Scarpa Ego

I have worn this shoe for over a year. Done a couple…

Break-in Period: 50mls?
Price Paid: $80 at REI sale

I have worn this shoe for over a year. Done a couple of Mt. Rainer day hikes and have been to Mt. Ellenor. However, I use these mostly for my walk to work- about 3 miles daily. Very comfortable for someone who is comfortable in hiking boots. This is not a light shoe and needs some breaking in.

A very well constructed trail shoe, supportive enough…

Materials: Synthetic upper, Vibram sole, not waterproof.
Use: Light to medium hikes with pack.
Break-in Period: First walk
Weight: 1kg pair.
Price Paid: $190 Aust.

A very well constructed trail shoe, supportive enough for overnight hikes with the gear that entails. I have worn Columbia and Hi-Tec shoes and boots before, and these Scarpas are a little broader in the forefoot than the other two makes. The lugged Vibram sole provided excellent grip on the steep, loose trails. There's a strong sense of stability about them that I really like and I won't use my full boots again except in very wet, cold conditions. My only complaint of them is that the inner footbed could be a little more cushioned, and because it seems a bit thin it doesn't mould to the foot as much as say the Columbias or Hi-Tecs.

Scarpa Ego

The Ego has been discontinued.

The Scarpa Ego is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 23, 2010 at Sierra Trading Post.