Tarptent Scarp 2

Floor Length 86 in / 218 cm
Floor Area 31 ft2 / 2.9 m2
Interior Height 45 in / 111 cm
Sleeps 2

Excellent customer service and made in the USA! My…

Price Paid: $355 - $400 with the optional pole set and shipping

Summary

Excellent customer service and made in the USA! My first experience with Henry and the Tarptent staff was nothing short of excellent! The Scarp 2 is well crafted, lightweight, versatile in configuration, and spacious.

I highly recommend this tent to anyone camping as a pair and/or with a pet. Packs down small and light for those looking to lighten their load and working with minimal pack space.

Pros

• Nice looking tent
  • Solid seam work
  • Versatile configuration
  • Huge for a 2-person tent
  • Excellent venting options
  • Free standing option
  • Quick and easy setup (once you figure it out)

Cons

• Not free standing without optional pole set
  • Optional poles add 17 oz.
  • Super slippery material
  • Stuff sac barely holds the rolled up tent
  • Stability questionable without optional pole set
  • does not come seam sealed

I had narrowed my options down to a couple tents and I settled on the Scarp 2 for a several reasons, but the one that pushed me over the edge was because I had emailed Tarptent with a few questions and literally within a couple hours I had received a phone call back and had all my concerns tended to. There were other things but that was a big deal for me.

Now for the tent. I received the tent within a week of ordering, as it was in-stock.

What you get: You have a couple options with the Scarp 2; There are two interior bodies you can choose from: a solid body with minimal mesh for 4-season, or the mesh body for 3-season (all mesh except seams and floor) this is the option I went with. The sil-nylon fly; this comes clipped to the body so its a one piece set up. Six super light Easton aluminum stakes, and all the necessary guy lines are integrated into the tent. And a sil-nylon stuff sac. Optionally you can order carbon fiber poles, an extra set of poles for stability and freestanding feature, as well you can order both interior bodies if desired. They offer seam sealing kits, ground cloths etc.

Setup: Initial setup is tricky, but once I figured it out I have the tent pitched in around two minutes or less. Once guyed out the walls are taught, the bathtub floor sits high enough to protect from splashing. Add on the optional 2-pole set and the tent opens up even more and becomes free standing.

Ventilation: There are several options for ventilation; Two rigid vents at the peak with Velcro and clips are the first vents you see, at both zippered vestibule doors there is shock cordage with clips to pull up the entire wall a few inches to vent, along with small zippered vents with similar cordage on either end.

Interior space: I set it up initially to seam seal the body with my buddy who purchased the Double Rainbow. I am 5'8" 160# he is 6' 220# and we fit in there with enough room to put packs etc. I bet 4 people could sit and play cards in there albeit snugly, but totally doable.

The claimed floor area is 31 square feet. Most 2-person tents are around 27-29. Vestibules are a little on the small side but still give you an extra 19" from the body to the fly. The cabin style design give ample headroom even near the walls. No worries about bumping the tent with your head during the night.

Packing/Storage: Packing this tent is easier than putting it up, which as most of you know is not the case with many tents. Getting them back into the stuff sack is near impossible. Pull the stakes, remove the usually single ridge pole and roll it up. Yeah that's it!!! To give you an idea of packed size. The packed tent (not counting the extra 2 poles) fits in the exterior mesh pocket of my Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60 (soon to be reviewed) :) I will post measurements with my field pics.

Work in progress will finish and add pics asap!!!

The Scarp will be making a 3-day 2-night trip the 4th weekend, so I'll hopefully have lots of feedback.

Thanks for sharing this, Justin. I'd love to see some pictures in the field once you have the chance.

macchiolives

I NEED a Tarptent!

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Nice write-up, Justin. I've been wanting a Tarptent for quite some time now. The space to weight ratio is pretty awesome.

• All season protection
  • Double wall, dual entry, and dual vestibules
  • Free-standing with optional 16-ounce pole set
  • Separate living compartment clips up to fly and is completely removable.
  • Interior never gets wet during entry, exit, setup or takedown in storms.
  • Roomy with excellent gear storage space
  • Taut pitch with PitchLoc foldable corners
  • Reflective spectra cord guylines
  • Fast setup — 2 minutes from sack to pitched
  • Integrated line tighteners

Visit Tarptent's Scarp 2 page.

Tarptent Scarp 2

The Tarptent Scarp 2 is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new 3-4 season convertible tent, check out the best reviewed current models.