Sierra Designs Night Watch CD

My favorite 4-season tent. At 7 lbs, it's several…

Source: bought it used

My favorite 4-season tent. At 7 lbs, it's several pounds lighter than my Trango 2. It keeps me dry and comfortable in sub zero. The tent is comfortable in seasons other than winter because of its clever venting.

• Dark interior
  • Fairly lightweight for a 4-season
  • Good size vestibule
  • Vents well

• Single door

: Easy 3 pole setup.

Stability: Tent is very taut when guyed out. Camped in -20°F with 20-30 mph winds. I tied the fly to some logs and shrubs and staked it out best I could in frozen ground. No flapping. No problems.

Weather Resistance: I've always stayed dry and the tent is 14 years old. Some seam tape on the floor is finally blistering.

Ventilation: This tent vents very well. This is due to the large fly vent and the fact that the center pole elevates the center of the fly significantly higher than the rest of the tent.

Room and Storage: Standard 2 pockets.

Packability: Packs down well. (7 x 20")

Ease of use: All works well. One of the Easton Aluminum pole inserts came loose and was floating in the pole. I tried to crimp the pole to tighten it to the insert (bad idea); the pole cracked. I wrote to SD and let them know what happened. They replaced the pole (no charge).

Features: Center pole elevates the roof of the fly giving it a great capability to shed snow.

Construction and Durability: The tent is very durable. Stitching is reinforced where needed. I guess CD means computer designed. Does this mean that there's some sort of computer algorithm that optimizes the ergonomics? It's still going strong after 14 years.

Conditions: Bought it used 2 years ago and have used it in weather from 70°F to -35°F. It is a very versatile tent. I usually reserve it for cold weather due to weight.

Nice review. Thanks for sharing it!

Nice review, Jesse. Thanks for the note about the tent image too. I replaced it with one of yours to ensure it's accurate.

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney)

(I then wonder what the other image is?

It could have been a different model year. Nearly all of our images come from our retailers. But since I couldn't confirm the older one I replaced it with yours to be sure it was correct.

What a great second hand purchase. Nice review.

Interesting, and well written... I have the Nightwatch 2 cd, and it has significant differences... 2 doors, a window that opens in the roof (hence the Nightwatch name)... I guess I had best get off the schnide and write a review

Great bomber tent. I have two versions of this model,…

Source: bought it used

Great bomber tent.

• Bomber can take winter and be cool in the summer
  • Go-to tent

• Small vestibules size
  • Not made anymore!!

I have two versions of this model, two are the first blue fly half D door no fly vent and the last of this model the orange blue with the standup body and fly vents and silly narrow foot end.

I tend to like the older versions, much less hassle to pitch and has more room at each end. I have had this in windy rain and in hot desert night conditions. It is to me the perfect convertible design I have used. Looks small outside, but inside for one person it's a house.

I had the CD Night Watch and sold it. I wish I didn't as it was best of the two combined with a two zipper fly door you could set up like an awning with trek poles, came in handy in The Tetons for cooking and sun shade.

All these models have two minor to me issues. One, small vestibules, the late model has twin vestibules and covers the storage issue but it is by no means built for two people with the stupid narrow end. The other is the body angle when you get in or out in the rain you can get water in the tent.

I have three types of tents for motorcycle camping. One is the Night Watch another is the Quest Starlight for hot weather camping and a Eureka one-man combat tent for smaller night to night location to location hop scotch camping.

Most of the time I am going for the Night Watch for the room.

I'd love to see a picture of your tent, Ramseybella. Why do you have 2 models?

Best tent ever!!!!! I have had this tent for several…

Best tent ever!!!!!

• Light
  • Strong
  • Fast easy setup
  • Very stable

• None

I have had this tent for several years. It is a great lightweight tent. It is very very sturdy. We have camped in this tent at Copper Breaks State Park in Texas when a tornado missed us by only about a mile.

My son and I were the only ones of the group of three tents that had a usable tent in the morning!!!!

I will buy this tent again, "IF" I ever have to replace it!!!!

Get the footprint groundcloth, you won't regret it.

Ready to leave? Pick it up and shake it out, roll it up and go.

I'm sure the 2.0 version is even better!!

Great tent for me. Strong design holds snow well.

Design: 4 season Convertible, Dome
Ease of Setup: Fast, simle, easy!
Weight: ~5.5 pounds

Great tent for me. Strong design holds snow well. Low down shape sheds wind. Keeps you dry and happy in the worst of conditions. Despite how small it looks there is actually plenty of room for two people. I don't have a problem fiting two packs in the vestibule and extra gear inside, at one end of the tent. Plenty long (I am 6'1"). Light, compact.

Bottom line: A tent of this Caliber can't be beat for the weight. If you are a serious backpacker that encounters nasty weather (to both extremes). This tent is for you. Buy it now!

Problems: None, except that you can't really cook in the vestibule. But I never do anyway, for various reasons (it's not a smart practice).

Solid tent at a reasonable weight. Very sturdy in…

Design: 4 season convertible
Ease of Setup: Lots of things to clip and buckle which takes time, but increases strength
Weight: 6 1/2 lbs

Solid tent at a reasonable weight. Very sturdy in a storm, and has plenty of room inside for me, my gear, and my 85 lb German Shepherd. This is my third Sierra Designs tent, and I have always been pleased with them.

This is a storm-worthy tent and good price. Unique…

Design: Convertable 3-pole
Ease of Setup: Very easy, all clips, free standing
Weight: 5lbs 6oz

This is a storm-worthy tent and good price. Unique 3-pole design has space for 2 comfortably. The vestibule is sort of small though, but still enough for 2 packs. The zip open storm flaps on the door and skylight are very nice. The fly has a vent, but can't be opened from inside. I have been on two 2-week trips in Colorado where it has rained every day. It sort of leaked but not bad. I called Sierra Designs and they say it is a defect and are sending me a new fly! Very light for how quality it is. Easy to set up and very well placed guylines. I definitely recommend.

This tent has been a real luxury for me. It has allowed…

Design: Convertible
Ease of Setup: What set up?
Weight: 5lbs, 6oz

This tent has been a real luxury for me. It has allowed me to sleep through some of the most wicked storms you've ever seen. I think the roof vent is a nice feature, and the double sliders on the vestibule are nice for venting, too.

Sierra Designs Night Watch CD

The Night Watch CD has been discontinued.

The Sierra Designs Night Watch CD is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.