Sierra Designs Lightning 2

Capacity 2
Minimum Weight 3 lb 14 oz / 1.76 kg

Outstanding tent, a most successful two-person three-season…

Design: Three-season freestanding
Ease of Setup: Easy
Weight: 4 lbs 2 oz packed
Price Paid: $200 eBay

Outstanding tent, a most successful two-person three-season design. It is so light it can serve as the roomiest solo tent available. Vents well. Doesn't leak. Carbon fiber poles come with it. If you are doing 3-season one or two person camping and like to pack light, look no further.

I use it as a roomy solo tent in most cases.

Great tent, but bad customer service. Don't break…

Design: Sierra Designs Lightning 2 Tent
Ease of Setup: very easy, but poles are fragile!
Weight: 2 lbs. 7 oz.
Price Paid: around 200

Great tent, but bad customer service.

Don't break or lose any parts. Sierra Designs will not help you with any replacement parts. The customer service rep could not even locate the tent model, let alone the parts.

After several failed attempts to obtain a pole segment replacement from Sierra Designs, I have been left with no other option than to work with the manufacturer (DAC) in Korea. The pole segment costs $1. The shipping will be $22.

PROS: lightweight (just over 4lbs) packs small can…

Design: three-season tent
Ease of Setup: easy 2-3 min
Weight: 2 or 4 lbs

PROS:
lightweight (just over 4lbs)
packs small
can be pitched with only footprint and rainfly
includes footprint
fast pitch
good double-seam, waterproofing

CONS:
vestibule non-functional for anything but basic shoe storage without some innovative guy lines
no interior storage or hooks

EXPERIENCE:
Spent a couple days out on a fishing trip on some rapids in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Rained 48 hours straight, camped next to the Gratiot River Falls which also misted the camp area after the rain raised the water level 16". Tent stayed dry inside, and circulated humidity inside very well. For casual, non-technical camping, this tent scores well for its ease of use and lightweight design. Would recommend to someone looking in the <$150 price range.

had the SD cliplight for eight years and loved it,…

had the SD cliplight for eight years and loved it, so was eager to try out this roomier "lightweight" option. big disappointment.

the vestibule is terribly designed. in poor weather, you cannot zip back the vestibule to vent while cooking because it extends over the inner tent and rain pours in. you also cannot undo it halfway, because it flops inside (soaking wet) and won't reach its attachment point. vestibule doors need to clear the tent body while open.

the velcro attachments to the fly/poles are awkward, slow and dumb.

agree that this is NOT a tent for the high mountains. the fly sits high and WILL let weather in.

further, this is not really a lightweight tent. at five plus pounds, its quite heavy for what it offers.

i would place this tent in the mediocre middle, along with (i suspect) many of the other so-called light three season tents. for fairweather mellow backpacking, it's likely fine.

j

Michael Glavin BRAND REP

SJJ: Glavin from SD here. I am not sure what tent you are reviewing, but this does not sound like a Lightning. There is no "vestibule"; you simply cook out the door with a 15" awning. There is no velcro, and there is no fly.

Brilliant tent! Light, compact, sturdy, and roomy-enough.

Design: 3-season
Ease of Setup: extremely easy
Weight: ~1.6kg
Price Paid: ~US 250

Brilliant tent! Light, compact, sturdy, and roomy-enough. Wouldn't change anything - one door is all you need. We've been living out of it for five months in South America, NZ, Australia, and will be using it in Africa, EU, and Canada. Highly recommended!

This tent is everything that it says it is: light,…

Design: three season
Ease of Setup: as simple as it gets

This tent is everything that it says it is: light, and waterproof with adequate headroom. There seems to be a lack of room lengthwise at the head and foot, however. This is a great tent, add another door and stretch it slightly and it would have no flaws.

This tent is very easy to set up. Comfy for two, plus…

Design: three-season freestanding
Ease of Setup: easy
Weight: 4lbs/6oz

This tent is very easy to set up. Comfy for two, plus some small gear items. I'm 6'3" and can sit up in it comfortably. With the Granite Gear small size compression sack (the silnyl one), the fast pack foot print, tent, poles, supplied stakes and guy lines, the total weight is roughly 5lbs 6oz.

The vestibule doesn't really seem like the 9 sq ft that they say, my 60L pack and my daughter's pack fit ok, mine got a bit damp the next morning from a hip belt wing hanging out side from under the fly. The rainfly and "superseal" floor are seam taped, but the manual recommends sealing the seams. Didn't leak, and there was no condensation inside the tent the next day. Catch it on sale, it's a great buy.

I bought this tent on the strength of the reviews…

Design: 3-season
Ease of Setup: very easy
Weight: 4 lbs 5oz Packed

I bought this tent on the strength of the reviews here. It sounded like a great tent. Maybe it is for 1-1/2 seasons - but not on Mt Hood. Hey it's mid June. I had it up on the side of Mt Hood with a little blowing light snow. The snow comes inside. I was even hunkered down by a wind-break. Structurally - no problem - it handled the wind, but without some means of closing off the netting, light snow blows up under the fly and filters through the netting. OK - I suppose that's the trade-off for it being so light. If you want a non-snow tent - or one that handles non-blowing snow it may be just great.

It is light and easy to set up, and appears to be a good design. So I'll probably keep it for more easygoing backpacking.

I was looking for a great lightweight backpacking…

Design: Three-season freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: Very easy- no tent experience necessary
Weight: packed weight is 4lbs. 2 oz.- fly-tent is 2lbs. 7 oz.

I was looking for a great lightweight backpacking tent and I found it with the Lightning. I was interested in the tent and checked the reviews here on Trailspace to make sure it had a good reputation. After buying the tent - which as a college student was even in my budget - I haven't been disappointed yet. I think all the other reviewers have nailed it except for one feature that I really enjoy about the tent.

The Lightning is able to be set up with only the footprint, poles, and rainfly. I wasn't even sure that I'd ever use this feature until I was hiking in an off and off rainy day. I just set up the fly-tent when it began to rain and sat it out with my friends nice and dry. It sets up and comes down so fast that it wasn't a hassle. When we reached the shelter/campsite after a day of hiking the AT we were the only ones not soaking wet and trying to devise a way to dry out our clothes. It's so lightweight that I keep the fly-tent in my daypack in case of showers as part of my ten Es.

The tent itself is wonderful and I don't have any complaints, no wet floors, great ventilation, the door isn't a door at all - the entire wall zips away. The windows are huge and it packs down to nothing. Set up is a snap, all you have to do is clip the tent to the poles - takes me 3 minutes by myself. I even like the color, which seems to let in as much light as possible.

Two-person tent with good headroom and just enough…

Design: 3
Ease of Setup: blindfolded with hands ties behind back
Weight: 2.5 - 4
Price Paid: $249 tent + $28 footprint

Two-person tent with good headroom and just enough room for gear at foot. Ultralight and packs very small. Not orange colored. Great ventilation even with fly attached. Used first time in mighty downpour. Floor stayed dry with footprint. Velcro straps on inside of fly that attach to poles had small slow drip as they were sewn in (eight places total). Will have to use seam sealer. Not a big deal. Great tent. Web site states that owner should use seam sealer anyway as a precaution. I think they should pay someone at the factory to do this.

Review Update (2006-9-22): There is no longer a leaking problem after applying the silicone seam seal. This was their advice after contacting SD customer support.

If you are camping without a chance of rain, leave the fly at home, and this tent can pack the size of a softball just over 2 pounds. It doesn't come with a compression sack but I suggest the smallest one that Granite Gear offers.

I also added the gear loft ($14.99) to hold flashlights and misc gear. It's a one size fits all product, so fit it to the tent, and trim the extra cord. This is a nice addition since the Lighting only has one pocket.

I have used this tent 10 times during 2006. There have been no addl quality issues with this product; tearing, floor, poles, mildew, mesh, etc. Except that excessive star gazing can cause mild vertigo.

TCO: tent($250) + footprint($30) + gear loft($15) + seam seal($5) + sales tax = $318

Update: September 22, 2006

Review Update: There is no longer a leaking problem after applying the silicone seam seal. This was their advice after contacting SD customer support.

I also added the gear loft ($14.99) to hold flashlights and misc gear. It's a one size fits all product, so fit it to the tent, and trim the extra cord. This is a nice addition since the lighting only has one pocket.

I am a Boy Scout Venture leader and have used this…

Design: 3 season free standing dome
Ease of Setup: very easy- even in the dark
Weight: appx 4 1/2 lbs

I am a Boy Scout Venture leader and have used this tent for several campouts over the last year+. It has been in high winds, pouring rain, extreme heat and winter camping, and it performed extremely well in each instance. It is so light that I also use it as a solo tent, with room for my pack, etc. The only possible complaint I would have is the length of the 1 aluminum pole section on each pole end makes it not as compact as it could be. It also is cramped if used for two adult hikers.