Terra Nova Voyager

£400.00

I have had this tent the Terra Nova Voyager for just…

Price Paid: 400

Summary

I have had this tent the Terra Nova Voyager for just under a year now, mostly taken out in fair weather. I decided to camp on top of Pen-y-fan 11/04/15. The wind conditions were moderate to strong at the time, but with this being rated a 4-season tent I was confident it would withstand the weather being thrown at it, but boy was I wrong.

The arch pole over the door kept being blown back onto the tent and me inside all night. Despite being pitched correctly the result in the morning was a broken pole and where the red pole sits over the two blue horizontal poles it had rubbed holes in both pole sleeves and the stitching inside was tearing through the inner tent where the pole sleeves attach. Now I cannot insert the poles through the sleeves without them coming through the holes.

I contacted Terra Nova about this. They were useless. After many emails and pictures of the damage were sent I had to send it off to them—two weeks for them to look at it and after they made a decision another 2-3 weeks for them to repair it at, my expense when it is clearly a design fault as there is no reinforcement protection where the poles overlap on the front of the tent but there is protection on the rear.

Truly disappointed in their poor customer service. I expected more form a British company. I have lost faith in their products and will buy a Hilleberg for a better experience .

Pros

• None

Cons

• Everything

Probably THE best tent you could buy for three or…

Design: 3 pole geodesic mountain tent
Ease of Setup: idiot proof
Weight: 2.5 kg
Price Paid: £280

Probably THE best tent you could buy for three or four season mountaineering.

Really easy and quick to put up has it has three poles, all equal in length which slide into the sleeves of the inner.

The outer is then literally thrown over the inner and attached to through the same sleeves as the inner.

Lots of space inside for two people, certainly more than other 4 season mountaineering tests I have.
Has one door with a two way zip, which means that if you want to get out of the tent in bad weather you don't have to open the whole door area, letting the weather in.

Have used it in Scotland in the winter with winds in excess of 80mph and though it swayed a little and one of the poles is slightly bend, it held up very well
fairly light at 2.5kg (standard version).

My only comment is that the light version, seems to have a very thin fly.

I was given one which was 20yrs old, which i replaced after 8 yrs, the new version seems to be exactly the same as the old.

As a result all 5 of my climbing buddies over the last 2-5 yrs have also replaced their tents with a Voyager.

Some may say that not having 2 doors may be a slight downfall. I say that the simple the tent and the less sips, widgets and gadgets it has, the longer its going to last. Zips on any tent are generally the first thing that wear out

Buy it, and you won't have any regrets.

I brought this tent as a two-person although it would…

Design: three season
Ease of Setup: Fairly straight forward
Weight: 2.8 kg
Price Paid: £299

I brought this tent as a two-person although it would peform better as a one-person if you have equipment. This could be improved with a larger porch area. The tent pitches inner first so it can pose difficulties if it is raining. The tent is very well made from the best of materials and is able to withstand the worst of weathers. Packs away very easily.

This tent has just enough room for two with good campcraft,…

Design: 3 season
Ease of Setup: Easily and quickly erected, even solo
Weight: 2.7kg(?)
Price Paid: £250-ish

This tent has just enough room for two with good campcraft, and for one it is still easily light enough. Good porch space and the door arrangement is excellent for (careful) cooking.

The pole sheaths are not continuous, which adds a little hassle, but makes it lighter.

Apart from a force 8 storm (after which the poles had to be straightened) and a trip across a mountain (someone forgot to hold on) (some patching needed), this has been a superb tent, and sharing it has inspired others to buy their own.