REI Half Dome 2 Plus

Floor size is 98 x 56 inches. This tent is an excellent…

Summary

Floor size is 98 x 56 inches. This tent is an excellent choice for taller people. I am 6'2" and have plenty of length. It is a breeze to set up, a breeze to take down, and has enough tie down points to withstand some pretty high wind. Excellent ventilation — never have a problem with condensation in the Pacific Northwest.

Pros

• Sized large enough for tall people
  • Free-standing, quick setup and take-down
  • Well ventilated

Cons

• Two separate zippers on the doors, necessary due to the shape.
  • Small gap at corner of doors where zippers come together

I have used this tent for about 20 nights. No problems. Just used it in some serious wind, estimated at gusts of 30 knots. Tent caved in on the upwind side some, but sprang right back out when the gust passed. No broken poles.

It is a little bulky, so definitely is best for either car camping, rafting, or kayak camping. But for kayak camping a smaller/less bulky tent would be better. I cannot recommend it for backpacking: too bulky and too heavy.

It has six small storage pockets, 3 on each side, and two net "attic" areas for fairly small items. Cannot easily hang clothes from the attic though.

Plenty of headroom for a 6' 2" tall person.

All parts are color coded for easy set-up: black on one end and orange on the other end.

Stakes that come with the tent are a little wimpy. I mainly use better ones.

Takes 12 stakes to full pin it down: 4 on the tent corners, 2 on the doors, 2 on each end of the fly, and 4 additional tie-down points on the corners about 1/2 way up the fly.

Have used this tent for about six nights so far, winter…

Design: three-season freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: easy
Weight: est. 5 lbs
Price Paid: $119 on sale

Have used this tent for about six nights so far, winter conditions, in wooded area as well as open and breezy conditions in a snowstorm. Temps well below freezing, chill below 0.

First, I really like the design -- 2 doors and very generous vestibules -- great for leaving snowy gear outside and accessible. Floor space is adequate for two, very good for one, vent system works well. Viewing window is okay, but limits view (not a big deal for me). Clips are great to work with, tent feels stable in a 25-mph wind. Also packs well, good for kayaks as well.

The fly is difficult to make taut at ground level. I still haven't figured out how to completely eliminate the slight flapping in a wind. Also, the fly could stand to be a little closer to the ground -- powdery snow easily blew under and up against the tent wall. On a windy, cold night, I could feel a lot of breeze thru the tent. Other than that, no problems.

Overall, a good value. Light, packable, sturdy for moderate conditions.

I bought this tent (made in 2002) in the 2007 camping…

Design: Three season backpacking
Ease of Setup: Super easy

I bought this tent (made in 2002) in the 2007 camping season and I'm using it again this year (2008). I bought this tent used and it was a great choice. It is the same as REI's current Halfdome 2 HC, but you can get these on eBay or garage sales for much less.

I've been backpacking for over 15 years and this is one of the best (and cheapest) tents I've ever had. Lots of room inside, but still has a pack weight that is acceptable. Lots of ventilation and big vestibules and best of all...2 doors...a MUST for me.

If you can find one of these used, grab it! REI tents last for decades. If you can't get one of these used, I would recommend looking at a new Half Dome 2 HC (the same just more $$$).

This tent is great for 2 big people to bring out backpacking…

Summary

This tent is great for 2 big people to bring out backpacking or car camping. It's big, breathable, sturdy, easy to set up, and a pretty good price for what you get.

Pros

• Roomy
  • Easy to set up
  • Holds up in bad weather

Cons

• Heavy for one person

I don't think I'll ever use another tent, even when luxury camping. My boyfriend and I, both plus sized and around 6 ft tall, fit perfectly in this beast along with most of our gear. It's about 6lbs and it's easy to split the weight between 2 people to be around 3lbs each.

The poles and tent are color coordinated and the tent is free standing and pretty easy to set up after the first time, the two of us can set it up in under 2 minutes. The tent pulls taut with only the poles and the rainfly pulls taught with a little use of the guy-lines.

It's rained on us pretty much every time we go out so this tent has been tested in some pretty wet conditions and has held up pretty well. It has only leaked water in once and I think it was because my other half shook the tent trying to get some of the water beads off.

It has 2 vents on the ceiling that work pretty well, I don't think I've ever had condensation in my tent aside from a little moisture between the floor of the tent and my sleeping pad. There are 2 pockets on the ceiling along with one in each corner and a loop in the middle, great for hanging a lantern from from.

I honestly just can not say enough good things about this tent. It's light, spacious, affordable, and dependable. I think I'm in love!

Just a great tent. Best I've owned. Big, well designed.

Price Paid: Couple hundred

Summary

Just a great tent. Best I've owned. Big, well designed.

Pros

• Large size for weight
  • Pockets
  • Extended fly
  • Price/value
  • Design

Cons

• Maybe weight

Used many times, mostly on bicycle trips. My wife and I used it for 10 days in a row comfortably. I will take extra weight for size and this tent has perfect balance.

Set it up a few times before you use it. Can be a bit confusing, but once you understand it's quite easy. YouTube has setup videos.

Watertight, very roomy, great storage pockets on sides and ceiling, two doors, extended fly has kept my gear bone dry. I can't imagine a better tent.

Roomy, Packable, and all around Good. Setup: Color…

Summary

Roomy, Packable, and all around Good.

Pros

• Roomy
  • Packs well
  • Comes in a compressible stuff sack

Cons

• Heavier than some
  • Rain fly can be difficult

Setup: Color coded legs make setup quite easy. The rain fly took a few tries to get taut, but it was my first time pitching it.

Stability: This thing is rock solid.

Weather Resistance: When it is zipped up, it's as watertight as a beaver coated in Vaseline. That being said, if you open the rain fly in wet conditions you might drip some water into the tent. A taut pitch helps, but doesn't eliminate the potential for water entry. A critical note here is that I have the 2012, 2-Vent version of this product.

Ventilation: I had no condensation on a 340degree night inside the tent. I did have both roof vents open.

Room & Storage: Can you say palatial? Is that even a word? This thing is HUGE. Also, it has as many pockets as those tactical pants that have a custom made pocket for everything. I ran out of gear to put in the pockets long before I ran out of pockets.

Packability: For the size it is when pitched, it packs darn well. Compression straps on the stuff sack improve this even more.

Ease of Use: If you're the kind of person that has trouble opening a can of soup, this might be confusing. If, however, you've previously operated a tent, you will love the simplicity of this design.

Features: Near vertical walls make it feel quite roomy.

Construction & Durability: Built to last, I think.

Conditions: 2 Nights, one without rain fly and one with.  Both in the 30's, and relatively dry.

Big enough for a couple people, plus their gear! The…

Summary

Big enough for a couple people, plus their gear!

Pros

• Can stand up just the rainfly and footprint
  • Easy setup

Cons

• None so far!

The only problem I have had with my tent so far was getting the rainfly to fit right. That being said, it was dark, about 15 degrees colder than I was packed for and I had never put the rainfly on it before that! Totally my fault!

After the sun came up and I was able to take my gloves off for a minute the problem was an east fix. I bought the footprint also, which definitely helped keep us dry as we set the tent up in the snow. One very cool feature is that you can just set up the rainfly, and the bugnet / floor part of the tent only clips to the poles. If you're in a storm that can be a tremendous thing to have on your side for a dry place to sleep!!!

The tent overall is very tight, with near verticle walls. It also has the best repair kit I have ever seen with a tent! As with any tent I would recommend getting the footpritnt and always bringing a sewing kit along.

Overall I love it though! Simple setup, extremely water tight, and very tight when it's set up.

This tent has survived the pouring rain of Big Sur,…

Summary

This tent has survived the pouring rain of Big Sur, the wind of the Badlands, and freezing temps and snow in Yosemite. Highly recommended!

Pros

• Inner pockets
  • Rain protection

Lightweight, spacious tent with a great price. Perfect…

Summary

Lightweight, spacious tent with a great price. Perfect for two people.

Pros

• light weight
  • roomy vestibules
  • roomy

This lightweight, spacious tent from REI is great for backpacking. Two pole freestanding design allows for ample room without adding weight and also has plenty of storage for gear. Two vestibules, gear lofts, and corner pockets.

Dynomite...last tent I will ever buy!

Dynomite...last tent I will ever buy!

Wonderful tent! Love it. Easy to set up: clip, clip…

Design: 3 season freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: Easy as 123
Weight: 5 lbs plus a few oz.
Price Paid: $55 @ used gear sale

Wonderful tent! Love it. Easy to set up: clip, clip stake out and DONE. Comes with guylines attached, and a nice little compression sack for tent. Good ventilation with 2 pockets and a loft. Fits 2 Z-Rests comfortably. Can't wait to use again.

Also, there is a great little feature in which u can set up the tent with just footprint, poles, and rainfly.

This is a great tent at a great price by a great company

Well, what can I say, I have this tent and I also…

Design: freestanding tent w/ a stakeable fly
Ease of Setup: Tent: very easy, Fly: moderate
Weight: 5lb 12oz

Well, what can I say, I have this tent and I also have a $375 Dana Design Arja. Seven out of 10 times I take the Half Dome. It is very light, packs small, durable, stands up to high winds on the rim of the Great Canyon, completely waterproof, and warm enough for most weather. The ventilation is great in the summer time and the fly door even rolls up and clips to one of the poles. The tent is very easy to set up, even in a sandstorm. The fly takes a little thinking to figure out which end is the front. Inside, the tent has a mesh attic that is very convenient to keep some light gear, as well as a large pocket next to each door. The 2 door and 2 vestubule design is great for 2 people--no need to crowd your gear in one small vestubule.

Overall from the past year's use I would guve it a 9 out of 10 score.

My wife and I received this tent as a wedding gift…

Design: Freestanding Dome
Ease of Setup: Easy
Weight: 5 lbs

My wife and I received this tent as a wedding gift last summer. We have used it for camping and backpacking throughout northern California. First thing first: this tent is awesome. I did not think a company could improve on the two pole dome design but REI has done it. This tent has all the options at a great price. Two doors and two vestibules make getting in/out of the tent a breeze and allows plenty of storage for boots and packs. It has a mesh attic and plenty of pockets to store small things. The tent is plenty long for my 6'2" frame as well.

The tent is very well consructed and has withstood the weather without complaining. It offers plenty of ventilation options even with the rain fly attached. Two rods in the fly allow the top to be open even during light rain. Reflective zipper pulls are great at night when nature calls. The window in the fly is great for looking outside to see if the bear canisters are in one piece. We highly encourage people looking for a solid two person, three season tent to buy this tent. It has all the features and quality of a tent costing twice as much.