SmartWool Hiking Medium Crew

Very comfortable merino sock that is great for day…

Summary

Very comfortable merino sock that is great for day hikes. Good cushion, keeps your feet dry, low odour. However it is starting to show signs of wear at a faster rate than I hoped for.

Pros

• Very comfortable
  • Keeps feet dry
  • Low odour after long hikes

Cons

• Poor long term durability
  • Too expensive (poor value for money)

These Smartwool medium crew socks are very comfortable, and well put together throughout. The material is soft against the skin, and I can wear them for a long day of hiking without getting blisters. The cushioning is adequate, and there are no points of abrasion.

The socks are mainly merino, and they work well at keeping feet dry, and remain relatively odour free even after long days (though I typically don't get very odorous socks after hikes so others may find they won't work as well).

The main concern with these socks, and the reason I have only given them 3 stars in spite of the fact that they are very comfortable and function quite well is that they are already showing signs of wear, particularly behind the heel. I realise that is the nature of merino wool, but I have several other pairs of merino hikers from Kathmandu (a New Zealand brand I believe) which cost about 30% less and are outlasting and outperforming these socks by quite a margin (though I will say they are not as soft and a little heavier). For the price I paid, I expect more in terms of durability, but have no complaints about comfort.

If you can part with $15+ for a pair of socks that won't survive too much work, then the comfort is well worth it. I can't justify purchasing these again when I have found others that outperform them for less money. Still, 3 stars are warranted for comfort and performance.

I love this sock. It's designed for comfort: whether…

Summary

I love this sock. It's designed for comfort: whether I am going shopping with friends on a colder day and want to keep my toes warm; or I'm on a hike in rugged terrain; or scrambling on rocks to figure out where I am it works well.

Pros

• Soft cushy bottom
  • Moisture wicking

Cons

• Price

I may seem cheap but I didn't grow up wearing $18 socks, so the price seems steep for me so I wait for sales.

By the way, I read hiking and camping books that say that wool helps keep your feet from smelling bad which may be true, but if you sweat in them they still kind of smell a bit like wet sheep.

SmartWool hiking socks are some of the most expensive…

SmartWool hiking socks are some of the most expensive socks in the market. I have no problems paying more for a piece of gear that will out perform less expensive items of similar purpose, however it is not the case of SmartWool socks that they are worth their price.

Smartwool socks wear out so fast it's ridiculous - you could buy socks from a cheap department store and those would last longer. While it may be true that SmartWool has some attractive, comfortable designs, so do some other companies.

My advice is that you try a WigWam sock because they are less expensive, just as attractive, and it is not possible for a sock to wear out faster than SmartWool.

Visit SmartWool's Men's Hiking Medium Crew page.

On Sale. Smartwool Striped Hike Medium Crew Sock FEATURES of the Smartwool Striped Hike Medium Crew Sock Wow technology in reinforced sole for maximum comfort and durability 3x1 ribbed leg Sizing clearly indicated on the sock Flat knit toe seam Elasticized arch brace SPECIFICATIONS of the Smartwool Striped Hike Medium Crew Sock 75% Merino Wool, 24% Nylon, 1% Elastane Height: Crew Cushioning: Medium Full Cushion

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

Protect your feet on rugged day hikes or moderate backpacking excursions with this men s crew sock that s constructed with medium-density cushioning. This three-season sock is crafted of SmartWool s versatile stretch merino wool for superior moisture management and temperature regulation. A supportive, elasticized arch brace holds the sock in place while hiking across varied terrain. WOW Technology reinforces the bottom of the forefoot and heel with high-density merino wool for maximum all-day comfort.

- The North Face refers to the men's version

The Striped Hike Medium Crew sock from Smartwool is made of plush Merino wool too keep your feet feeling good no matter how long you're on the trail. WOW technology provides a reinforced sole for maximum comfort and protection from impacts. PRODUCT FEATURES: Knit in USA 75% Merino Wool, 24% Nylon, 1% Elastane WOW Technology in reinforced sole for maximum comfort and durability Elasticized arch brace Flat knit toe seam

- Appalachian Outdoors refers to the men's version

Happy feet mean longer hikes. Keep trekking along with the SmartWool Striped Hike Medium Crew Socks. WOWTM technology, arch support, medium cushioning and flat-knit seams ensure comfort.

- REI refers to the men's version