Sierra Designs Vapor Light 2 XL

Pole Type DAC NSL
Floor Material 40D Nylon, 3000 mm
Body Material 20D Nylon
Fly Material 40D Nylon, 1500 mm

Highly recommend for the ideal solo backpacker's tent.

Price Paid: $198 + $26 for footprint

Summary

Highly recommend for the ideal solo backpacker's tent. Also can sleep two with one or two backpacks also inside across head of tent (if a bit cramped). Just 4.6lbs with footprint and fits in small compression drysack, yet design looks and feels like structure would hold up in a 40mph windstorm (others' reviews confirmed this). Very small vestibule.

Pros

• Weighs just 4.6 lbs (incl. footprint, 8 MSR needle stakes, and size S eVent compression dry sack)
  • Optimum design with ideal dimensions given tent weight
  • Stake sides of fly close to tent body and stayed really warm down to 30°, OR stake fly several inches from sides and good ventilation with little condensation

Cons

• Small vestibule
  • Make sure don't stake entrance corners of tent too widely, or may be hard to zip entrance
  • Fly touches two sides of tent mesh unless two stakes hold out sides of fly

I take this for a solo tent on 5-6 day backpacking trips in the Rockies, and used it a total of perhaps 20 days in the wilderness so far the past three years and it still looks practically like new. Just camped with it up to 11,000 ft last week at Mirror Lake and Mummy Creek Pass in RMNP.

It's the ideal tent for the solo backpacker and I couldn't be much more pleased with it. I take 8 MSR (red) "needle" stakes and the tent weighs just 4.6lbs including footprint and size S eVent compression drysack, yet it's 7 and 3/4 ft long end to end, and 38in at one end is just tall enough I can do reverse crunches inside (I'm 5'11"). It would be a bit cramped but could sleep two in a pinch. It's wide enough for two 20in wide sleeping pads and long enough two people might still fit one or two backpacks across the entrance (a good thing, since the vestibule is pretty small).

The tent body and fly fit in a size S eVent compression drysack (so in case tent must be packed up wet the rest of my pack stays dry), and I even crammed them into my size XS eVent drysack once by mistake (meant for my down sleeping bag). The great small packed size mattered to me even more than the weight, since I go for nearly a week with all food and gear in a 65-liter pack and don't like a lot of stuff hanging on the outside. The poles are pretty short and are the only part I strap to the outside of my pack.

Sets up in no time and easy to figure out. The fly is reinforced heavily at a few key places where poles touch the fly and though I haven't been through a really terrible windstorm yet, I read several other reviews say it can stand up in storm winds better than most others in this weight class. I trust this tent in extreme wilderness conditions. While the tent has only one entrance, it's at the head so neither person has to climb over the other.

If I have one real gripe, it's that if I stake the four corners out too taut, the front door doesn't zip closed very easily. So at the door end, just learn not to put the corner stakes of the tent too far apart, either for the tent body or the fly. If I stake the sides of the fly close to the tent body I stayed really warm down to 30° but got some condensation, you have lots of flexibility here and can choose to stake the sides several inches away from tent body and then got very little condensation. Have also used when it was 80°s and humid with rainfly pulled to side, but ready to pull over tent quickly in case of a storm.

I had this tent for the past three years and it's…

Pros

• Light
  • Packs small
  • Long
  • Sets up easily

I had this tent for the past three years and it's still goes strong.

Pros: Light, Long! (hard to find) and in packs small. It sets up in 3 minutes.

Cons: I would love to have a longer rainfly.

Super easy to pitch up. Freestanding. The vestibule could be larger.

Not sure how long others owned the tent to write their…

Not sure how long others owned the tent to write their reviews, but I'd be curious to see what they have to say after getting several uses in.

I bought the XL version of this tent since I'm a tall guy and the specs on this tent are awesome.

Let me start by saying that I take very good care of my gear and especially my tents. Always use the footprint underneath and makes sure there is not grit or debris in/on the tent before repacking and hang to dry before storing.

I have about 20+ nights in on this tent and there are small holes forming in the floor. I have heard the ultralight tent materials are more delicate than non-ultralight types, however, I did not expect the floor to literally just start to disintegrate in some places.

It is a shame too, because the design and specs of this tent are awesome, if only it would hold up so that it could be used for its intended purpose.

Visit Sierra Designs's Vapor Light 2 XL page.

Offering 5 sq. ft. of additional floor space yet weighing only 7 oz. more than the regular-size Vapor Light 2, the Sierra Designs Vapor Light 2 XL tent is built for tall backpackers. Despite its lightweight design, the Vapor Light 2 XL offers a roomy 30.5 sq. ft. of floor space with an internal height of 38 in.; XL size is 10 in. longer than regular size. All-mesh body eliminates weight while keeping you cool on warm summer nights. D-shaped door provides easy access without the need to crawl over your tentmate; 8 sq. ft. vestibule stores gear close by. Light yet strong, DAC NSL poles are anodized without the use of harmful acids. Taped rainfly seams and a PVC-free, seam-sealed floor offer weatherproof protection. Reflective trim aids nighttime visibility. Internal pockets keep small gear organized. Sierra Designs Vapor Light 2 XL tent includes stuff sacks, guylines, tent stakes, user guide and setup instructions. Closeout.

Extra room without the extra weight. Sierra Designs' Vapor Light 2 XL has a 93" footprint that gives you ample room for even tall lightweight junkies.

- CampSaver.com

Designed to be lightweight and extra-long for taller hikers, the Sierra Designs Vapor Light 2 XL Tent is for those looking to shave a few pounds from their kit. Built with Jake's Foot pole-attachment tech, this easy-does-it rambler sets up in a jiff and offers worry-free protection from the elements and critters without weighing you down during the day.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Sierra Designs Vapor Light 2 Person XL Tent DECENT FEATURES of the Sierra Designs Vapor Light 2 Person XL Tent PVC-free seam tape Superseal floor Reflective door trim and guy outs Hanging pockets Long floor length Ultralight d-door Color-coded main door Ultralight clips Jakes foot pole attachment Ball cap connector Sunflower hub The SPECS of the Sierra Designs Vapor Light 2 Person XL Tent Season: 3 Capacity: 2 Person Trail Weight: 3 lbs 12 oz / 1.70 kg Packed Weight: 4 lbs 1 oz / 1.84 kg Packed Dimension: 20 x 6in. / 50.8 x 15.2 cm Number of Doors: 1 Interior Area: 30.5 square feet Vestibule Area: 8 square feet Peak Height: 38in. Floor: 40D Nylon, 3000 mm Body: 20D Nylon Fly: 40D Nylon, 1500mm Poles: DAC Featherlite NSL

Sierra Designs Vapor Light 2 XL

The Sierra Designs Vapor Light 2 XL is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 15, 2014 at REI.