Scarpa Alpha

A solid performer. Great on a snowy approach and great…

Source: bought it used

Summary

A solid performer. Great on a snowy approach and great for technical pitches of ice and rock. They have a low ankle collar to allow for gymnastic moves. I don't use them very often due to it being a warmer climate where I go for alpine climbing trips, but when I do use them, I'm satisfied.

Pros

• Affordable
  • Versatile
  • Quality is good

Cons

• Run a little small

Scarpa Alphas work well for all conditions but the most extreme cold. They work well with most crampon types and are lightweight for a double-boot.

They do run a bit small, so size up for sure. I have a medium wide foot and they seem to fit find width-wise. My street shoe size is 11.5. I can wear a double-mountaineering boot in size 11 through 12.5, with 11.5 and 12 being the most comfortable for me with a sock layering system.

The Scarpa Alphas I have are size 11 and they are comfortable for a liner sock and mid-weight insulation sock for Spring and colder summer climbing in lots of mushy wet snow during approach hikes and low angle mountaineering.

The Scarpa Alpha, an amazing double plastic boot.

Materials: Plastic
Use: High altitude, cold weather mountaineering/ winter Alpinism/ expedition climbing
Break-in Period: None, they are ready to use right away, and fit snugly straight away as well
Weight: 900 grams
Price Paid: 75 Euro

The Scarpa Alpha, an amazing double plastic boot. Thanks to its plastic outer shell and carbon fiber footbed, it's incredibly light, (at 900 grams!) actually one of the, if not the, lightest mountaineering boots on the market.

And considering it has much better insulation and is much warmer than any other lightweight shoes, it's really worth it's 5 star rating. And it's amazingly warm, thanks to the thick insulated inner shoe, making it well suited for alpine winter climbing or high altitude expeditions.

Its sole is as stiff as concrete, and together with its toe and heel bail it's perfectly suited for any type of crampon, from lightweight flexible walking crampons to fully rigid technical ice climbing crampons.

On top of all of this, I was even actually that incredibly lucky that they were on a bargain, from 320 Euro for an incredible 75 Euro! Obviously I bought me a pair straight away, they are now an addition to my Koflach Verticals, both plastics.

Great boot, very warm and dry. Automatic crampon compatible.

Materials: Plastic
Use: Mountaineering, Ice Climbing
Break-in Period: one hike

Great boot, very warm and dry. Automatic crampon compatible. The only problem I have is tightening them really tight. I got them on sale for $200--great buy for that price.

If you've owned or used a Scarpa Alpha, please share your experience.

Scarpa Alpha

The Alpha has been discontinued.

The Scarpa Alpha is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 11, 2008 at GearTrade.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.