Therm-a-Rest TrailPro

The Trail Pro isn't the lightest or packs as small…

The Trail Pro isn't the lightest or packs as small as I like, but it is comfortable and warm. I found it to be most comfortable when it inflated itself without any help from me.

The first night I used it I thought it was a little limp looking so I firmed it up with a few breaths and was a little uncomfortable that night, the second night I opened the valve and allowed it to normalize and slept with no discomfort. It is plenty warm for 3 season camping.

My only real complaint is that it doesn't come with a stuff sack to protect it strapped to the outside my pack and it doesn't pack small enough to fit inside my pack very well.

Comfortable, but simply too heavy and large for a…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Comfortable, but simply too heavy and large for a backpacking trip.

Pros

• Cushy
  • Price

Cons

• Bulky
  • Heavy

The TrailPro has been surpassed in recent years. The NeoAir line of pads give you as much cushion but at a much lighter weight. The only downside is that I hear the newer, insulated Thermarests are noisy.

This pad has no noise to it, it is durable, it's a nice color, and it has performed well the 3-5 times I've used it. It is however outdated in that newer technology delivers the same or better r-value as at a lighter weight.

I think this will probably be the first piece of gear I replace in my search to lighten my load.

I bought the TrailPro because I wanted a self-inflating…

Price Paid: $249.95 NZD

I bought the TrailPro because I wanted a self-inflating mattress that could do double duty; both when I'm hammock camping and when I'm using a conventional tent or a bivy. And also because - I have to reluctantly admit - I'm not as young as I used to be and a comfy and warm nights sleep when I'm in the field is no longer a luxury - it's a necessity.

No - it's not the lightest, but then again it's not meant to be. If carrying the absolute minimum of weight is important to you then you'll probably be looking at other products anyway. However for myself the small additional weight and size penalty are a small price to pay for the additional comfort and insulation value.

The TrailPro is well-made which is really only to be expected with a product from a manufacturer whose name has almost become generic to their product. The flip-side of this coin however is that you do pay a premium to buy into the brand.

For the hammock-hangers out there; the TrailPro in my opinion certainly offers the best insulation you'll get from a self-inflating mattress (of a size suitable to backpacking), and is thick enough (50mm) and rigid enough to "iron out" the small creases that can form underneath you in a hammock and become rather uncomfortable.

For the maximum insulation (if you've chosen to go with the pad option as opposed to underquilts etc) you may benefit from adding a segmented pad extender of some kind which would add some insulation around the sides as the TrailPro is a tapered design and doesn't wrap around you as a larger, more rectangular pad would.

For myself however I've never felt the need for anything beyond a sleeping pad and a good quality sleeping bag. Also the TrailPro has a textured finish that minimises any tendency of the pad to move around underneath you - I haven't slipped off it at all while using it with my Hennessy Hammock.

When using it in a tent or in a bivy the 50mm thickness of the pad does a much better job of keeping all the small lumps and bumps you didn't notice when you set up camp at bay than any of the thinner 38mm or 25mm options.

All and all I think it's a good product that meets its design brief well. The only negative is the premium price for which I think it should at least come with a decent stuff sack or an included repair-kit.

rated 3.50 of 5 stars All TrailPro versions

In addition to the 3 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the TrailPro. Read all reviews »

Visit Therm-a-Rest's TrailPro page.

If comfort and ease-of-use are top priorities in your backpacking mattress, the Therm-A-Rest Trail Pro self-inflating mattress should be at the head of your list. Therm-A-Rest's warmest and most comfortable self-inflating mat thats still trail-friendly, the Trail Pro gets even better this season with their most advanced, vacuum-poured foam, saving you weight and space in your pack without any sacrifice in comfort. In fact, they have even added some by straightening the edges in the torso area to increase sleep surface and offer better gap-free mating of mattresses. Stuff sack included.

- CampSaver.com

Now warmer and more comfortable than ever, the classic Therm-a-Rest Trail Pro Sleeping Pad is your ticket to the Land of Nod in the backcountry. This classic has been updated with diagonal-cut foam, which brings added warmth by minimizing convective heat loss. Sleeping comfort is boosted by body-mapping construction that delivers targeted support and softness where you need it most, so you're sleeping far better than you ever thought you could on a two-inch-thick pad.

Free Shipping. Therm-A-Rest Trail Pro Mattress FEATURES of the Therm-A-Rest Trail Pro Mattress Backpacking mattress designed to offer great comfort and ease-of-use Therm-A-Rest's warmest and most comfortable self-inflating mattress Diagonal-cut foam provides increased warmth without adding weight Proprietary, vacuum-poured foam keeps weight to a minimum while delivering exceptional packability Two inches (5 cm) of supportive loft, plus a semi-rectangular shape allows for gapless coupling of mattresses Updated design included straighter edges in the torso area to increase the sleep surface A stuff sack is included Part of Therm-A-Rest's Trek and Travel Series of sleeping pads Made in the USA SPECIFICATIONS of the Therm-A-Rest Trail Pro Mattress R-Value: 4.0 Thickness: 2in. / 5 cm Top Fabric: 75d Polyester Bottom Fabric: 75d Polyester Core: Diagonal Punched Urethane Foam SPECIFICATIONS of Regular Weight: 1 lbs 14 oz / 860 g Dimensions: 20in. wide x 72in. long Packed Dimensions: 11in. x 6.6in. Volume: 3024 cubic inches SPECIFICATIONS of Large Weight: 2 lbs 8 oz / 1120 g Dimensions: 25in. wide x 77in. long Packed Dimensions: 13in. x 6.7in. Volume: 3850 cubic inches

Updated for 2011, the Thermarest TrailPro Regular inflatable sleeping pad is Therm-a-Rest's warmest and most comfortable self inflating pad ever. Diagonal-cut foam reduces heat loss while reducing weight and bulk. Pressure-mapping technology gives support and cushioning where you need it. 2 inch thickness smooths out rocks, pine cones, and pesky gophers. Non-slip ripstop polyester is durable, soft and keeps you from sliding around the floor of your tent. Packs down small to 11 by 7 inches (28 by 15 cm). Made in Seattle. Looking for one camping pad for backpacking and car camping? Pick up a Trail Pro from Thermarest today. Weight: 2 lbs. / 910g. Rolled Size: 11 x 7 in / 28 x 15 cm. R-Value: 4.8. Thickness: 2 in. / 5 cm. Dimensions: 20 x 72 in. / 51 x 183 cm. Volume: 2736 cu. in.. Outer Fabric Material: polyester. Fill Material: diagonally die-cut, pressure-mapped urethane foam. Made in Seattle, Washington, USA

- Tahoe Mountain Sports