Scarpa Summit GTX

I use this great quality mountaineering boot for ice…

Price Paid: ~450 cdn

Summary

I use this great quality mountaineering boot for ice climbing. It fits my narrow, high arched foot.

Pros

• Leather
  • Great tread
  • Fits narrow foot
  • Decent colour
  • Strong shank
  • Waterproof

Cons

• Need toe warmers
  • Tricky to navigate through rocky terrain

I used this boot for all my ice climbs last winter. I wanted a tight fit from toe to heel as I don't like the feeling of my foot slipping back in my boot on a lead. I wore them dawn to dark for 30 climbs. They were great for long approaches, even in snowshoes. Very few blisters on break-in thanks to duct tape. My feet did not move when climbing and they are waterproof.

Because leather is so darned cold and it takes only a little snow to start a foot freeze, I used toe warmers EVERY time.

I'll be using these until they fall apart.

I hiked with these boots all winter in the White mountains…

Materials: Leather
Use: Winter peakbagging
Break-in Period: Good right out of the box!
Weight: About 4 and a half pounds
Price Paid: About 300?

I hiked with these boots all winter in the White mountains and climbed 13 of the four thousand footers including Mount Washington with them. I give them 5 stars for comfort.

My only gripe, and it's a small one, is their warmth. I wish they were warmer. But, as with all things, it's a trade off. They're a relatively light single leather Winter boot. Initially I wore them without toe warmers and found my toes hovering around, but never becoming, numb. With the addition of toe warmers I never had a problem. I would have concerns on a long hike well below zero F without toe warmers.

Other than that, I love them. Took step in crampons beautifully and were sure footed when bare booting. Excellent Scarpa quality.

If you've owned or used a Scarpa Summit GTX, please share your experience.

Scarpa Summit GTX

The Summit GTX has been discontinued.

The Scarpa Summit GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 15, 2011 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.