Scarpa Crux

Very comfortable. Great for approach. I really like…

Price Paid: $95 US

Summary

Very comfortable. Great for approach.

Pros

• Comfy
  • All-day wear everywhere
  • Grip well

Cons

• Can feel sharp rocks through soles
  • Compresion of cushioning between sole rubber and shoe

I really like this shoe. I usually wear an 8 and settled on a 39 which I think is a little bigger than a 7.5. I wear these shoes everywhere.

I have a collapsed left arch and prominent navicular bones. This means my navicular often hangs over the edge of the sole of most shoes and it can get quite uncomfortable if there is any sort of arch in the shoe. These have no arch support and so work great for me.

The toe box is roomy enough for my otherwise average width forefoot. The heel cup might be one of the best things on this shoe though. It's almost like having a climbing shoe on when you go uphill, there is no slippage and it even feels like actually cups around your heel to hold it there.

No break-in time needed. Just slip them on and go. I did take them up to the Wind Rivers too very shortly after I got them for a backpacking trip. I could have wished for something with a little more support for my ankles, but that is just me. I know many people carry pretty heavy loads without big boots. I have funky feet though and rarely go backpacking and with climbing gear to boot. So I'm not used to that heavy of a load for that many miles.

My main concern with the shoe is that the sole will not last as long as I'd like it to. Because my feet are so hard to fit I hate shoe shopping and hope for my shoes to last several years. The sole on this shoe between the rubber outsole and shoe bed is a firmish foam like material. I can already see some compression of it. I wonder if I'll be able to make it make than a year. Also because the actually shoe sole is a softer rubber for extra stickiness I don't see it lasting for several years either.

Low profile, comfortable shoe that works awesome for…

Summary

Low profile, comfortable shoe that works awesome for hikes in to the local crag and to climb in.

Pros

• Low profile
  • Quick break-in time

Cons

• The rubber on the toe of the shoe appears to be separating

I have worn the Scarpa Crux approach shoes on a climbing trip through Wyoming as well as a spring's worth of trips to my local crags in Arkansas. So far, I have been very impressed with the shoe.

Quick break-in time, low profile shoe that is nice so that I am less likely to roll my ankles. I get a great sense of feel of the ground beneath my feet and climbing in the shoes is awesome. I climbed as well in the Crux as some of my mates did in their actual climbing shoes.

I would highly recommend this shoe, although I have noticed the rubber to separate from the shoe. Right now it is minimal, but I do have a slight cause for concern that it could get worse. Still TBD on that part.

Great overall approach shoe. They do the job. Good…

Summary

Great overall approach shoe. They do the job. Good for scrambling up rock, hiking and around town. I would highly recommend these shoes.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Sticky

Cons

• None

I got back into climbing again after 15 years and was looking for a comfortable approach shoe. I was running marathons and so I'm always looking for light and roomy. My feet are pretty beat up over time.

I love these shoes. They are light, comfortable, easy to scramble up rock, or just hiking and they look great for around town. They fit true to size and have enough cushion not to feel the ground while carrying a pack.

The Scarpa Crux Men's Approach Shoe is an ideal shoe for wearing casually around town, on the trail, and on moderate climbs.

- CampSaver.com refers to the men's version

Lace up the Scarpa Crux approach shoes and make the hike to the day's objective. Doing a moderate climb? Don't bother switching into rock shoes. The Crux can handle scrambling and light climbing.

- REI refers to the men's version

Scarpa figured out the perfect blend of flex and support in the Crux. This lightweight approach shoe is one of the most comfortable we've tried on in awhile. Hike in, rope up, climb up, tie off, rap off, downclimb, hike out, drive out, hit the pub. It won't get left in the car, as it's nearly as light as your Chacos, but delivers true technical performance. Lightweight Microporous EVA midsole is light and cushioned for trail use, yet still stiff enough for climbing, or even standing in aiders Slight padding around ankle Forefoot webbing with Kevlar(R)secures foot for precision climbing Super sticky non-marking Vibram(R) Vertical Approach sole Climbing style lacing gives you truly customized control Medium volume forefoot, runs slightly big

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

Part of Scarpa's Planet Friendly initiative to support more sustainable manufacturing practices, the Crux Shoe makes every approach or hike all about a true nature experience. An upper comprised of suede and recycled polyester airmesh encourages ventilation so you aren't sweated out within your first 15 minutes of hiking, and a Vibram Vertical Approach sole helps you get traction on steep surfaces. A microporous EVA midsole cushions under proven pressure zones to maintain comfort even during the most trying approach.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. Scarpa Men's Crux Shoe FEATURES of the Scarpa Men's Crux Shoe Forefoot webbing with Kevlar secures forefoot for climbing precision Rubber toe rand Super sticky Vibram Vertical Approach sole Planet Friendly SPECIFICATIONS of the Scarpa Men's Crux Shoe Upper: Suede, recycled polyester airmesh Lining: Recycled Polyester Midsole: Microporous EVA Outsole: Vibram Vertical Approach Last: BN Weight: 1/2 per pair: 13.9 oz / 394 g

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version