The North Face Recon

Great bag for edc (everyday carry) and day hikes.

Price Paid: $99 (US)

Summary

Great bag for edc (everyday carry) and day hikes. Comfortable, durable, and well designed.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Durability
  • Compartment organization

Cons

• Not very water resistant
  • No way to secure straps

I have two of these packs, one for everyday and a back up in case something happens to the 1st. They've held up really well and hold an obscene amount of stuff.

For example in the smaller front pocket I keep: my bushcraft knife, backup folder knife, a couple of SAK's, my Leatherman OHT, Fenix pd 32 flashlight, work gloves, 100 feet of para cord, a Zippo, fluid for said Zippo, a knife sharpener, calculator, fire steel, two pens, a stethoscope, e-shears, thermometer, and my Oakleys in their hard case.

Remember that's just one compartment, it's not even the largest compartment, and it's not crowded in that compartment. I could fit easily another 10-15 things in there, if I could figure out anything else I needed to carry.

Despite its ability to carry a lot, the pack isn't huge, just efficient. The straps distribute weight well and there is a hip belt that if you don't want to use it, it can be tucked away into pockets on the bottom of the bag. Pack has seen a lot of abuse and held up well.

The only bad thing I can say about the Recon is that most of the bag is only semi water resistant. The only exception to that is a small waterproof compartment near the top for electronics, wallet, etc.

Overall a great pack and one that would serve everyone from the outdoor enthusiast to the daily commuter well.

I like the front load style. I like that it's made…

Summary

I like the front load style. I like that it's made for a woman's frame. I am a day hiker and it is well suited for this.

Pros

• Well built
  • Front load style
  • Good size

Cons

• Would like more of a frame
  • Would like it to be a little more waterproof, live in the NW

I like the fit of this pack, I'm not a very tall women. The straps adjust easily, but would like it if they were wider.  The size is perfect for a day hike, which is what I bought it for.  I like the front load style, easier to organize for day use.

I've only had this pack for a month, but have enjoyed it so far.

If you've owned or used The North Face Recon, please share your experience.

The North Face Recon