I hiked with these boots all winter in the White mountains…

Materials: Leather
Use: Winter peakbagging
Break-in Period: Good right out of the box!
Weight: About 4 and a half pounds
Price Paid: About 300?

I hiked with these boots all winter in the White mountains and climbed 13 of the four thousand footers including Mount Washington with them. I give them 5 stars for comfort.

My only gripe, and it's a small one, is their warmth. I wish they were warmer. But, as with all things, it's a trade off. They're a relatively light single leather Winter boot. Initially I wore them without toe warmers and found my toes hovering around, but never becoming, numb. With the addition of toe warmers I never had a problem. I would have concerns on a long hike well below zero F without toe warmers.

Other than that, I love them. Took step in crampons beautifully and were sure footed when bare booting. Excellent Scarpa quality.

I use this great quality mountaineering boot for ice…

Price Paid: ~450 cdn

Summary

I use this great quality mountaineering boot for ice climbing. It fits my narrow, high arched foot.

Pros

• Leather
  • Great tread
  • Fits narrow foot
  • Decent colour
  • Strong shank
  • Waterproof

Cons

• Need toe warmers
  • Tricky to navigate through rocky terrain

I used this boot for all my ice climbs last winter. I wanted a tight fit from toe to heel as I don't like the feeling of my foot slipping back in my boot on a lead. I wore them dawn to dark for 30 climbs. They were great for long approaches, even in snowshoes. Very few blisters on break-in thanks to duct tape. My feet did not move when climbing and they are waterproof.

Because leather is so darned cold and it takes only a little snow to start a foot freeze, I used toe warmers EVERY time.

I'll be using these until they fall apart.