SPOT Connect

Avery helpful device which is easy to us. I use it…

Price Paid: 120 EUR

Summary

Avery helpful device which is easy to us. I use it now for one year and 5 months, cycling around the world. It is used with the iPhone 4S. 45 letters message. You can connect it with Facebook or Twitter.

Pros

• 45 letters message
  • Easy to use
  • Link to Facebook and Twitter

Cons

• Expensive
  • Only Lithium batteries, which you can not buy for example in Central Asia
  • Sometimes it takes very long to find connection to a satellite
  • in cities with high houses difficult to use.

We are traveling now for over one year by bicycle. We used the device in the desert of Kazachstan and in the high mountains with snow and cold in Kyrgyzstan. No problems. You can follow our track, so you can see, that it is working quite well.

Search for global-cycling on blogspot. There is a live-tracking.

It is connected with spotwalla, and 90% of the usage, the device is reliable.

Our friends love to follow our track and honestly I would buy it again.

Spot can remove one's fear of being stranded in a…

Summary

Spot can remove one's fear of being stranded in a no cellphone place. It can save your life!

Pros

• The way it works

Cons

• I don't see any weakness in Spot

i have had my Spot for several years and it is still just perfect.  Johannesburg, Ca, has been my go-to place.  I live in Las Vegas, Nv.  To get to Johannesburg I have two choices.  I15 and then another hi-way.  there are many wrecks on I15 and the traffic is awful.

I choose my second choice which is to drive thru Death Valley. There is little cell phone service in Death Valley so if one has a problem what can one do? Use Spot to come to the rescue. I've read of several deaths that could have been prevented if only the person that died had been carrying a Spot.

Not much expense  for such a great item. If one never uses it then it is still worth the cost as it takes away fear and lets one enjoy the trip.

Works great with my smartphone to upload messages…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (Kept it)

Summary

Works great with my smartphone to upload messages to Facebook or for friends/family to track us, but gives us peace of mind should anything bad happen and we need help.

Pros

• Small and durable
  • Great battery life

Cons

• Can be slow to upload messages
  • Can only write messages of so many characters

Product is well made, durable and has excellent battery life. We travel on our ATV's in areas of Northern Ontario which does not have any cell phone coverage. Should we break down, or get hurt we would have no way of contacting anybody to help us, so we were looking for something we could carry with us.

It is easy to use and when paired with our smartphone allows us to post updates on Facebook for our friends/family to see.  We have also shared the live tracking feature for people to see where we go on our rides.

We have been using our Spot Connect now for almost a year, and would highly recommend it!

I carry on my ATV in some rugged Nevada mountains.

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Golf tournament raffle prize)

Summary

I carry on my ATV in some rugged Nevada mountains. Great having the unit handy for emergency. Also use to check in with contacts. Gives loved ones a secure feeling.

Pros

• Rugged
  • Batteries last a long time
  • Cool gadget

Cons

• Not being able to add contacts in the field
  • Slightly bulky for carrying in pocket

I try not to put too much trust in electronics out in the wild, but this unit provides a lot of comfort and trust.

If you've owned or used a SPOT Connect, please share your experience.