Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX

Was warm for a June summit of Mt. Rainier. Felt light…

Summary

Was warm for a June summit of Mt. Rainier. Felt light on my feet and never had an issue with blisters or wetness.

Pros

• Light
  • Warm
  • Water resistant

After considering plastic vs. leather and insulated vs. non-insulated I centered in on these boots for my June 2012 trip to Mt. Rainier. I used a Camp front bail type crampon and never had it fail me.

The boot was light enough for the all day trek to Camp Muir and warm enough that night when we left for the summit. Coming down it was hot and the snow was soft enough that you plunged two feet down with each step. I never had water come in the boot. The ankle cuff was just snug enough to keep out loose snow that got behind the gaiter.  The Perwanger leather did get a little wet but never came into the boot, thank you GTX.

Overall, great three-season mountaineering boot. Very comfortable with an added running shoe liner that I used in the footbed. No hesitation for summer trips. Would think about seals socks to keep inside just a little dryer from the feet sweat. Aired them out midday on way to camp Muir.

I am normally a 12.5-13 or 46.5  and I got the 47. It fit perfectly.

From day one, it fit me like a glove! No blisters,…

Price Paid: US$280 (on sale)

Summary

From day one, it fit me like a glove! No blisters, just comfort!

Pros

• Light

Cons

• Rubber may get cracks

I'd had bought a pair of Nepal Evos (La Sportiva), but after wearing them a couple of times, they became very tight on my feet and pushing on my toes, not comfortable at all. So I sold the EVOs and got a pair of Scarpa Mont Blancs.

They fit me perfectly from day one. Perfect fit on foot, heel and ankle. The lacing system (with a mid point) helps get the right fit both on the feet and ankle part of the boot. I have wide and flat feet, and Scarpas have always fit me perfectly. Just like other Scarpa boots, I've never had to break them in and have never had any blisters with them.

Living in NZ it's always hard to find good climbing boots that are light and waterproof enough to endure the long approaches in mixed terrain (kilometers and kilometers of walking along riverbeds and river crossings, muddy bush tracks, bush bashing and so on) but that are still warm and rigid enough to climb snow and ice. I've found this with the Scarpa Mont Blancs.

I've had them for over a year now, and I'm still very happy with them. They keep my feet warm, they are snug enough for ice climbing, but comfortable for walking long distances. They also keep my feet dry and are very breathable. The vibram sole is pretty grippy and holds well on slippery rocks.

My only tiny nit is the rubber around the front. I'd had it for a couple of weeks and while out on an overnight trip, I noticed a small crack on the rubber on my toe area. I couldn't be bothered sending it back, so I just used a product to cover the crack and have been using it  like that since then, having no more problems. I believe I may have just been unlucky, but you might want to keep that in mind.

Tried Mont Blancs this morning on a two hour mountain…

Price Paid: traded for faulty cumbres

Tried Mont Blancs this morning on a two hour mountain hike strait from the box, was like wearing air inflated socks. I had these as a replacement for faulty Cumbres. To be honest didn't think the Monts would cut it, but how wrong was I.

I nearly sent them back as the sole wear is not as chunky as the cumbres, but thought what the hell just have to resole sooner, but as they are lighter and a tad less stiffer I found there's no dragging or heel slip pulling them down. I will be using them every day for a couple of hours mountain hiking, ace grip inside and out, lots of flex, lots of stability. If they keep up this comfort I'll soon be having a second pair.

Visit Scarpa's Men's Mont Blanc GTX page.

Molto versatile! The Scarpa Mont Blanc is a stunning all-around mountaineering boot. Cover glacier expanses, conquer vertical ice. This all leather boot is not only lightweight and warm, but offers excellent fit and comfort. If your pursuits take you far above treeline and require the nimbleness of a mountain goat, look no further. 3 mm Perwanger leather offers exceptional durability and fit GORE TEX(R) Insulated Comfort offers insulation, waterproofedness, and durability for high altitude and cold temperatures Scarpa's ErgoFit System offers omni-dimensional ankle flex for natural ankle flex while still providing lateral support Pro-Fiber insole keeps feet warm and cushioned Deeply lugged Vibram(R) Total Traction sole offers traction and shock absorption on snow and rock Vibram(R) rubber toe and heel rand for technical smearing and edging assists alpine scrambles Re-designed rear rand locks heel down even when front pointing Advanced Mid-Sole System combining TPU (Thermoplastic Urethane) with PU inserts provides the perfect blend of stiffness, shock absorption, and sensitivity PU/TPU midsole is stiff enough to accept bail or semi-automatic crampons Made in Italy Scarpa's AG last is sized specifically for alpinists to accommodate thick sock layering system We find that the Mont Blanc offers a great fit for those those with medium to wide width or high volume feet

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

For winter warriors of all types, we present the Scarpa Men's Mont Blanc GTX Mountaineering Boot--a sure-footed choice for meandering through the mountains or bagging burly summits. The Mont Blanc offers a classic mountaineering design combined with the protection of technical Gore-Tex waterproof breathable materials. Lace up this versatile boot, and experience unmatched comfort and flexibility during your approach without sacrificing steep-terrain stability.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

Offering modern innovations in sole and upper design this is the ultimate allaround mountain bootFeatures Upper 3mm Suede Perwanger HS12 Lining GoreTex Insulated Comfort Insole ProFiber Midsole PUTPU Sole Vibram TT3 Last AG Sizes 3947 48 half sizes Weight 920g 2lbs

- Bentgate.com refers to the men's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. Scarpa Men's Mont Blanc GTX Boot FEATURES of the Scarpa Men's Mont Blanc GTX Boot Automatic and semi-automatic crampon-compatible Insulated Comfort Gore-Tex keep your feet warm and dry ErgoFit System offers omni-directional ankle flex allowing for natural motion with perfect support Rear randing locks heel securely for climbing performance Advanced Midsole System provides maximum shock absorption, improved sensitivity Lightest in its class SPECIFICATIONS of the Scarpa Men's Mont Blanc GTX Boot Upper: 3mm Suede Perwanger HS12 Lining: Gore-Tex - Insulated Comfort Insole: Pro-Fiber XT 20 Midsole: PU/TPU Sole: Vibram Total Traction Last: AG Weight: 1/2 per pair: 2 lbs 4.5 oz / 1035 g

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version