Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Day Pack

A minimal day pack for short side trips on longer…

Price Paid: NOK200 = about $33

Summary

A minimal day pack for short side trips on longer backpacking trips. No promises on comfort, and it is not very durable or waterproof, but that's reasonable given the small weight and size. I wouldn't recommend it for all-day hikes but it fills its niche well.

Pros

• Very small when packed
  • Light weight
  • Does the job!

Cons

• Not very durable
  • Not waterproof
  • A bit pricey

We brought a pair of these along on our JMT through hike, and my daughter and I did several side trips to some of the nearer and easier summits using them. Short side trips when carrying larger pack are all I ever intend to use it for.

When packed up I could just about hide it in my fist.

On the right in the picture there is a little snap-loop that you could use to hang it off something -- I don't see much use for that so I guess a could cut it off and save a gram or two.

The little stuff sack is sewn to the inside of the pack, so you turn it inside out to pack it up. That takes a little work, but I always manage to get it in there. The straps are just silnylon, and there is no waist belt or sternum strap, nor are they needed.

I weighed it at 74 grams or a bit over 2.5 oz., close enough to S2S's given weight of 2.4 oz. The given volume of 20 liters sounds about right.

I can fit a down sweater, rain jacket and pants, hat and gloves, sunglasses, headlamp, 1/2 l water bottle, and a couple bagels in there no problem, with room for a mini first aid kit, compass, and map. That all weighed in at about about 2.5 kilos (5.5 lbs). I wouldn't want to put too much more in there either weight or volume wise, but that's enough for quick side trips.

There are no pockets or compartments, so you want to be sure to put the soft stuff close to your back and try to mold it all into a comfortable shape.

IMG_2181.jpgIMG_2182.jpg

The fabric is not at all waterproof, so I would want to line it with a plastic bag or waterproof stuff sack if I anticipated rain (but then I probably wouldn't be going for any summits). After a half-dozen side trips on rough Sierra granite, including a little up- and down-scrambling, I noticed a few sub-5mm holes in the bottom. A few more trips like that and it will need some repair tape, but I think I can keep it going for a few more years.

$33 seems a bit steep for the US market; I would say $20-25 would be more reasonable. I got it at Norwegian retailer for about 200 kroner (=about $33!) which is a bargain over here.

Wow that's compact!

Visit Sea to Summit's Ultra-Sil Day Pack page.

Sea to Summit's Ultra-Sil Day Pack is as great as a summit pack, carrying groceries when on foot or on a bike or as an extra traveling tote. The tiny packed size fits easily onto your key ring, in a jacket pocket or a purse.

- CampSaver.com

The minimalist, ultralight Sea To Summit Ultra-Sil Daypack packs down tiny for carrying in your purse or on a key ring, and is ideal for sightseeing at your travel destination.

Sea To Summit Ultra-Sil DaypackThe Sea To Summit Ultra-Sil Daypack is the elegant way to get all your gear along with you on a short trip. It's made from siliconized Cordura Nylon that is strong and lightweight. A simple streamlined design also helps keep it light and gives this daypack a low profile. The silicone treatment makes this daypack highly resistant to rips and tears. Its key stress points are all bar tacked with reinforced stitching for more load support and durability on the go. A 2-way YKK zippered closure gives you easy access to the contents of your bag. It weighs only 2.4 oz. so you can easily and conveniently carry this pack on all your trips. Its spacious capacity is more than enough to pack all you need on a weekend trip. For a stress-free trip and the comfort of knowing you have everything you need, get the Sea To Summit Ultra-Sil Daypack along.

- SunnySports

Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Day Pack FEATURES of the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Day Pack Packs down small so it easily fits in pockets, purses or luggage Simple, streamlined design making it light and low-profile Siliconized Cordura for strength and durability Bar tack reinforced stitching on all stress points Two-way YKK zipper closure SPECIFICATIONS of the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Day Pack Volume: 20 liter Weight: 2.4 oz / 68 g This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.