The North Face Starfire Extreme

The best tent I have ever purchased, and I have gone…

Design: Freestanding modified geodesic dome
Ease of Setup: 5
Weight: 6 lb 3 oz

The best tent I have ever purchased, and I have gone through quite a few. I keep on upgrading my equipment, and if I don't like it or feel it's not the best out there, I end up selling it. Suffice it to say, I still have my Starfire Extreme after seven years.

Handles snow load easily, and if you pitch it end first into the wind, the wind shears off with no sway. Has never leaked in those years of snowcamping and wet Washington seasons.

Only problems, which I consider minor but just good information to know, is that ventilation is not superior, but adequate. It took a couple trips to finally realize that all points of the fly should be staked out, and then minimal condensation results. Also, not that this is designed for an expedition tent, but don't expect to cook in the tent or spend days in it. Keep the stove in the vestibule where you'll still be protected from the elements. Headroom is more than enough, but skewed to one side (for the wind shedding qualities I mentioned earlier) so you and your partner sit side by side to play cards, chat etc... and not facing one another.

Other than that, I wouldn't buy any North Face product now that they were bought out by Vanity Fair (the bra making company) in 2000 or so, but I wholeheartedly can endorse this tent, quality and performance.

I still check out the market and other than the fact that they now have lighter Easton Poles and more ventilation options on newer tents, I wouldn't trade this tent for anything else out there.

I plan on keeping and using this tent for a while, and see no problems in durability in passing it on to my kids.

This will be the third year that my North Face tent…

Design: 4 season backpacking tent
Sleeps: 2+
Ease of Setup: Very easy, but has to be perfect for optimum ventilation.
Weight: 6 lbs. 9 oz.

This will be the third year that my North Face tent has been going strong. It has had no problems, and has withstood tons of wind, rain, hail, snow, etc. When staked out with all of the guylines, this tent is bombproof.

One complaint is that it doesn't breathe as much as I would have liked for a backpacking tent. No problem in the winter, though.

Overall this tent has proven to be a stable shelter that doesn't weigh too much for a four-season tent. (About as much as a two person Eureka Timberline.)

I bought this tent to use on the Canadian Arctic coast.

Design: 3 season plus dome
Ease of Setup: very easy
Weight: 7.5 lbs
Price Paid: 400 CND

I bought this tent to use on the Canadian Arctic coast. It was the BEST choice. The tent withstood a 2-day windstorm on the tundra, and when my camping partners' tent collapsed, could still accomodate all three of us (albeit a little snugly). Very waterproof and very easy to set up, even in the dark. Worth every cent.

I love this tent. I have a VE25, and and REI Half…

Design: 3+
Ease of Setup: Super Easy
Weight: @6lbs

I love this tent. I have a VE25, and and REI Half Dome too. This tent eats wind. I have held out in a full gale 70 mph+ winds for two nights.

I have pitched it at 15k on Pico de Orizaba with literally howling wind for three nights, and used in in the worst of the worst.

It is roomy for one and a bit tight for two.

Also a little heavy, but hey 2+ years of solid service, and lots of storm use make this tent my fav.

Just wanted to add my $0.02 to the review of this…

Design: 3 Season Plus Semi Dome
Sleeps: 2-3
Ease of Setup: Medium. A little practice is needed to get it right.
Weight: 7.65 lbs

Just wanted to add my $0.02 to the review of this tent. I've found it comfortable, fairly easy to set up, and roomy enough for two. We slept three comfortably in it in Maine in mid-March. The vestibule is adequate, not outstanding, i.e. it gets crowded when you put two big packs and a pile of muddy boots out there. Interior headroom is nice.

Overall, I'd give it a 4 out of 5. It could be lighter, easier to set up, and have a bigger vestibule. Good solid tent for the price, though.

This has been the fourth season I will be using my…

Design: 3 Season Plus Semi Dome
Ease of Setup: This is an easy three pole tent to set up
Weight: 7.65 lbs

This has been the fourth season I will be using my TNF tent. Even though the price is a little steep, I think that it is worth it. The vestibule alone is roomy enough to store two tents and gear. Inside the tent there is enough girth for two people to sleep side by side without being pushed into the sides of the tent.

The North Face Starfire Extreme

The Starfire Extreme has been discontinued.

The North Face Starfire Extreme is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.