SteriPEN Journey LCD

Weight 139 g (4.9 oz.) with batteries.
Dimensions 18.6 cm (7.3 in.) in length, 4.1 cm (1.6 in.) in width, and 3.3 cm (1.3 in.) in depth.
Battery 2 CR123 batteries (included)

Stopped working after only 2 liters in the backcountry.

Summary

Stopped working after only 2 liters in the backcountry.

Pros

Cons

• Quit working after first day

So I filmed this video clip while on the River-to-River Trail. I'm pretty mad.

To further explain, it arrived a couple weeks before my trip. I tested it at home to make sure everything was working right. Three days before my trip, I demonstrated it to my Cub Scout den, as we were learning about the "Ten Essentials."

On the first day on the trail, we stopped to refill water bottles. It took multiple attempts to get it to work. I kept getting the "Frown Face." Finally, it purified 2 liters.

The next morning, I handed it to my buddy and left him to take care of water while I made breakfast. He came to me a few minutes later and said the battery light was coming on. So after only 2 liters (plus the 2 I tested at home), the battery was dead.

We finished the week using purifying tablets. The taste is nasty, but I think that's my new ultralight solution.

Bill "L.Dog" Garlinghouse

Met a couple hiking the AT southbound in Maine. Well, he was hiking the AT. She was doing the the 100-Mile Wilderness. Second day in, their steripen battery crapped out, and he was carrying the wrong replacement. His response was to haul ass thru the wilderness as quickly as possible. I predict she'll never hike with him again ...

There is plenty of items that, if they stop working, are a mere inconvenience (Rats! My tent leaked!) but water is an essential, and I find what happened to be unacceptable.

Bill "L.Dog" Garlinghouse

Agree wholeheartedly. And there are so many such stories, that SteriPen has a long journey to regain trust.

"There ARE plenty of items..." I did learn grammar at one time. :P

I bought this unit to replace a water filter when…

Price Paid: US$100

I bought this unit to replace a water filter when its valve tore after several months of hard use on the AT. The first 8 liters went well, then the battery went flat. 3 more pairs of new batteries would only treat 2-4 liters of water before they also were flat according to the device. I kept the batteries in my underwear to keep them warm, and this worked for 2 more liters.

A waste of money and I'll never buy another one.

I thought that this was one of the coolest products…

I thought that this was one of the coolest products I had seen in awhile when I bought it. But this weekend I took it out for the first time, only to find it doesn't work! At home I purified several liters of water no problem. But on the trail I couldn't get the damn thing to work! I ended up having to boil 4 liters of water! I don't recommend anybody get one.

The SteriPEN JourneyLCD uses universal symbols to take the guesswork out of the water purification process. Journey’s integrated LCD screen displays the user’s dose selection (1/2 liter or 1 liter), battery status and countdown timer. The LCD screen also tracks the number of uses and signals when lamp usage approaches its life limit. At 10,000 cycles, lamp life for the JourneyLCD reaches a new high (purify 1 liter 4 times a day for nearly 7 years!).

Like all SteriPENs, the Journey is fast (48 seconds for 0.5 L (16 oz.)), light (139g /4.9 oz.), effective, and even easier with its innovative LCD screen. The Journey mates with the SteriPEN pre-filter and is sized between the Adventurer and Classic.

The revolutionary SteriPEN Journey uses universal symbols to take the guesswork out of the water purification process. Journey’s integrated LCD screen displays the user’s dose selection (1/2 liter or 1 liter), battery status and countdown timer. The LCD screen also tracks the number of uses and signals when lamp usage approaches its life limit. At 8,000 cycles, lamp life for SteriPEN JourneyLCD reaches a new high (purify 1 liter 4 times a day for nearly 7 years!). Like all SteriPENs, the Journey is fast (48 seconds for 0.5 L (16 oz.)), light (128g /4.5 oz.), effective, and even easier with it’s innovative LCD screen. System includes Nalgene bottle & FitsAll filter

- Vargo Outdoors

The SteriPEN Journey makes water purification almost too easy. It eliminates outdoor microbes, viruses and bacteria with a flick of a switch. The UV light disrupts microbe DNA making it impossible to replicate, which means you're free to enjoy your travel, and carry way less toilet paper.

- All Mountain Access

The Steripen Journey Water Purifier has been updated and is now called the Ultra. These last few Journey's offer the same great features including an LCD screen displays your choice of how much water you want to purify (1/2 or 1 liter), battery status indicator and a countdown timer to tell you when the process is complete and your water is safe to drink. Awesome backpacking and travel tool UV lamp kills more than 99.9 percent of bacteria, viruses and protozoan cysts such as giardia, e. coli and cryptosporidia without altering the taste or pH of water and without added chemicals LCD displays treatment time, battery status and usage Quick and easy to use, filter your entire Nalgene (32 oz.) in just 90 seconds Automatically turns itself off, light source can be used up to 8,000 times Tapered design provides a snug fit with water bottles Easy to clean Includes customized neoprene carrying case and 2 CR123 lithium batteries

- OMCgear

Free Shipping. SteriPen Journey LCD Handheld Water Purifier The revolutionary JourneyLCD Handheld Water Purifier by SteriPen uses universal symbols to take the guesswork out of the water purification process. Journey's integrated LCD screen displays the user's dose selection (1/2 liter or 1 liter), battery status and countdown timer. The LCD screen also tracks the number of uses and signals when lamp usage approaches its life limit. At 10,000 cycles, lamp life for SteriPEN JourneyLCD reaches a new high (purify 1 liter 4 times a day for nearly 7 years!). Like all SteriPENs, the Journey is Fast (48 seconds for 0.5 L (16 oz.)), Light (128g /4.5 oz.), Effective, and even easier with it's innovative LCD screen. The Journey mates with the SteriPEN pre-filter and is sized between our Adventurer and Classic. Journey ships with two non-rechargeable (disposable) CR123 batteries. SPECIFICATIONS of the Journey LCD Handheld Water Purifier by SteriPen Product Dimensions: 7.3 L x 1.6 W x 1.3 H in. Product Weight: W/O Batteries: 3.3 oz Product Weight: Batteries: 4.5 oz Battery Type: CR123 (2) Package Dimensions: 8.0 L x 2.0 W x 9.0 H in. Pkg. Wt.: 12.1 oz Units/Case: 6 Case Dimensions: 15.5 L x 10.0 W x 11.25 H in. Case Wt.: 7.1 lbs Harmonized Code: 8421.21.0000

SteriPEN Journey LCD

currently retails for:
MSRP: $129.95

The SteriPEN Journey LCD is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 21, 2014 at OMCgear.

If you're looking for a new water purifier, check out the best reviewed current models.