Trangia 27-8 UL/HA

1 comment

Source: borrowed it

Summary

An ideal, reasonably lightweight cooking system for those who are willing to carry a bit of extra weight in order to have everything, but the kitchen sink! Well-suited for back country individuals focused more on comfort camping than long-distance backpacking.

Pros

• Offers a variety of cooking options for fuller menu choices
  • Entire cookset with stove—30.34oz.
  • Virtually maintenance free

Cons

• Takes up a fair amount of pack space
  • Expect to use (and carry) much more fuel for gourmet meals
  • Slower cook time than with a white gas stove
  • Frying pan was teflon (this was not listed when ordered)

BACKGROUND OF REVIEW:

On a 7-day September backpacking trip to Isle Royale National Park, three adult males used the Trangia 27-8 UL/HA as their sole cooking system. Our focus was more camping than hiking. We only averaged 6-8 miles per day, and our 45-50lb packs carried nearly all the comforts of home (including, books to read, cameras, and one guy had an 8lb tent!).

Food was a significant focus on our trip. We had a hot breakfast every morning and a hot dinner every night. Lunch was on the trail, snacking along the way.

CONDITIONS:

The stove was put to the test in high winds, steady rain, and light snow.

Winds on our second day, held steady at 25-30mph, with recorded gusts of 50+mph. (It was a terrifying day and night, as, even on the lee of the island, paper birch trees crashed to the ground around us. The day we were dropped off, we were told all boat traffic to the island would be suspended for 3-days, leaving some hikers stranded from their pick up time with not enough supplies!) The cookset's wind screen was thoroughly tested throughout the trip.

Temps held daytime averages between 37-50°F. The highest temperature was 57°F. The lowest was 28°F.

Rain and light snow occurred regularly for 5 of our 7 days on the island.

REVIEW:

The Trangia 27-8 UL/HA is a cookset implementing the Trangia Spirit Alcohol Stove (which I have reviewed previously). At 30.34 oz, the set includes:

1. Spirit Alcohol Stove
  2. Aluminum windshield
  3. 1-liter hard anodized aluminum sauce pans
  4. 7-inch hard anodized aluminum frying pan (ours unexpectedly had non-stick coating
  5. 0.6-liter tea kettle

We carried and used all parts of this cookset during our seven days on the island.

Isle-Royale-2007-124.jpg

Menu Versatility

Using all the components of the cookset allowed up to have elaborate meals each evening. The sauce pans were used to heat pasta and rice items.

The frying pan allowed us the luxury of heated tortillas (soft shell tacos), pita bread (pizzas) and toasted bagels.

Isle-Royale-2007-126.jpg

Isle-Royale-2007-199.jpg
Isle-Royale-2007-151.jpg

Other meals included scrambled eggs with hashbrowns, rigatoni pasta, Broccoli-cheddar Rice/Pasta, and even pancakes.

Our general meal routine went something like this:

1. Heat the kettle with water for coffee, tea, or instant soup while dinner cooks.
  2. Heat the ingredients of the sauce pan.
  3. Cover sauce pan items, while frying pan items are warmed (or toasted)
  4. Thoroughly gorge ourselves, while the kettle is warming water for more hot drinks.
  5. Heat water for dishes/clean up.

Isle-Royale-2007-122.jpg
Isle-Royale-2007-123.jpg

The entire system worked wonderfully.

The Stove:

The Spirit Stove is meant to last for years without any problems. It's maintenance free—as long as you don't put the lid on when the stove is still hot (you'll ruin the O-ring). Trangia's innovated simmer ring allows a person to control the intensity of the flame, and put it out completely, when he is done cooking. The lid addresses a draw back of alcohol stoves.

With the lid, I don't have to measure out every drop of fuel. I can fill the stove up, cook what I need, and then (after the stove cools down) screw the sealed lid to the top. Any unspent fuel is ready to be used the next time. There's no need to worry about wasted fuel.

A word on fuel consumption: I can bring 2 cups of water to a rapid boil using 0.8oz of fuel. Hiking solo with my own Spirit stove and homemade windscreen, I can go a week of dinners and morning coffee on 10oz of fuel. With our elaborate meals and clean up, we used nearly 2-liters of fuel on this trip. While Trangia refers to this set up as "UltraLight," I would challenge that marketing term. The Trangia 27-8 UL/HA is for the hikers who want to put comfort ahead of weight.

The Windscreen:

Despite rain and (terrifyingly) high winds, the windshield full protected the stove, allowing us to have hot meals. The windscreen serves the double purpose of a pot stand. With its wide base, there was little concern that our meal might dump over. I did feel this set up was a bit bulky and complicated, but as we were hiking for comfort, not distance, this was not a big deal.

The sauce pans are what you would expect from hardanodized aluminum. The efficiently transfer heat, and nestle neatly within the windscreen/pot stand.

The frying pan: It was a surprise to find this pan was non-stick, Teflon coated. This is not in Trangia's description of the item. Not being a fan of Teflon, we went ahead and used it anyway. The pan serves as a lid to contain the cookset and to cover the pans as rice is cooking.

The kettle: This is a nice, but unnecessary addition to the set. It weighs 5oz., but only provides 0.6-liters (2.5 cups) of water.  This would be the first thing I would jettison from the cookset if I were carrying it on my own. However, given we were using both sauce pans for many meals, it was nice to have a dedicated water heater.

SUMMARY:

Trangia doesn't make junk. Their Spirit Stove and the accessories that go with it, are some of the best pieces of equipment you can buy. While I would challenge the "UltraLight" claim on the Trangia 27-8 UL/HA, I would not challenge its quality or versatility.

If you are willing to carry a bit more weight, then I would highly recommend the Trangia 27-8 UL/HA.

Isle-Royale-2007-244.jpg
Rest In Peace, Terry Carter (at left). Terry's trail name was "Caterpillar."
He gave me the trail name "Goose."

Very nice review and pics, Jeffery. Thanks for sharing it.

1 year ago