Scarpa Nangpala XCR

Highly supportive, strong boots, great for heavy-duty…

Summary

Highly supportive, strong boots, great for heavy-duty use. Stands up well to rough country. Fit is narrow. Waterproof, at least for the first 3 years!

Pros

• Really stand up to rugged wear
  • Good protection of toes and heels
  • Stable platform on rough grround
  • Waterproof!

Cons

• Gore-tex not breathable enough in hot weather
  • Would prefer deeper tread, longer-lasting tread
  • Narrow last (not a problem for me)
  • Some fraying of fabric around cuff after 3-4 years

These boots are mostly bombproof  I've completely worn out the soles on my first pair, but found a place on the Scarpa website to get them resoled. I hike daily about 3-5 miles over rocky backwoods terrain, so the three years I got out of the first set represents perhaps 3,000 miles of wear.

My feet run narrow, and so is the last on these boots. For me, they required relatively little break-in, although they do have a strong and rigid mid-sole, so they provide a lot of support.  That will require maybe 30 miles or more to fully break in.  The uppers were quite comfortable for me right from the start.

Lacing system is strong, and did not show any wear. I was concerned about durability of laces where they go through nylon fabric loops, but those have worked well.

These boots stay dry in snow hiking (with gaiters) and in wet, muddy conditions. As with all Goretex XCR, they are impossibly warm in summertime. In my third season of use, I started to get cracks along the seam where the sole joins, and those began to show leakage in the boot.

I like them so well that I bought a second pair, which I'm wearing now while my first ones are off in Oregon getting re-soled. I do notice that the lacing system has changed slightly, and the new lace material doesn't hold knots as well as my 4-year-old boots did.

Recommended highly, if they fit your feet. Be sure not to buy them too short, as they will punish your toes -- there is no flex or break-in there. As you pack on the miles, your feet will thank you.

afterthoughts:

The latest model has the shoelace guides riveted in place rather than using loops made from the suede fabric from the side of the boot.  I had problems with losing a couple rivets on a pair of Dunhams years ago, but these look pretty sturdy.

The new model also has a bit less fabric showing lower in the side of the boot, which is probably good from a wear standpoint but maybe less good from a breathing standpoint.  Time will tell.

Rick-Pittsburgh

Love Scarpa's. I have had great luck with the SL M3. By any chance is the cobbler's name Dave Page that they recommend?

OldCodgerMe

Yup, it was Dave Page. Just got them back today and they are spectacularly well done. The replacement Vibram sole has deeper lugs than the original, should last longer. And they are already broken in... Win!

This shoe is narrow, so get at least a half size bigger.

Materials: gore-tex
Use: hiking, trekking, backpacking
Break-in Period: 10 hrs usage

This shoe is narrow, so get at least a half size bigger. I went up a full size to allow my foot some room and to wear thick trekking socks. If you have WIDE feet, I wouldn't recommend this shoe, unless you must have them, then pick up 1.5 size bigger or something.

It took about 40 miles/15 hrs of hiking to break in the shoe. I got good protection from rocks while hiking even though there is no shank. The out sole is solid and ankle support is good. The ankle support structure requires the breakin. The waterproofing is brilliant. Walked through water instead of jumping across it and the shoes were DRY.

Even after cleaning, the shoe dries very quickly. I would give it a five, if the insole was softer and if the shoe was wider.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Nangpala XCR versions

In addition to the 2 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Nangpala XCR. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Scarpa Men's Nangpala XCR, please share your experience.

Scarpa Men's Nangpala XCR

The Scarpa Men's Nangpala XCR is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 3, 2012 at OMCgear.