SmartWool Training Beanie

Breathable, lightweight beanie that fits well under…

Summary

Breathable, lightweight beanie that fits well under the hood of an over jacket or soft shell.

Pros

• Made of wool so works well when wet
  • Lightweight, so easy to carry along in a pocket or pack
  • Material/wool content varies to keep your ears warm while letting the top portion breath
  • Ergonomic design fit lower around the ear section

Cons

• Not for really cold weather

Another one of my lightweight purchases in preparation for higher altitude hikes this summer. I've worn this beanie several times under my Marmot Vapor Hoodie and during wet, snow/rain walks it has performed quite well when under the hood.

When I've worn it by itself in upper 20s it's not the warmest but that's not what it's designed for. This is a training beanie, which actually lets some of the heat/moisture escape while exercising yet keeping your ears and head warm enough.

I was looking for something that will pack light in my backpack for higher altitude day hikes this summer. It wads into a ball about the size of a cue ball and weighs very little. Based on its performance earlier this spring in the conditions I mentioned above, it should work well for those periodic situations where the weather turns bad and/or the temps drop while above tree line.

WP_20140520_17_30_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20140520_17_29_05_Pro.jpg

Sharp looking beanie, John! When you say "high altitude," how high are you going?

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Thanks for the review! I've been eyeing one of these for a while, now. They are really good looking.

FromSagetoSnow

I like light weight beanies too because they breathe when I'm, moving and fit under helmets, this one looks like a good choice.

jboothmtnbkr

Goose, I'm planning to summit some 14'ers this summer.

Oooo...jealous!

Had my Training Beanie for two years, X-country ski…

Fabric: SmartWool
Source: received it as a personal gift

Had my Training Beanie for two years, X-country ski /camping. I was always very pleased with the ability of the cap to keep me warm with comfort. Very packable as it is very thin yet one of my warmest stocking caps I have owned, yet it breathes so well overheating is very rare.

This hat sets a rare standard!

SC988-Redesigned in 2011, this beanie now features a four-panel design, which ensures a snug fit that will stay in place during high-intensity activities. NTS Light 195 and minimal, this can fold and fit into your pocket.

• 100% Merino Wool
  • Jersey knit construction
  • 4 panel; single layer crown design
  • Contoured; double layer earband with clean finish flatlock seams

Visit SmartWool's Training Beanie page.

The SmartWool Training beanie features lightweight, supersoft merino wool that offers enough insulation to keep your head warm when you're out for a run or a day of cross-country skiing.

On Sale. Smartwool NTS Light 195 Training Beanie FEATURES of the Smartwool NTS Light 195 Training Beanie NTS Light 195 fabric Jersey knit construction 4 panel, single layer crown design Contoured, double layer ear band with clean finish flatlock seams SPECIFICATIONS of the Smartwool NTS Light 195 Training Beanie 100% Merino Wool

The Smartwool Training Beanie is great for running outdoors. This beanie features a four-panel design, which ensures a snug fit that will stay in place during high-intensity activities. Lightweight and minimal, this can fold and fit into your pocket.

- CampSaver.com

Perfect for life in the mountains, our Ski Town hat is the perfect accessory for apres-ski.

- RockCreek