REI Mountain 3

First off this tent is roomy but the smaller vestibule…

Design: 4 season freestanding
Ease of Setup: once or twice at home and good to go
Weight: 9 lbs 13 oz w/o footprint

First off this tent is roomy but the smaller vestibule is small. You might fit boots in there but that is about it. It fits 2 people with ease and three comfortably.

The window is a nice feature but zips up kind of sticky part way. The tent vented reasonably for 0 degrees and held up to 80 mile an hour gusts with all the tieouts. You will need different stakes for snow and more to use all the tieouts. It is very waterproof and little condensation with the top vent open.

It is a little heavy and hard to split among 2 people because of the top vent design (needed to separate pole from fly otherwise would have gave five stars. All in all a very good tent!

My fiance and I bought this tent for two particular…

Design: Four-season dome
Ease of Setup: Challenging the first, but extremely easy after
Weight: 8 lbs. 13 oz.

My fiance and I bought this tent for two particular hiking trips (but there will be more in the future). The first to Big Bend and the second to Colorado. We just got back from Big Bend and it did fantastic! It takes a bit to set up the first time, but once you figure everything out it's easy. Thought it would be hot for the desert, but it breathed very nicely. We also got hit with wind and rain, no problem. We even set it up in a poor drainage area with water pooling under the tent and not a drop came in. (However, we did move it to a better drainage area once the rain stopped. Why take the chance when you don't have to?)

I personally would not use this for a car-camping tent, but that's because we usually car-camp with two dogs and a queen air-mattress. This tent would fit my need better as a backpacking tent, but it isn't the lightest tent out there so we have to split up the weight a little bit more between two people. Once set up, no worries, sleeps two easily with both backpacks in the tent. I LOVE THIS TENT!

REI also offers an incredible return/exchange program.

REI Mountain 3

The REI Mountain 3 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 2, 2012 at REI.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.