Sea to Summit Traveller TRI

This is a cost effective and more than adequate light…

Price Paid: on sale: $160

Summary

This is a cost effective and more than adequate light minimal coverage for a quick summer outing in the woods. It is versatile enough for couch surfing relatives over the holidays. It is just wide enough to cover two cozy campers that are not too big in girth on a not chilly summer outing.

Pros

• Light
  • Compacts well
  • Foot area can be open or closed

Cons

• Not real warm
  • Not useful for shoulder seasons

Originally bought for couch surfing relatives, but I found it useful as a comforter on a fall evening too. That opened the door to other uses.

Took it out for a July 6K ft elevation overnight in Sierra Nevadas and it was sufficiently warm in a bivy bag. I added a silk liner and it was okay during a chilly September night in the Cascades. Wife and I used it opened up fully with us in each our own silk liners and in a tent and it kept us comfortable through the night (down to low 30's).

I think our body heat and the silk liners made it work. I would have liked a bit more down in the product to take it down to a few more degrees rather than have to use a heavier quilt. Some modifications may be in order to adapt it to our varied needs and keep it light. The small vol when compressed is great with our small packs.

More clothing rather than more down filling might be the answer, but we have pretty much minimized our clothing to work for most conditions (excluding this sleeping portion). I would buy this again and would modify it as needed (filling +, - some of the zipper as I use  open (unzipped) on the top nearly all the time).