REI Stratus Insulated Air Pad

Good backpacking air mattress, you won't roll off…

Summary

Good backpacking air mattress, you won't roll off it at night, not the lightest out there. REI used to have an excellent lifetime warranty, but this was the last REI branded item I purchased as the staff is now rude and doesn't honor returns on defective items beyond a couple of months.

Pros

• Insulated
  • Won't easily puncture
  • Larger side air channels to prevent rolling off
  • User friendly air nozzle
  • Does not make crinkle noise when turning in sleep
  • Inexpensive compared to other brands

Cons

• Heavy at 24oz for large size
  • Takes time to inflate by mouth

Nice green color, sturdy construction, larger outside air channels to prevent you from rolling off in the night, very user friendly air nozzle.  The material is quiet compared to Thermarest which makes crinkle noise that wakes me up whenever I turn over.

This mattress has given me the best sleep so far. No need to take a separate closed cell foam pad. It is relatively heavy but it makes up in comfort and assurance that you won't wake up on the cold ground with a deflated pad.

I've had this mattress for 16 months and gone on several backpacking and camping trips. I choose this to sleep on even when car camping. I have used in below freezing weather and on hot summer nights. I took it on backpacking trip to the Zion Narrows.  Slept like a baby.

Lightweight and comfortable. I really like this pad,…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Lightweight and comfortable.

Pros

• Rugged

Cons

• Cold

I really like this pad, but wish it had a slightly higher R value. I took it out for the first time in January as I received it as a Christmas present and the temperature got down into the low 30s. I was using a 32 degree Mountain Hardwear bag with a liner and ended up with a couple of cold spots.

Since I was doing some testing for a first run I luckily brought my 0 degree Mountain Hardwear bag also and was warm once I switched bags. I did get a really comfortable night's sleep.

I generally use a Therm-a-Rest BaseCamp self-inflating mat, since I do mostly car camping, but this mat was much more comfortable. The fabric is rugged and I look forward to many good years of use.