Tarptent Scarp 1

81 cm
Weight 44 ounces (1250 g)
Weight crossing poles 12 ounces (340 g)
Sleeps 1+
Interior height 39 inches (99 cm)
Floor area 19 sq ft (1.77 sq m)
Vestibule area 6.25 sq ft (0.58 sq m) each side
Floor width 32 inches 5 inches (13 cm) bathtub floor walls
Floor length 86 inches (218 cm)

Fantastic tent, lightweight (1.3kg), great design…

Price Paid: $600 NZD

Summary

Fantastic tent, lightweight (1.3kg), great design for all round strength, and the great venting features mean it deals well with condensation and help to cool the tent in warmer weather.

Pros

• Strength
  • Space!
  • Dual vestibules
  • Speed of 'de-camping'

Cons

• Pitching takes practice
  • Very minor faults from manufacture
  • Basic tent not freestanding (two additional poles required)
  • Internal poles mean you can't stuff sack it, and it always has to go as checked baggage.

The Scarp 1 has a few different configurations. This review refers to the solid interior tent without the extra crossing poles.

I am a big, big fan of this tent. The setup can be a little bit tricky at first, but the line tighteners are fantastic (I added key rings to the end of my lines to get a easier purchase on them), and once I had pitched it a few times I soon got the hang of it.

And the strength you get from the pitch is fantastic, I've slept confidently inside while the winds outside have been raging and gusting in all directions. The inner and the outer skin also stay attached and pitch as one, so even when it's raining as you pitch you'll still be climbing in to a dry home (always close all the zips vents before you take it down, not only for keeping the rain out, but also because it makes it faster to get a taut pitch)

The dual vestibules mean you've got gear storage and cooking/access space, which you can change around if the wind requires it. But what doesn't get mentioned often is they also provide an extra exit or view point, which I am a big fan of if there's dangerous wildlife about.

I also really like the space this tent gives you. I am 6 ft, so not the tallest, but still need a good amount of space and the verticle walls, and the high flat sections at the end of this tent make it a really comfortable space to be in, and to move around in.

Another big advantage of the dual vestibules fits in with another big feature of this tent — venting. There are two end vents that can be opened and secured, two top vents, the sides of the outer skin can be raised several inches from the ground, and the doors secure with clips at the bottom, meaning they can be unzipped to supply venting, but still kept closed.

And for the really warm nights you can just open and secure the outer doors and let the through-draft cool the tent down — the mesh sections on the solid interior are large enough to provide lots of venting, but high enough up that you still get plenty of privacy when you have neighbours.

The other features of the tent are fairly basic, just a couple of gear pockets, but I really like the fact that this tent focusses on what's most important, and save weight by skipping the things you really don't need.

Once I did have it up and settled I did notice a couple of faults from the hand manufacture, I'm told Henry Shires and Tarptent are fantastic for fixing problems, but all I have to deal with is a bit of a messy hem (the fault is with the trimming — the stitching all through the tent is solid), and unfortunately the tag that holds back one of the inner doors was not stitched in - a very quick fix.

The other thing to mention is that this tent is not free-standing unless you also pack the extra support poles, which are designed to add extra strength for snow-loading, as well as making it free-standing. But the only time that has ever been an issue has been when I was pitching on the wooden platforms you sometimes find at campsites — and it was just a matter of using some extra guy lines to extend those on the tent down to the ground.

But my favourite thing about this tent is how fast it comes down, I have not seen anyone else get there tent down and bagged as fast as mine — even before I've had my morning coffee (AeroPress!). And for me that is one of the biggest advantages when you are getting an early start for a big day, or when the weather is cold and nasty and you just want to get moving to get warm.

Welcome to Trailspace, Richard! Thanks for the review.

Very user friendly, roomy, easy and quick to erect…

Price Paid: £263

Summary

Very user friendly, roomy, easy and quick to erect and a nice place to be. Capable of withstanding high winds, it quickly earned my confidence. In England and Wales we have to camp discretely so dark green would be preferable, but Scarp 1 is an improvement on the Akto, no mean achievement.

Pros

• Nice light and spacious inner
  • Plenty of storage and cooking space in porches

Cons

• Guy lines too short

Easy to pitch, even in a gale. Sensible usable pegs although the top pulled off one of mine. Pole a tight fit in sleeve, can be a bit sticky when threading and unthreading especially when the tent is wet. Never found condensation to be a problem however I tend to sleep with inner doors open if possible. I seam sealed my tent before first using it and rain never penetrates.

It is a well designed and made tent which has earned my trust. Replacing an Akto is a hard act but it seems to be as tough whilst also being a more pleasant tent having increased head room when sitting and more head and foot room when lying down. My feet would often rub against the Akto's damp inner, wetting my sleeping bag, a problem the Scarp avoids. Compared with the Akto the Scarp seems flimsy in some areas however in use it is at least as capable whilst being a slightly nicer place to be.

In a gale the Scarp is stable when foot to wind but if the wind veers onto the tent side then the pole will distort inwards. This can be reduced by use of extra guy lines tied to the loops on the pole sleeve.

Wild camping is neither legal nor illegal in England and Wales so we have to be careful not to be discovered if permission to camp has not been given. A dark green fly would be welcomed.

I love having two porches and often lie in the tent with both doors open, giving views in both directions and superb ventilation. The door tieback for the outer tent works well but I carry a pair of clothes pegs which let the inner doors open wider than the original set up. I have lengthened the guy lines to give more flexibility in placing the pegs, a necessity in the UK.

In just over a year I have had about 8 weeks use, mostly in inclement weather. The tent shows no sign of wear although I have had to straighten the pole twice.

I love it and highly recommend it.

Tarptent Scarp 1

The Tarptent Scarp 1 is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.