I bought these boots new from Jackson Sports in Belfast,…

Price Paid: 140 GBP

I bought these boots new from Jackson Sports in Belfast, U.K., and paid 140 GBP for them. Superb 3/4 season mountaineering boot. Took a while to break in, but after that fantastic especially with crampons. Superb buy.

I've used my Fitzroys all summer and, after enduring…

Materials: leather
Use: heavy backpacking
Break-in Period: 6 mos.
Weight: 4.5 lbs.

I've used my Fitzroys all summer and, after enduring months of stiffness, the soles and uppers are finally broken in.

To my knowledge, Scarpa still makes this model. They're still on the shelf at my local backpacking store and they're still on the Scarpa website: http://world.std.com/~fabiano/backpack.htm

I like these boots very much, but you should be sure you need a heavy backpacking boot before you buy them. They're definitely not for a stroll in the park, unless of course you're heading for a week in the Smokey Mountain National Park.

I think these are now discontinued, but in Missoula…

Materials: leather
Use: heavy pack/light mtneerin
Break-in Period: one year and still going
Weight: 5 ish lbs

I think these are now discontinued, but in Missoula (former home) I found them and haven't seen them anywhere else. Pretty heavy boot, very hard on my heels for the first 6 months (almost killed my right ankle on numerous occasions). After one year they seem pretty broken in but carrying a heavy pack and steep terrain will evoke hot spots and blistering, still.

I have to say I love these boots to death. I think they will last forever as long as I resole appropriately. I have finally broke the stiff sole down enough to where I can climb steep mts. comfortably.

I have just bought Black Diamond Switchblade crampons and I hope these boots work well with the step-in bindings.

If you can find these boots anywhere (maybe Missoula), I recommend them highly.