Sawyer Water Filter Squeeze Pouch

Great concept of a system. Water filter itself is…

Source: Gift

Summary

Great concept of a system. Water filter itself is amazing. The bags lack strength and durability. They are the weak link in the system.

Pros

• The squeeze action is very fast
  • Versatile sizes
  • Very light
  • Very compact

Cons

• Seam failure
  • Not very durable
  • No toughness

The bags work fine and as advertised, until...At least for the 32 ounce size, both my daughter's and my bags failed when dropped when full. She dropped hers onto a snow bank from about 2 feet, full, and mine -- essentially brand new -- slipped from my hands at about 4 feet. They both failed at the top seam next to the bottle neck.

Filter, I love, but Sawyer is hands off with the failed bags, reporting the consumer can purchase replacements. The smaller bags seem to be a little better.

After the failure of my daughter's bag, I took a plastic water bottle that fit the filter and used it mainly to filter the water. I used the bags mostly to carry water to camp, and squeeze the water only while sitting to reduce the risk of dropping the wet bags and splitting them (which I wound up doing on another trip).

I recommend the filter, but I have my reservations about the bags.

Light, easy to use, we came up with a few solutions…

Summary

Light, easy to use, we came up with a few solutions to some of the downfalls Weak bags and dripping bags in rivers.

Pros

• Light
  • Pack into small area
  • Easy to use

Cons

• Sawyer bags are weak and break
  • Dipping hand in to COLD stream to fill

We found the  Filter Squeeze Pouch system easy to use, But dripping the bag in to the cold stream first thing in the morning was not fun. We found storing the system into a 1 gallon heavy duty ziplock bag allowed us to fill the bag and pour the water into the filter bag.

The other downfall is we have had the squeeze bags break. Sawyer does not support this failure of their product and will not listen to your complaints... We found the Platypus bags screw right on to the filter (we also experimented with others and found some 1 ltr. bags at the "dollar store" which were stronger and worked fine with the system... )

Bottom line: Highly recommend the filter.. fast easy and light and small.. but trash their bags and you'll be thankful you did.

Use these Sawyer 64 fl. oz. Water Filter Squeeze pouches together with the Sawyer Squeeze water filter (sold separately) to make potable water while you're backpacking.

On Sale. Sawyer Squeezable Pouch - Set of 3 FEATURES of the Sawyer Squeezable Pouch - Set of 3 Ability to roll up, it takes up virtually no space in your pack Simply fill up the pouch of your choice at a lake, stream or river, screw the filter directly onto the pouch and 1) Squeeze the bag and filter water into your water bottle or container of choice, 2) Drink directly from the filter which has a built in push pull cap for on/off functions, 3) Attach the filter onto most threaded water bottles including 2 liter bottles Kit includes: Lightweight Durable Collapsible Pouches (reusable), Sawyer 0.10 Absolute Micron Hollow Fiber Membrane Screw On/Off Water Filter, Replaceable Pop Up Drinking Spout, Cleaning Syringe Life Expectancy: 1 Million Gallons Guaranteed

If you need to replace your Sawyer Squeeze Filter pouch-or just want to have a few extras-this set of three 32 oz. pouches is just for you.

- EMS