Sierra Designs Nomad 6.1

Purchased this tent from Outdoor Gear Exchange. It…

Design: three season, car camping/base camp
Sleeps: 6+
Ease of Setup: not difficult at all
Weight: 25 plus

Purchased this tent from Outdoor Gear Exchange. It was a sales demo. Wanted a big tent for car camping with the whole family. Set up is a bit; but, it is a huge tent. It is great for a family of four and a big dog. Standing is a nice plus as well. If you need space this is the tent.

Despite what others have written, I have had no problem with water leaking in even while experiencing some pretty severe thunder boomers. S. D. customer service is great too. I ordered an extra awning pole for extra ventilation. No problem. We own several S.D. tents. They all have served well.

Mine leaked at the four main tie down corners of the…

Design: 3-Season Dome
Sleeps: 6+
Ease of Setup: Good
Weight: 22lbs
Price Paid: $575 Can.

Mine leaked at the four main tie down corners of the fly the first time out! My 24-year-old Timberline 4 is more watertight. Water was leaking through the taped seams at the stitching holes on the yellow velcro straps. I had to Seam Grip both sides of the fly at these tie down corners and use floor sealer on the rest of the stitched seam to the top of the tent. Pretty brutal to have to do this on a new $575 dollar tent.

I emailed Sierra in Canada and they never returned my contact. The US office was also notified of the design problem and they sent me some automated reply from a company they outsourse the customer service to called Summit Hut. They have left me with the impression they could care less about the leaker they sold me.

The tent is of good quality and has some smart features. It can take strong winds well if tied down properly. I would like to see better #10 style zippers than the #8s on the tent. Also an adjustable door venting system with a tradtional second full sized mesh zippered door would allow for more airflow in hot weather than the permanent style on both doors.

As an avid Eureka fan I was hoping for a 6 person "XT" style heavy duty tent. Pretty it is, Eureka XT heavy duty it is not. My first and last Sierra Designs tent.

Sierra Designs Nomad 6.1

The Nomad 6.1 has been discontinued.

The Sierra Designs Nomad 6.1 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at Moosejaw.