Sierra Designs Zissou 23

Comfortable down to 30 degrees. Good amount of room…

Summary

Comfortable down to 30 degrees. Good amount of room for larger people. Could benefit having draft tube at neck area. Wasn't able to test the DriDown, but that's a good thing.

Pros

• Warmth
  • Value
  • Roomy

Cons

• Lets air in around neck
  • Drawstrings hard to pull

Having just purchased this bag, I immediatley went on a camping trip and tested it out.

First mistake: I forgot my 3" pad. Only thing I had was a quilt/comforter in my car to sleep on.

What did I learn from that mistake? NEVER forget your sleeping pad when using a down sleeping bag! You NEED that bit of insulation from the ground.

The temp got down to 25 degrees, I was comfortable with just a thin base layer down to about 30° (without a pad, mind you), but the ground was downright chilly after that.

I really think that with a good pad, I would have been cozy down to 25°.

Second mistake: this is my first mummy bag. I soon realized after it got to 35 that tightening the neck and head pulls helped keep the warmth in and the cold out.

This bag is ROOMY. I'm 6'1" and 235 lbs. I did get the large version of the bag, so I had a few inches at the feet, no big deal, stuffed my fleece jacket around my feet. The shoulder and hip room was quite generous, allowing me to side-sleep comfortably.

Zippers went up and down easily, thanks to a fabric tape that runs behind the zipper, only snagged once in the dark. This bag lofted a good 3 inches, and actually packs down quite small.

I picked up this bag to reduces weight and space usage…

Summary

I picked up this bag to reduces weight and space usage in my pack. I have used it down to about 15° and it has performed flawlessly.

Pros

• Lightweight and compressible
  • Warm
  • Regains loft quickly

Cons

• None yet

At just over two pounds it helped me reduce weight while saving room by putting it in a dry bag and really compressing it into whatever shape I need. There is enough room in this bag to be able to pull a leg up under myself in a crossed leg fashion. I am 6'0" and roughly 220 lbs and have plenty of room in length and width.

The left entry zipper works well with my tent as it is also a left entry. The two way zipper allows for temperature control by allowing air in when needed simply by opening the bottom of the zipper. Dual drawstrings around the head make it easy to adjust the fit of the mummy portion depending on temperature.

One feature that is nice about the way it zips is that the zipper does not extend into the footbox area. This prevents drafts around your feet and maintains the shape of the footbox.

Affordable and light, but easy to rip. Be careful…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Summary

Affordable and light, but easy to rip.

• Reasonable price

Cons

• Super light nylon easily ripped

Be careful with this bag and clear the area of sharp objects where you sleep. The nylon is super light and it'll rip before you can say "police brutality." Otherwise a great bag.