Teva Sunkosi

This is exactly as advertised-Teva's claims and description…

Materials: synthetic mesh, drains in sole
Use: trail, amphibious, watersports
Break-in Period: none
Weight: Light enough...

This is exactly as advertised-Teva's claims and description are a testimony, not marketing. Contrary to one review here I've found them to be plenty grippy on wet rocks (now wearing down my second pair). The only gripe I have is that the instep on the soles is solid plastic: great for protection, but not great if you jump to a rock and land on it rather than the rubber heel or ball section...the only time I've slipped in these shoes. The Sunkosi 2 addressed this (my next pair when my 1's wear out)

Update: December 19, 2011

Love the design, but with repeated exposure to fresh and salt water (immediately fresh water rinsed after, no eroding soaps used) the sole is delaminating from the mid-sole. Repairing myself, but disappointing considering the supposed "pro" level design of the sandal.

The rest of the shoe is flawless. Hopefully my glue job restores the sandal to its former glory.

Beware of New Old Stock of these sandals and others with the same Spider Rubber sole pattern. I am experiencing the same issue with other shoe/sandal models with the same sole design. It would appear that there was a mfg flaw for one season of production...

First the good: I've been using the Sunkosi as a river…

Price Paid: 120 NZD

First the good:
I've been using the Sunkosi as a river kayaking shoe for a couple of weeks. It's super comfy and fits in my boat well.

They look nice too.

BUT they are so slippery on wet rock that I'm better off wearing bare feet. The rubber on the bottom is way to hard and as a result it just slides everywhere. Do not recommend at all if you are planning on using these shoes on wet rock as they are just plain dangerous.

My husband and I live in Hawaii and love to hike,…

Use: dayhikes crossing streams over slippery rocks and kayaking

My husband and I live in Hawaii and love to hike, kayak and snorkel. I highly recommend this shoe. We were looking for a sandal/shoe hybrid that would drain quickly, wouldn't give us blisters when we didn't wear socks, and wouldn't allow rocks into the shoe.

At first we got the Salomon Amphibian shoes. We were disappointed. They didn't look very durable and they weren't very comfortable. We could tell we'd get blisters while wearing these shoes and they weren't cushy. We sent them back and got the more expensive Teva Sunkosi. It's worth the extra money not to have blisters.

The Tevas are very comfy, fit very securely around your foot, and have very good traction. They are also a good looking shoe. They are so comfortable, I feel like I could wear this shoe while jogging.

I saw it advertised on most websites for a little over $100. I found it for $74 at bentgear.com. Even if you don't find it on sale, it is worth the extra money.

The Teva Men's Sunkosi Shoes let you run up your favorite mountain trail without hopping over streams or slowing down to step on stones. The patent-pending drain technology lets water escape and air flow in freely. To make these amphibious shoes, Teva took quick-drying uppers and integrated them with high-friction Spider Rubber outsoles using their patented Wraptor Fit System, which wraps all the way around the foot through a unique channel in the midsole. A series of drainage ports with mesh screens inside the Sunkosi Shoes let water escape through the bottom of the shoe while denying access to debris. The EVA midsole provides cushioning and shock absorption, and a durable pull-cord lets you make lightning fast fit-adjustments on the trail.

- Backcountry Outlet refers to the men's version

CLOSEOUTS . No more soggy soles! Teva’s Sunkosi amphibious shoes feature a Drain Frame perforated footbed that allows water to drain quickly from underfoot. Wraptor(R) Fit strap system surrounds feet with 360-degree support. Synthetic upper with secure one-pull lacing Non-marking Spider Rubber(R) outsole with drainage ports Weight: 1 lb. 4 oz. pr. Medium width CLOSEOUTS . China. Runs small, order size larger. Visit our Shoe Sizing Guide

- Sierra Trading Post refers to the women's version

Grip, drain, breathe 1 the men's Teva Sukoosi with patent-pending Drain Frame technology is equally at home in the water as it is on the trail, and provides a stable, secure ride in any kind of outdoor environment. Quick-drying upper materials. Durable pull-cord for quick adjustment and easy entry/exit. Lacekeeper at the top of the tongue. Wraptor 360-degree continuous strapping system wraps completely around the foot through an innovative and unique channel in the midsole. Wraptor integrates the upper with the outsole by securing your foot directly over the cushioning platform to provide unparalleled support and stability. Compression molded EVA midsole provides shock absorption and stability. TPU Drain Frame platform wraps around the midsole creating anchor points with the upper for a secure fit. Patent-pending Drain Frame technology is a series of drainage ports with monofilament mesh screens allow water to escape directly through the bottom of the shoe while preventing debris from entering.

- EMS refers to the men's version

Equally at home in the water as it is on the trail, the men's Sunkosi redefines amphibious footwear. Quick-drying synthetic and mesh upper Durable pull cord for quick adjustment and easy entry/exit Hidden lacekeeper at the top of the tongue 360 degree quick drainage system Compression molded EVA midsole Non-marking Spider Rubber outsole with drainage ports.

- Campmor refers to the men's version

Equally at home in water or on the trail, Teva® Sunkosi shoes offer traction and quick-draining performance, a must for amphibious adventures! Polyurethane and nylon mesh uppers let water flow freely from shoes and dry quickly for comfort in varied elements. Unique 360° drainage system in uppers allows excess water to escape in all directions for enhanced comfort and performance. Durable pull cord allows quick adjustment and easy entry and exit; special pocket at top of tongue stows laces and lace locks. Wraptor™ Fit technology snugs securely across insteps while pulling webbing in at heels and arches for a supportive, static fit even when wet. Neoprene collar and lining help keep debris out of shoes and protect bare feet from pressure and abrasion. Drain-Tech molded EVA insoles add cushioning; perforations allow water to escape so feet don't have to swim. Cushioned dual-density EVA midsoles absorb shock and transfer it for enhanced push-off energy. Nonmarking Spider Rubber® outsoles with aggressive lug design bite into mixed terrain and shed debris that can slow you down. Outsoles feature mesh drainage ports in heel and forefoot for full water expulsion.

- REI refers to the men's version

Teva Sunkosi

The Sunkosi has been discontinued.

The Teva Sunkosi is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 19, 2010 at Backcountry Outlet.

If you're looking for a new water shoe, check out the best reviewed current models.