Tarptent Scarp 1

Very user friendly, roomy, easy and quick to erect…

Price Paid: £263

Summary

Very user friendly, roomy, easy and quick to erect and a nice place to be. Capable of withstanding high winds, it quickly earned my confidence. In England and Wales we have to camp discretely so dark green would be preferable, but Scarp 1 is an improvement on the Akto, no mean achievement.

Pros

• Nice light and spacious inner
  • Plenty of storage and cooking space in porches

Cons

• Guy lines too short

Easy to pitch, even in a gale. Sensible usable pegs although the top pulled off one of mine. Pole a tight fit in sleeve, can be a bit sticky when threading and unthreading especially when the tent is wet. Never found condensation to be a problem however I tend to sleep with inner doors open if possible. I seam sealed my tent before first using it and rain never penetrates.

It is a well designed and made tent which has earned my trust. Replacing an Akto is a hard act but it seems to be as tough whilst also being a more pleasant tent having increased head room when sitting and more head and foot room when lying down. My feet would often rub against the Akto's damp inner, wetting my sleeping bag, a problem the Scarp avoids. Compared with the Akto the Scarp seems flimsy in some areas however in use it is at least as capable whilst being a slightly nicer place to be.

In a gale the Scarp is stable when foot to wind but if the wind veers onto the tent side then the pole will distort inwards. This can be reduced by use of extra guy lines tied to the loops on the pole sleeve.

Wild camping is neither legal nor illegal in England and Wales so we have to be careful not to be discovered if permission to camp has not been given. A dark green fly would be welcomed.

I love having two porches and often lie in the tent with both doors open, giving views in both directions and superb ventilation. The door tieback for the outer tent works well but I carry a pair of clothes pegs which let the inner doors open wider than the original set up. I have lengthened the guy lines to give more flexibility in placing the pegs, a necessity in the UK.

In just over a year I have had about 8 weeks use, mostly in inclement weather. The tent shows no sign of wear although I have had to straighten the pole twice.

I love it and highly recommend it.

If you've owned or used a Tarptent Scarp 1, please share your experience.

Tarptent Scarp 1

The Tarptent Scarp 1 is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.

81 cm
Weight 44 ounces (1250 g)
Weight crossing poles 12 ounces (340 g)
Sleeps 1+
Interior height 39 inches (99 cm)
Floor area 19 sq ft (1.77 sq m)
Vestibule area 6.25 sq ft (0.58 sq m) each side
Floor width 32 inches 5 inches (13 cm) bathtub floor walls
Floor length 86 inches (218 cm)