SmartWool PhD Run Medium Mini Sock

SmartWool's PhD Run (medium cushion) is hands down…

Summary

SmartWool's PhD Run (medium cushion) is hands down the best hiking sock I have ever used. After 100+ miles on the same pair, there is virtually no signs of wear or pilling.

Pros

• Extremely comfortable
  • Quality construction, durable materials
  • Great fit

Cons

• I've yet to discover one.

I've purchased SmartWool socks in the past and was not that impressed. They haven't held up any better than cheaper brands. For this reason, I had begun to believe that SmartWool was one of those companies that had once earned its reputation and then faded into fashion-oriented mediocrity.

However, the moment I tried on the PhD Run Medium Mini Sock in the store, I knew I was wearing a better quality sock than I had ever worn previously. That impression has continued after more than one hundred miles, composed of one longer trip and several weekend excursion.

Smartwool.jpg

Testing Conditions: I have been wearing these socks in the hills of the Shawnee Forest for the last 4 months, with my longest trip lasting around 80 miles. Temps have ranged from sub-freezing to mid-80's. I've worn them through many days of rain, with soaking wet feet and muddy trails. I have been wearing them with Injinji Toe Socks as liners.

Fit: These socks fit snugly. After several washings, I have observed no sagging or stretching (I wash my wool socks by hand and drip dry.).

Comfort: They are well cushioned on the heal and toe mound. They're extremely comfortable, the kind of socks you don't want to take off at the end of the day.

Temp Control: Being wool, they wick moisture well. My feet have been warm in colder temperatures and  cool in the heat.

Durability: I have observed no wear or pilling of the socks. This picture was taken after hitting the 100-mile mark. Note how little wear can be observed in the sole of this sock. I have never had a hiking sock looking this good after this amount of mileage.
SmartWool-PhD-2-.jpg

Odor: Being wool, these socks hold the stink down. My wife HATES it when I whip off wool socks and sniff them. But she's forced to admit, it takes a few days of hot hiking before they get too bad.

In Conclusion: Following is a video I have posted with a few other reviews. I have put approximately 30 more miles on them since this video. But wrapping it all up, I say this: SmartWool really impressed me with these socks. I hope to put a lot more miles on them before it's time to retire them. They were well worth the $19!

Jakuchu

I've been using the same socks and one thicker version fir winter the last two years. They're still going strong and are so good in all kinds of weather. Can't believe what a value for money that is.

KiwiKlimber

Nice review, Goose. Couldn't agree more with you on this one. I was given a pair of these socks from a retailer when I purchased a pair of shoes. They said the SmartWool reps asked them to give them away. I was skeptical of free socks, thinking they would be low-quality but I was wrong. They've held up better than the shoes I bought that day. Unquestionably the best socks I own.

If you're looking for a cushioned run, these are your socks. Thanks to Realiwool Technology in high density impact zones, these socks are sure to outrun your running shoes.

• New 4 Degree Elite Fit System uses two elastics for greater stretch and recovery to keep the sock in place
  • Patent pending ReliaWool Technology in high impact areas provides the longer lasting protection to keep feet comfortable
  • Flat knit durable toe seam for high burst strength
  • Double layer 1x1 ribbed welt
  • 3.75" overall height
  • Knit In USA Of Imported Yarn: 71% Merino Wool, 27% Nylon, 2% Elastane

Visit SmartWool's PhD Run Medium Mini Sock page.

Smartwool PhD Run Medium Mini Sock FEATURES of the Smartwool PhD Run Medium Mini Sock New 4Degree elite fit system uses two elastics for greater stretch and recovery to keep the sock in place Patented ReliaWool technology in high impact areas provides the longer lasting protection to keep feet comfortable Strategically placed mesh ventilation zones provide ventilation for temperature and moisture management Flat knit durable toe seam for high burst strength Double layer 1x1 ribbed welt 3.75in. overall height SPECIFICATIONS of the Smartwool PhD Run Medium Mini Sock 71% Merino Wool, 27% Nylon, 2% Elastane Height: Mini Cushioning: Medium Full Cushion

SmartWool PhD Run Medium Mini Sock

The SmartWool PhD Run Medium Mini Sock is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 16, 2014 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new running sock, check out the best reviewed current models.