Scarpa ZG 40 GTX

I recently made the trek on the Kokoda Trail in Papua…

Price Paid: $160 AUD

Summary

I recently made the trek on the Kokoda Trail in Papua New Guinea, 8 solid days in these shoes and they were faultless. Great breathability important in these conditions, but at the same time very well waterproofed, good grip in very slippery conditions, and good support for both uphill and downhill climbs.
I would recommend this boot for basic trekking on flat ground right through to serious terrain, wet or dry, but best suited to warmer climates. It would not be ideal for long snow treks.

Pros

• Support
  • Grip
  • Breathability
  • Waterproof

Cons

• not suited for really cold conditions

This shoe was a great fit for my foot all round which made it an easy choice. I wasn't sure if it was the right shoe for my purpose (trekking the Kokoda track), however I wanted something durable and supportive but most importantly 'light' and this model fit the bill!

Lacing system is great and strong and provides plenty of ankle support if tightened correctly. Good cushioning in the heel and arch, and considering the terrain I was in it kept my feet amazingly dry, gaters did help to ensure this. It allowed my feet to breath amazingly well which again was really important in the hot humid environment I was in.

It's a nice basic boot that did its job for me and they are still in great condition over 1 year later, still wearing them on basic and tougher walks, and on occasion under jeans for suburban travel as they are comfortable and warm, especially nice in winter.

Excellent boot. Used it on a 4 day, 42-mile hike in…

Materials: Gore-tex
Use: Rough trails with heavy packs, day hikes
Break-in Period: 1 short hike
Weight: 1 lb

Excellent boot. Used it on a 4 day, 42-mile hike in Patagonia and practically lived in the boot. I was carrying a 40-lb pack for most of the hike. It performed extremely well over boulders, flat trails, through streams and in uphill/downhill terrain.

After sorting through many different options for this hike, I finally landed on the Scarpa. I found other boots (Montrail, Ecco, Lowa, Vasque) to be uncomfortable in the store, particularly where the water-protective lip met the boot tongue. These Scarpas fit like a glove from the store and it was an easy decision.

By the end of the hike, the wet-proofing was beginning to wear-off already around the suede areas. But the Gore-tex kept the water from seeping through and I stayed dry. My friend had new Montrails which suffered a similar predicament, if not slightly worse.

Tons of tread left on this shoe and I plan to use it for the occasional day-hike (very light!) into the mountains.

Overall, an excellent boot. Just be sure to wear thick…

Materials: leather and goretex
Use: rough trails, backpacking, light winter walks.
Break-in Period: no break in period what soever
Weight: 1130 g

Overall, an excellent boot. Just be sure to wear thick wool hiking socks, otherwise a hotspot may begin to appear just above your achilles tendon. At least that's what happened in my case anyway.

Supreme comfort in all conditions. Mud, boulders, sand, steep inclines and declines, etc. all were handled well by the zg 40 gtx.

If you've owned or used a Scarpa ZG 40 GTX, please share your experience.

Scarpa ZG 40 GTX

The ZG 40 GTX has been discontinued.

The Scarpa ZG 40 GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 27, 2009 at US Outdoor Store.