Salomon Mega Trek 6 Light GTX

Sorry guys, but I love mine. I froze a couple of toes…

Price Paid: $219 CDN

Sorry guys, but I love mine.

I froze a couple of toes last winter, and I found the only boot last that didn't hurt was Salomon's. I tried the Quest 4D, but my feet got soggy in the snow after the leather on top wetted out and stopped the GTX from breathing.

I went looking for a pair of leather boots instead so I could waterproof them myself, and found the Mega Trek 6 halfway across the country. Got them home and waxed them, did a couple of short break-in hikes, then set out on a 9-day peak-a-day trip from the south end of the Canadian Rockies to the north.

They worked like a charm! Like most well-builtĀ  leather boots, these are the kind of boots you don't need to take off after a long day of hiking. No blisters, good ankle support, and the Mountain Contagrip soles (now replaced by Contagrip) are one of the toughest materials I've ever found. Still no signs of wear after one of my more active summers in rugged mountain terrain.

The only problem is that Salomon isn't making them any more! I'm keeping my eyes open, but I haven't found any remaining in my size. If anybody sees a pair of Size 11s, let me know!

I found these boots in an insurance salvage store…

Materials: Leather, curdura, rubber, Gore-Tex liner
Use: dayhikes, light backpacking
Break-in Period: still working on it, but not out of the box comfort
Weight: very light for ankle support provided

I found these boots in an insurance salvage store at an incredible $100 savings off of the retail price of $145. So, I thought, what the heck, I'll give 'em a try. They fit very snug, which is a good thing on the trail, but they have been tough to break in.

The first day I wore them around work, and I work mostly indoors, they hurt my feet. I may have had them laced a bit tight, but I just laced them as I would if I was going on a hike. I would definitely say they do not offer "out of the box comfort" as I have seen them described elsewhere.

If you are looking for a boot with some serious ankle support these might be a good choice. They definitely feel like a product from Salomon- a stiff ski boot. I have yet to use them on a trail, but I'm sure that I won't have to worry about rolling an ankle if I do.

I definitely prefer my old school Vasque Skywalks and Sundowners to these boots, but I can't complain much for the price I paid. They definitely seem well made and tough as nails. They may run a bit smaller than other brands, they seem just a bit tight compared to my Vasque boots of the same size.

WORST BOOTS EVER!!! They just fall down in pieces,…

Materials: gore tex
Use: hiking
Break-in Period: 2 days

WORST BOOTS EVER!!! They just fall down in pieces, took a trip to Patagonia, the Gore-tex just hold the water for 3 days, then it seems that the membrane broke somehow and all my feet ended wet.The stitches broke in 20 days of use.

I'm really dissapointed whit this boots and specially with Salomon. They make good looking stuff but crap quality.

Just don't waste your money and go at least for an Asolo boot.

Sorry by the spelling, I'm not an English speaker.

The Salomon Mega Trek 6 Light GTX hiking boot is a performance driven rugged terrain hiker. The Mega Trek 6 is up for anything from technical day hikes to weekend backpacking trips. It's also the lightest boot in Salomon's Mega Trek line. Salomon's Advanced Chassis system stabilizes your feet over uneven terrain, without losing energy from your stride. The bootie-construction liner adds comfort. The Gore-Tex membrane keeps your feet dry from outside moisture (like the "small" river you just tromped through), while a thick PU midsole and beefy rubber toe cap keep your tootsies protected from rocks and abrasion. The high cuff protects and supports your ankles as you trot your way to the peak.

Free Shipping. Salomon Men's Mega Trek 6 Light GTX Boot (Fall 2007) The Mega Trek 6 Light GTX by Salomon, with its lightweight textile vamp and waterproof bootie, lightens your load without ever sacrificing protection or traction. Specifications for the Salomon Mega Trek 6 Light GTX:Weight1 lb 5 oz (SIZE US 7 Ws) 1 lb 9 oz (SIZE US 9 Ms) UpperStrategically placed textile parts Waterproof split suede leather Selflocking eyelet Optimized fit for Women Protective rubber toe cap Liningmembrane: Gore-Tex lining construction: Full bootie construction Sole Constructionoutsole: Mountain Contagrip chassis: 2D Advanced ChassisTM midsole: PU sockliner: OrthoLite

2D Advanced Chassis midsole supports help control twisting on uneven ground and protect feet from sharp stones. AutoFIT memory foam wraps ankles and feet for a secure, custom fit. High-traction Mountain Contagrip rubber outsoles deliver reliable traction and braking on all types of terrain. Long-lasting split-grain and nylon uppers offer flexibility, breathability and lightweight comfort. Padded, gusseted tongues relieve lace pressure while keeping out trail debris and moisture. Removable Ortholite footbeds add shock absorption; antimicrobial treatment deters odors. Rubber toe rands protect feet and uppers from bumps and abrasion; rubber heel wrap improves stability. Seam-sealed Gore-Tex liners offer excellent protection from water, yet allow moisture vapor to escape, keeping feet from overheating. Self-locking eyelets help keep laces from slipping as the miles tick by; heel loops assist with entry. Shock-absorbing polyurethane midsoles supply lasting comfort and support. Waterproof Salomon Mega Trek 6 Light GTX hikers lighten your load without sacrificing protection or traction. Wicking nylon linings absorb and disperse excess moisture for comfort.

The Salomon men's Mege Trek 6 Light GTX waterproof hiking boot features Gore-Tex membranes which provide superior waterproof protection and breathability. The Advanced Chassis maximizes motion control, energy management and push through protection for an efficient, stable and responsive ride.

- FogDog Sports

Salomon Men's Mega Trek 6 Light GTX

The Men's Mega Trek 6 Light GTX has been discontinued.

The Salomon Men's Mega Trek 6 Light GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 12, 2010 at Backcountry.com.