SmartWool Reversible Training Beanie

My go-to beanie for thin, soft, medium-warmth head…

Summary

My go-to beanie for thin, soft, medium-warmth head comfort. Suitable under a helmet.

Pros

• Thin enough to fit under a bike helmet
  • Long enough to cover eyes and nose for sleeping outside
  • Merino wool is the best material

Cons

• Merino wool has no cons
  • Not thick enough for extended use in below-freezing weather

I keep at least 6 warm hats handy and like to always know which ones will be most appropriate based on weather, activity, mood, and what else I'm wearing. I've had a reversible pink/grey SmartWool beanie for about 5 years and it has consistently been my most versatile and comfortable hat.

Sometimes I want the pink to show more and other times I prefer the grey. Regardless of the fashion statement I make, I've got some of the finest, softest wool against my forehead, ears, and head. It fits nicely under a bicycle helmet, it's long enough to wear either folded double-back over the ears or single-layer long, pointy, and flopped back. It also works great while camping and sleeping in a sleeping bag, pulled down over my eyes and nose to block out light and keep in heat without overheating or suffocating me.

Compared to most beanies I've owned, this is the thinnest for sure, so it's suitable for spring and fall weather but doesn't always cut it during the coldest winter days.

If you've owned or used a SmartWool Reversible Training Beanie, please share your experience.