Scarpa Wrangell GTX

This is a very sturdy boot, made with quality materials.

Price Paid: $289 on sale

Summary

This is a very sturdy boot, made with quality materials.

Pros

• Quality
  • Vibram M4 sole
  • Comfortable,
  • Able to use step-in crampons

Cons

• Very stiff at first
  • Sizing (buy two pairs, return one)

This is a very sturdy boot, made with quality thick suede and metal eyelets with an adjustable lace system to hold your heal tightly in place. It runs about 1/2 to 1 full size small. Even though the sizing runs small, they are made with correct proportions for average to wide feet. I did replace the factory insoles with Superfeet inserts to add support and comfort before I went on an outing with them, so I am not able to tell you how they are with the factory insoles.

They are a very serious mountaineering boot made to last, made to be waterproof, and made to be comfortable (for me after they were broken in hiking a few short hikes and then about an 8 mile hike). Just a warning, the sole is very stiff at first, but then becomes a lot more flexible as time goes on. The boots' inside temperature was comfortable even though the it was in the 70s outside.

I will be using them for a hike up Mt. Whitney soon and wanted something that could use step in crampons as it may have snow nearing the ten thousand foot and up elevation. The support and traction are excellent, my foot feels anchored with every step taken.

Gareth Davies

Hi Eric- very, very interested in this boot- but primarily as a heavy-duty backpacking boot (with occasional true mountaineering). Having spent more than 10 years as a professional logger (hand faller)- I have always appreciated and prefer heavy, supportive boots (I also like high-cut boots). These boots would be to replace an old beloved pair of Scarpa backpacking boots. I am hesitating to trade up this level because I am unsure what they would be like to walk long distances in. (the other boot I considering is the Scarpa Kinesis). In short- how comfortable are these boots to walk long distances in?