User Review: SteriPEN Adventurer Opti
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $89.95
In general, the product performed as expected. I wanted a quick, lightweight method to purify water that didn't take up a lot of space in my pack.
- Lightweight at 3 oz.
- Quick; purifiying water at 90 seconds/liter
- Small size at 6.5 x 2.0 x 1.5 inches in case
- Requires expensive CR123 batteries
- Requires pre-filtering of water before treatment
- Requires large mouth containers.
I bought this device as a way to reduce weight and size in my pack while having an ability to purify water relatively quickly. I spent a lot time doing research online to help me determine which system met my needs.
I already own a MSR Miniworks filter unit that works flawlessly but, is heavy and bulky. I have used iodine tablets and don't care for the time to purify, taste and color of the water. The Adventurer Opti looked like what I wanted for my needs. The unit performed to my expectations without issue.
Here are the caveats:
- I had to pre-filter the water to remove any large solids. Protozoa, bacteria and viruses need direct UV exposure to be killed. A bandana worked well although, slowed the water collection process.
- I had to use a large mouth container to allow the swirling action needed to stir around water in the container. Basically a Nalgene brand, large mouth bottle. Not exactly lightweight.
- The batteries are expensive. In my area, a pair of CR 123 batteries cost over $6 dollars for two. Not a lot of money but over time, adds to the cost of ownership.