Salomon X Ultra GTX Mid

Overall I have never felt so 'one' with a shoe. The…

Summary

Overall I have never felt so 'one' with a shoe. The fit and thickness of the sole is exactly right and it is a pleasure to climb up steep terrain, or run down it. For long hard days I wish it had more rock protection, but not sure this is possible and keep the excellent feel of the trail.

Pros

• Great mix of support and flexibility
  • Incredible fit, for narrow to normal foot
  • Very durable upper
  • Very durable soul

Cons

• Wish it had more rock protection
  • Wish they had a non-GTX version

Design:

I think these are designed as a burly trail runner or trimmed hiking boot. They offer a good feel of the trail while giving more support and durability than a lot of trail runners.

Fit:

I love these. But, with footwear more than anything, fit is everything so it depends. If you have a narrow or perhaps also normal foot, these fit really really well. Heel stays solidly in place, but toes have enough wiggle room. I bought these in my normal hiking shoes/boots size and they are a good length. Even in ten hour tropical rains I never got any blisters in these.

Construction of the upper is very tough, no stitching getting loose and nothing holds on to the material so much as with other boots/trainers.

I do wish they came in a non-GTX version as well, as they will get soaked in continuous steady downpours during the raining season. I have not yet owned another shoe or boot that didn't though.

Water resistance:

Trekking twice a week during the rainy season in Japan my experience has been that when there is sustained rain my socks will start to feel wet after two hours. Then they will be soaked and sogging in 2,5 hours. I've had this happen quite consistently while hiking in continuous rain. The rain I'm talking about varies from normal sustained to intense sustained rain, sometimes was a bit less, sometimes a bit more. But my shoes never stayed dry for more than 2~2,5 hours.

I'm not talking about this shoe vs. another shoe, I'm talking about any GTX lined boot I personally ever had.

I think there might still be cases where GTX lined boots could be good. In mild snow trails where you are not constantly subjected to lots of snow or water the GTX liners keep your feet warmer and dry enough if you combine them with a gaiter.

Support:
Mid-sole is a good balance between some cushioning and solidity which give you a very secure feel when scrambling over rocks. You get a good feel of the trail (good proprioception) which makes you move more securely. There is a hint of a rock plate I think but I do get a tired/battered feet on my treks/runs. I do long days over rocky terrain though and although I start to feel it after 30Km, it is from 40 to 50Km (25~30miles) that this really starts to be an issue.

The outer sole has good grip, and the rubber seems to last quite a lot longer than similar boots I have with Vibram under them. Was kind of amazed by the difference in durability. I have used these once or twice a week for 24~50Km each time and I only recently ordered my second pair.

Overall:

salomon-x-ultra-mid.jpg

Daniel Oates

I have the Quest 4D GTX, similar but higher ankle support. I enjoy the wider toe box as well. Glad you enjoy them. Thanks for the review Jakuchu!

Jakuchu

I have tried the Quest's. I feel they are significantly more supportive, and have a bit wider last (fit). They do have good front foot flexibility. The foot protection is welcome, but for me the higher cut didn't work for how I move (I walk fast but also run a lot in between - the X Ultra's are great for that). I would like to buy a pair of Quest's for when I go a bit slower, but more days. But had to get another pair of these first to ensure I can keep on doing what I'm normally doing. Thanks for the heads up.