SteriPEN Journey LCD

Stopped working after only 2 liters in the backcountry.

Summary

Stopped working after only 2 liters in the backcountry.

Pros

Cons

• Quit working after first day

So I filmed this video clip while on the River-to-River Trail. I'm pretty mad.

To further explain, it arrived a couple weeks before my trip. I tested it at home to make sure everything was working right. Three days before my trip, I demonstrated it to my Cub Scout den, as we were learning about the "Ten Essentials."

On the first day on the trail, we stopped to refill water bottles. It took multiple attempts to get it to work. I kept getting the "Frown Face." Finally, it purified 2 liters.

The next morning, I handed it to my buddy and left him to take care of water while I made breakfast. He came to me a few minutes later and said the battery light was coming on. So after only 2 liters (plus the 2 I tested at home), the battery was dead.

We finished the week using purifying tablets. The taste is nasty, but I think that's my new ultralight solution.

Bill "L.Dog" Garlinghouse

Met a couple hiking the AT southbound in Maine. Well, he was hiking the AT. She was doing the the 100-Mile Wilderness. Second day in, their steripen battery crapped out, and he was carrying the wrong replacement. His response was to haul ass thru the wilderness as quickly as possible. I predict she'll never hike with him again ...

G00SE

There is plenty of items that, if they stop working, are a mere inconvenience (Rats! My tent leaked!) but water is an essential, and I find what happened to be unacceptable.

Bill "L.Dog" Garlinghouse

Agree wholeheartedly. And there are so many such stories, that SteriPen has a long journey to regain trust.

G00SE

"There ARE plenty of items..." I did learn grammar at one time. :P

I bought this unit to replace a water filter when…

Price Paid: US$100

I bought this unit to replace a water filter when its valve tore after several months of hard use on the AT. The first 8 liters went well, then the battery went flat. 3 more pairs of new batteries would only treat 2-4 liters of water before they also were flat according to the device. I kept the batteries in my underwear to keep them warm, and this worked for 2 more liters.

A waste of money and I'll never buy another one.

I thought that this was one of the coolest products…

I thought that this was one of the coolest products I had seen in awhile when I bought it. But this weekend I took it out for the first time, only to find it doesn't work! At home I purified several liters of water no problem. But on the trail I couldn't get the damn thing to work! I ended up having to boil 4 liters of water! I don't recommend anybody get one.

If you've owned or used a SteriPEN Journey LCD, please share your experience.