Scarpa Epic

men's half sizes men's size 42 women's 38
Sizes Euro men's 39-47, 48 - - -
Euro women's 36-43 (half sizes)
Weight - - 13.6 ounces per shoe 11.4 ounces per shoe

The Scarpa Epic shoes are the type of footwear that…

Price Paid: $65 (I think).

Summary

The Scarpa Epic shoes are the type of footwear that are rather hard to categorize. Are they hikers? Trail runners? Approach shoes? Really, I don't know, nor do I care what they're called. They are comfortable and light, which is what I was looking for.

Pros

• Look good
  • Breathe

Cons

• Slightly narrow for my foot

Unless I'm planning a backpacking trip where I know I'm going to be carrying some weight (more than 15 or 20 lbs) I like a shoe with multiple personalities. I usually start wearing this type of footwear as a casual, everyday shoe. Where it around the property, where it in town to shop or eat.

After a few months of that it "graduates" to car camping and light hiking trips. I know they are not made for 20 miles a day over rock and scree and swamp with a multi-day pack on your back, and I don't ask that of them.

I've had the shoes at least 6 months now and these are the first Scarpa brand shoes I've owned. I can say I usually wear Salomon footwear but I bought these based on Scarpa's reputation and the price was right.

Going through the Trailspace check list, I feel the fit is right on the money, though ever so slightly narrow for my foot. Not uncomfortably narrow, just one of those things I notice when first putting them on and 15 minutes later have forgotten about. The lacing does help to adjust the fit and Scarpa's method of fit adjustment is quite effective.

No break-in was needed. These shoes never had any hot spots or pinch points for me.

So far I have used these shoes as described above, ie, around the house and around town as well as some day hiking with a light daypack in Rocky Mountain National Park and in the sweaty woods of East Texas. They have proved to have good "breathability" and temperature control hasn't been a problem. I haven't had them out in any nasty wintry type weather so I can't comment on their waterproofness. In tall grass with heavy dew I haven't had an issue with them wetting through.

All in all I'm happy with the Scarpa Epic Trail Running/Light Hiking/Casual wear shoe, and if the fit works with your foot shape I think you'll be happy.

Manufacturer's Description refers to the men's version

Whether it’s long-distance hiking, approaching a climb or backpacking with a light shoe, the SCARPA Epic is game for hammering out the miles and the vertical. Created for going lightweight and fast on the trail, this is a light hiker/approach shoe that incorporates trail-running technology and is surprisingly supportive for how little it weighs.

A dual-density midsole optimized for hiking, suede and synthetic uppers, a TPU forefoot plate for trail protection and a protective toe rand round out the details. EcoPure is added to the EVA midsole so it will break down quickly in landfills, and recycled materials are used in upper, lining and footbed construction.

Visit Scarpa's Men's Epic page.

Free Shipping. Scarpa Men's Epic Shoe FEATURES of the Scarpa Men's Epic Shoe Dual-density compression molded EVA cushions heel strike and protects forefoot area Sticky Rubber outsole TPU Crossbow and Trailplate Rubber toe rand provides protection at any speed Planet Friendly SPECIFICATIONS of the Scarpa Men's Epic Shoe Upper: Suede, recycled synthetic leather, recycled polyester mesh Plate: Trail Plate Midsole: Dual-Density Molded EVA Outsole: Trail-Speed with Sticky Rubber Last: AX1 Weight: 1/2 per pair: 13.6 oz / 386 g

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

Scarpa Think big days, long miles and lots of vertical-the Epic is about going the distance. Built for long approaches, fastpacking, and ambitious hikes, the Epic is a hiking shoe that balances trail running technology with approach shoe design and light trail functionality. Abrasion resistant uppers, sticky rubber and outsole toe randing keep the shoe protected in off-trail situations, while the light hiking support and trail running style chassis allow for moving fast in all kinds of backcountry conditions.. Upper: Suede, recycled synthetic leather, recycled polyester mesh. Plate: Trail Plate. Midsole: Dual-Density Molded EVA. Outsole: Trail-Speed with sticky rubber. Last: AX1/AXL1. Sizes: 39 - 47, 48 (half sizes). Weight: 386g; 13.6oz (1/2 pair size 42). Color: Pewter/Orange

- Tahoe Mountain Sports refers to the men's version

Think big days, long miles and lots of vertical ? the Epic is about going the distance. Built for long approaches, fastpacking, and ambitious hikes, the Epic is a hiking shoe that balances trail running technology with approach shoe design and light trail functionality. Abrasion resistant uppers, sticky rubber and outsole toe randing keep the shoe protected in off-trail situations, while the light hiking support and trail running style chassis allow for moving fast in all kinds of backcountry conditions.

- RockCreek refers to the men's version

A hybrid technical shoe that balances trail running technology with approach shoe design and light trail function, the SCARPA Men's Epic Trail Running Shoes are a perfect balance between speed and all-day comfort.

- Altrec Outdoors refers to the men's version