The North Face 2-Meter Dome

I am selling this tent. I am always alone, my VE-24…

Price Paid: $5,000.00 USD

I am selling this tent. I am always alone, my VE-24 is adequate. A gent asked me to post a review at TRAILSPACE. Here it is.

A boat dropped me off deep in the River of No Return Wilderness. Salmon River. The boat operator said "got any whiskey?" I said "no." He said " I'll be back to pick you up in 2 weeks." He left.

I had set this tent up once before. In less than a half hour, the tent was up. My base camp setup was, for the most part, complete.

I was alone, always alone. I didn't see another human for 2 weeks. I was the KING OF IDAHO for 2 weeks. Elk and bear hunt.

I ate like a hog. Still, I lost thirty pounds. I am a very small person. Thirty pounds is a lot for me. I felt great. I felt powerful. Invincible. JEREMIAH JOHNSON. THE LAST MOUNTAIN MAN. Chingachgook.

I don't have a big IQ. The 2 METER NORTH FACE 8MAN 4 SEASON TENT almost went up by itself. This is called "excellent engineering." Tolerates a reasonable snow load.

This tent is a palace. Big as a house. Specs say 47 pounds, but i think it's far lighter.

Hole in the floor for your stove. Chimney stack in the roof for the fumes. 1 door. 2 windows.

I love this tent. Easy to set up. Easy to live with. I just travel alone. When the weather goes to hell, and you're stuck inside for 72 hours, you'll understand why you spent the money.

MY NAME IS JOHNNY WISHBONE, AND I APPROVED THIS MESSAGE.

Update: December 3, 2011

I think that this is a "North Face" or "North Star", not the current "2 Meter".

I stand corrected.

I will try to figure out how to post some pictures.

A tent that you'd only need for extended basecamp…

Design: perfect geodesic dome
Sleeps: 6+
Ease of Setup: rather difficult
Weight: 50 pounds
Price Paid: free

A tent that you'd only need for extended basecamp life. The fabric of both the tent body and fly are a lot more heavy-duty than what you find in regular tents--the floor was like backpack-grade cordura if I remember correctly.

The poles are also quite thick, much more than a standard tentpole. Pitching the tent is impossible with one person and very difficult with only two, and the pole order and sequence is not intuitive--better have it dialed or the instruction manual handy.

You can stand fully upright inside; it's basically a full-sized room, and the doors are just that--doors which you just walk right into. Great tent, but sadly lost it in a divorce battle. Such is life...

If you've owned or used The North Face 2-Meter Dome, please share your experience.

This four-season, eight-person geodesic-shaped dome tent is The North Face’s ultimate base-camp quarters. In the words of TNF pro rock climber Cedar Right, the 2-Meter Dome “was my living room, bedroom, kitchen, and art studio for two months… It was so cozy I almost didn’t want to leave.” With a built-in chimney vent, a canopy made of thick 210 denier nylon, a 1500mm polyurethane-coated fly, a beefy 420 denier nylon floor with a 10,000mm polyurethane coating, and durable zippered doors, this base-camp tent will provide reliable support whether your expedition’s base camp is set up at 16,000 feet in the Himalayas or in the inhospitable frigid Antarctica tundra. Twelve heat-treated, 11mm Easton 7075-E9 aluminum poles provide strong support in extreme conditions and slide through sleeves at crisscross intersections for steep walls and maximum living space.

Features:

• Hemisphere shape based on original geodesic dome principle developed by Buckminster Fuller
    Pole configuration creates steep walls and maximum headspace
  • Fully-taped seams for complete weatherproof protection
  • Two exterior windows and a chimney vent
  • Interior canopy loops