Sierra Designs Dricanvas Short

These shorts have the pockets you need and the fit…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"
Price Paid: $30-ish

These shorts have the pockets you need and the fit you want if you are serious about hiking and backpacking. They look nice, feel great, and are clearly designed with the backpacker in mind!!

• Great crotch
  • Excellent tool pocket
  • Wonderful map pocket
  • Back pockets cut below pack hip belt

• Only two colors

These shorts fit really well. They allow for a full athletic range of motion. When wearing a pack there is no abrasion or rubbing of any kind. I prefer a bottom layer to have belt loops instead of the integrated belts. I find the built in belts always get tangled and rarely remain tight. Adding my own webbing belt, via the belt lops, allowed me to dress for town, but capable of adventuring in the field.

Though I was sweating profusely, at no time did these shorts feel wet or cause chafing. Breathability and durability were excellent during a 8.5-mile day spanning the moist and toasty trailhead and several hours in the alpine zone.

The normal pockets, two hand pockets and two back pockets (back pockets are slanted so that contents can be accessed while wearing a pack!!), were well placed and just as functional as your favorite pair of jeans. The tool pocket on the right side, with no closure save for a flap, was deep enough to carry a bic lighter, Super Salve Comfrey Leaf Lip Balm, and a Leatherman Skeletool, with plenty of space to spare for energy gels and chews.

The map pocket on the user's left side closes with a zipper. It fit a full size waterproof trail map and a pen. Neither pocket, while filled with the above contents, caused even the slightest abrasion or annoyance.

I would recommend these shorts to any hiker, backpacker, or adventure traveler seeking a functional bottom layer that is also presentable. I would use these shorts as a go-to late autumn backpacking short worn over Ibex 150 gram baselayers. I will use these shorts just as often for spring and summer adventures spanning from the heat of desert summers to the earliest melt of spring in the White Mountains!!

How far do they come down. I hate shorts that don't reach my knees.

Badass Outdoors RETAILER

I wear a 32-33 inseam and the DriCanvas Shorts came down to just at the top of my kneecap while standing tall in a loaded pack. In my opinion it is the perfect length for ventilation without looking like short shorts!!