Slumberjack Latitude +20°F

Max user height 5 ft 6 in / 170 cm 6 ft 0 in / 180 cm 6 ft 6 in / 200 cm
Shoulder girth 60 in / 150 cm 64 in / 160 cm 68 in / 170 cm
Hip girth 56 in / 140 cm 60 in / 150 cm 64 in / 160 cm
Foot girth 44 in / 110 cm 48 in / 120 cm 52 in / 130 cm

THE GOOD: good feeling fabric, well made, strong outer…

Design: rectangular
Fill: synthetic
Temperature Rating: 20

THE GOOD: good feeling fabric, well made, strong outer hex-nylon shell, drawcord on the hood. performs when damp and bottom gets wet.

THE BAD: Cold spots down by the legs, snaggy zipper, no draft tube, inaccurate temperature rating.

GOOD USES: Car camping, overnight hikes, anything above 30 degrees, rainy conditions.

BOTTOM LINE: generous temperature rating, cost-effective bag for 3 season car-camping.

I first bought this product at Bass Pro Shops and like most first-time sleeping bag shoppers paid attention to the price and temperature rating. At first glance I noticed that it was a mummy/rectangular hybrid bag with plenty of room to wiggle one's legs while sleeping. I had previously been annoyed with a mummy bag's slim area for the legs.

My first trip with this bag was in rocky mountain national park. I spent 5 nights in a KOA Kampground in Estes. The summer temps I believe got down to maybe 50 degrees at night. I slept alright.

Aesthetically, this bag is also nice. It seems to be well tailored and has this cool hex ripstop nylon fabric on the outershell. Very strong stuff. The stuff bag is also made out of the material-I jammed my bag pretty hard at times into the stuff/compressor sack. The sack is very well made-still holding up after some odd 10 trips of use.

The Latitude 20 has a very comfortable feeling. The internal fabric is soft and feels nice on the skin. Everything is so plush. While I can't fit this bag into my modestly-sized backpack compartment, it's extra-weight serves itself well as a comfortable car camping bag.

Now, here is when I got into some trouble. Let me first start off with saying that I am considered to be a cold sleeper. I took this bag to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in early September. Temps got down to 26 degrees at night. I thought I was going to be just fine seeing as how my bag is rated to 20 degrees. WRONG!!! Long-story short, I would be comfortable using this bag in no less than 35 degrees F. Very cold down by me legs. I suggest stuffing a fleece blanket under the cover for extra warmth.

I did place my tent in a washout area one-time and things got a little...how do I say...not so dry that night. Without a pad my bag caught little streams of water running through the tent. I didn't feel any soak-through on my bag. I was quite surprised at this.

This bag is not a good backpacking bag at all. But at the price, I won't complain too much. Slumberjack may have better insulation out there now, so do some research before purchasing a new one. I don't want to pigeon hole Slumberjack on my bad experiences with this bag.

The Slumberjack Latitude 20 was the first sleeping…

Design: Mummy
Fill: Generic synthetic insulation
Temperature Rating: 20 Farenheit
Weight: ~ 4 lbs
Price Paid: 39.99

The Slumberjack Latitude 20 was the first sleeping bag I ever bought, and my main motivations for buying it were: 1) the price and 2) it was the only bag available at a local outdoor store.

I started backpacking about 6 years ago and this bag was my companion for many multi-day trips, overnights, and a summer of camp. The Latitude comes with a stuff sack that compresses the bag's massive bulk slightly, but I still found that my sleeping bag swallowed up most of my pack's capacity.

You would think that the bag's size would contribute to heat retention, but I found that unless I used a fleece liner inside the bag, I froze in temperatures below 30.

My main gripe with the Slumberjack Latitude is that its large capacity is inefficient for retaining body heat. I am 5'8" and 135 lbs, and I generally sleep in this bag curled up in a ball in the bottom half of the bag. The bag is so huge that I think you could fit two people in there, and I have completely changed my clothes inside the bag with no problem on several occasions.

The Slumberjack Latitude left me with much to be desired, but it educated me on features that I would like to see in a future sleeping bag and it served me well for my beginning backpacking years. It's not a bad bag for the price, especially if you are a large person who doesn't mind packing a large, heavy bag.

Visit Slumberjack's Men's Latitude +20°F page.

Want to feel comfy while out on your next adventure? The Latitude 20oF / -7oC has been designed with off-set construction to reduce heat loss while the hood and either be contoured or laid flat depending on the conditions to maximize comfort.

- Ramsey Outdoor refers to the men's version

Durable and warm, the Slumberjack Latitude 20 Degree Sleeping Bag ensures maximum sleeping comfort on your next camping trip. This feature-rich sleeping bag retains warmth by fitting to the contours of your body yet is spacious enough to ensure a good night's sleep. Anti-snag technology provides reliable zipper operation and draft tubes keep cold air out and prevent heat loss through the zipper coils so you stay toasty warm when you leave the campfire and settle in for the night. Sleep well with the Slumberjack Latitude 20 Degree Sleeping Bag.

- Altrec Outdoors refers to the men's version

Great for price conscious consumer wanting a dependable bag. Double offset w/ differential cut construction. Slumberloft HQ insulation. Fully contoured hood w/ flip over option. Insulated draft tube w/ anti-snag zipper protection. Easy-grab pull tabs. Trapezoid foot box. Adjustable storm collar on 0° and -20° bags. Comfort Rating: -20º F, 0º F, +20º F depending on model Carry Weight: 6.4 lbs (-20º), 5.1 lbs. (0º), 4.2 lbs. (long), 3.9 lbs. (reg), 3.1 lbs (short) Size: 32" x 82" (reg), 34" x 86" (long), 30" x 74" (short) Carry Size: 13" x 21" (-20°), 11" x 21" (0°), 9" x 20" (reg/long)), 9" x 17" (short 20°) Fill: Slumberloft™ Fill Weight: 5 lbs. (-20º), 3.7 lbs. (0º), 2.5 lbs. (long), 2.3 lbs (reg), 1.8 lbs (short) Shell: Polyester Hex Ripstop; Polyester Diamond Ripstop (short only) Liner: Polyester Taffeta; Polyester Pongee (short only) Fits To: 5'6" (short), 6' (reg), 6'6" (long)

- Vargo Outdoors refers to the men's version

Slumberjack Latitude 20F Synthetic Sleeping BagThe Slumberjack Latitude 20F Synthetic Sleeping Bag is one outdoor item that makes your camping trip trouble-free! A draft tube provided along its zipper ensures that cold air stays out and there is no heat loss from within. Thanks to a two-layer, off-set construction coupled with a differential cut design, there is an effective elimination of cold spots, which leaves you warm and cozy through the night. With a flip-over hood, you have the option of turning the hood inside out to use it as a contoured or a flat hood. There are carefully constructed zips which are made anti-snag, so that they are all the more convenient to use. It comes with a stuff sack which allows for easy storage. The Slumberjack Latitude 20F Synthetic Sleeping Bag is a good choice for any camper.

- SunnySports refers to the men's version