Sierra Designs Ridge Runner 15

Great bag for the price. I just spent a week backpacking…

Summary

Great bag for the price.

Pros

• Warm
  • Quality construction

Cons

• A bit on the heavy side
  • Zipper does not fully open around foot box

I just spent a week backpacking in Shawnee National Forest. Night time temps dipped into the low 20's. (Including backyard tests, I've spent 8-10 nights in below freezing temps in it.) This bag kept me warm and comfortable every time.

There are lighter bags on the market, but you're paying hundreds of dollars more for those. I am very pleased with this bag!

Excelent bag for the price. The bag does not compreses…

Summary

Excelent bag for the price.

The bag does not compreses a lot (since is 600 Fill Down and not more) but, as it is down, it's small enough and very light too. The temperature range allows to use it on different kinds of trips/climates.

I like the protector on zipper to avoid jamming fabric. Highly recommend!

Bag does NOT have a pillow pocket, as in some descriptions,…

Price Paid: $160 at sunnysports.com

Bag does NOT have a pillow pocket, as in some descriptions, but it is well made, the zipper works well and was on sale. I looked at the Pyro but the RR has a good bit more down for a few dollars more and is EN rated accordingly.

I bought the long as I am 6' 3" and 240 lbs. The length is good and shoulder room adequate but not really roomy.

I tried it in mid 30 degree temps last evening in my shorts and was warm enough to have to crack the zipper about 4 am when I woke up feeling a bit sweaty. With some socks and thermals I'm guessing 20 degees would be no problem. If you are any bigger than me or like to toss and turn you might want to look for a little bigger bag.

I plan to use it for overnight dirt bike trips in the desert where it rarely gets below 25. Will leave room in my overnight pack where my old synthetic bag did not. Looked at the Kelty Cosmic and Light Year but this bag was rated to a lower temp and packs smaller, which was a prime consideration on this purchase. Material could be a little delicate but only time will tell.

Too bad it doesn't have the pillow pocket and a stash pocket, but as I mentioned, it was on sale. Whoo Hoo!

If you've owned or used a Sierra Designs Ridge Runner 15, please share your experience.

Sierra Designs Ridge Runner 15

The Sierra Designs Ridge Runner 15 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 17, 2013 at SunnySports.

Regular Long