Therm-a-Rest BaseCamp

Very comfortable pad and you can adjust the firmness.

Summary

Very comfortable pad and you can adjust the firmness. Durable. For a camping pad, one of the best I have ever used.

Pros

• Self-inflating but adjustable
  • XLg was very good size for me

Cons

• Not great traction on bottom, so you can slide a bit if on a tilted surface

Very good product. The comfort was great. I used it camping sleeping on the ground. Could not feel the ground and the mattress was firm enough that even laying on my side, I was not touching the ground.

The only drawback was you need to be sure you are on surface that is flat or nearly flat. There isn't any traction on the bottom (a common problem with the camping mattresses I have looked at) and therefore if you are on any type of a hill, the mattress may slide down a little at night.

The bottom of my tent is like a tarp, with no real traction either, so I found on a slope, I slid a little towards the bottom of my tent during the night. But other than that, it is a great camping pad.

The classics are classic for a reason. Durable, insulating,…

Summary

The classics are classic for a reason. Durable, insulating, and comfortable. Reasonably priced.

Pros

• Durability
  • Comfort
  • Price

Cons

• Weight

This is a reasonably weighted pad that has withstood the test of time and teenagers. I had one when I was a teenager, and now I've moved on. It worked OK for backpacking and car camping, but wasn't exceptionally light or exceptionally comfortable.

Now Thermarest has both options (Neo Air and Dreamtime, respectively) and I will let my children and less-reliable friends use these. The biggest advantage is that these will last a long time and not develop leaks. They can take a fair amount of abuse, and self-inflate. I have had mine for more than ten years.

Very comfortable, insulates like crazy. A little heavy…

Very comfortable, insulates like crazy. A little heavy for some back-packers, but the weight is justified when cold-winter camping in remote locations (pictured below). It insulates very well. Rolls up easily and I have a waterproof carry bag so that I can strap it on the back of my pack. Mine inflate easily and deflate without fuss. Therm-a-Rest has it right.
camera-221.jpg