Scarpa Enigma XCR

I bought a pair of Scarpa Enigma XCR shoes five years…

Price Paid: £85

I bought a pair of Scarpa Enigma XCR shoes five years ago and I wear them just about every weekend and evening for light to moderate walks. I've used them in Spain, Argentina, Turkey and Kenya as well as in the UK.

I have found them comfortable, although I have had a few minor aches after full days in hot weather. They have remained waterproof the whole time. Unfortunatley after five years they look a little scruffy and there is no tread left on the sole.

They have easily outlasted any other walking shoe of this type that I have ever owned and I have just ordered a new pair for £69.95 which I think offers excellent value.

I liked these boots a lot. I purchased them in 2008,…

Materials: gore-tex upper
Use: dayhikes, lightweight pack, short thru-hikes
Break-in Period: 10 miles at most
Weight: don't remember

I liked these boots a lot. I purchased them in 2008, and, since then have put approximately 300 miles on them. Their first "real test" was a 132 mile thru-hike of the Adirondack Park (Northville-Placid Trail).

The shoe is constructed very well. The sole is still stiff and perfectly sealed (the way I personally like it), the tread is still in great shape, they're still not taking in water. I've carried up to 30 pounds on my back with these shoes and can say that I haven't suffered any additional fatigue or back/leg pain from doing so.

The only thing I didn't like is that they rubbed on my ankle a little bit at first. I slipped a pair of Scholl's gel heel inserts into them and "wahlah," problem fixed and I've been abusing them ever since!

I'm actually online looking for the same boot as I write this. Definitely worth a try.

Extremely comfortable and didn't let in a drop of…

Materials: Gore-tex, suade leather
Use: day hikes/ trails
Price Paid: £90

Extremely comfortable and didn't let in a drop of water after hiking around a lot of New Zealand and Australia. However, after only 8 months of sporadic wear on weekends, the material around the rim has worn through and the padding is showing. Not what I expect from such an expensive and well regarded brand.

I'm reluctant to throw away as they are comfortable but not suitable for their purpose any more. Will think twice before buying this type of shoe again. Leather pairs that I have had for the past 20 years are showing no signs of wear, but they are boots and I wanted a light hiking shoe!!

I shall continue looking, but beware of this model as the material is substandard.

Scarpa Enigma XCR

The Enigma XCR has been discontinued.

The Scarpa Enigma XCR is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 28, 2011 at US Outdoor Store.