U.S. Armed Forces ALICE Pack

If you're going to be shlepping an ALICE pack fully…

If you're going to be shlepping an ALICE pack fully loaded, I strongly urge you to make sure you have the frame attached regardless if you have a medium or large pack. Even still, the ALICE is not a very comfortable pack. At the price point they are hard to beat, they average around $30 - $40 on ebay.

If you order one make sure it comes with straps too, often they are sold separately. They are durable and hold a lot of gear. There are no organizational compartments for smaller items such as pocket knives, multi-tools, pens, flashlights etc., but you can purchase an organizational pouch like a Maxpedition EDC or Spec-ops version for $20 - $30 and it will hold all your smaller items nicely. Toss it in a front pocket of the ALICE or inside the bag.

If you like external frame packs I would recommend a Kelty over the ALICE. They can be had for a bargain used on Craigslist and the like.

A simple pack that can take pretty much ANYTHING you…

Max. Load Carried: 65
Height of Owner: 5'8"

A simple pack that can take pretty much ANYTHING you throw at it, and I have never had it fail me. Rain, dust, freezing temperatures, overturned canoes, it's proved itself every time.

I'm partial to earth tones, so the O.D. suits me just fine. A bit heavy, but it is worth the added weight knowing there is no zipper to jam or break. You can load it with a great amount of gear, and by adding the Vietnam issue sleeping bag carrier as well as additional pouches, you can really get a boatload of gear together for camping, or for an extended BOB.

The only problem I had was the mid bar on the frame rubbed my back after an accident, and the bone was fused making my back bulge out. I cut the middle bar out, and it works fine for me. A chest strap was added to the shoulder straps, using this in tandem with the waist buckle.

Overall a great rig, much better than the MOLLE in my opinion.

Well, on the negative side, it's ugly as all hell…

Design: Army issue rucksack
Size: somewhere in the 3-4000 cubic-inch range
Number of Pockets: 3 accessory pouches, 1 map pouch, 3 mag pouches, main compartment
Max. Load Carried: 60 lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 6"

Well, on the negative side, it's ugly as all hell if you don't like OD. So, since I'm a fan of OD, there's not really a negative in my opinon. Well, I guess it could stand to have thicker padding on the straps and belt, but you can buy that, so it's not really a concern.

On the positive, it's big enough to contain a small child, and if you were wearing the thing, by the time you managed to damage the pack, well... you'd be dead.

All in all, it's a real good pack for using in the real world.

P.S. don't EVER wear your ALICE pack over a USGI pistol belt with suspenders, because the kidney pad (the part that takes all the weight) will sit on top of the metal clips on the suspenders, and drive them into your back.
I discovered this yesterday, and have a pair of nasty welts.

This is the best pack ever. Any street kid or train…

Design: 1980's ALICE ruck+frame
Size: medium
Number of Pockets: 5 (1 internal)
Max. Load Carried: 40 pounds
Height of Owner: 5'5"
Price Paid: Fair trade

This is the best pack ever. Any street kid or train hobo will say the same. It has plenty of room for anything you need. You can carry heavy, medium, or light with it. Anyone who says it's "uncomfortable" or "heavy" needs to stop being a wuss. I *lived* out of mine for four months *straight*. When I went somewhere I had it on my back. If I got up from a nap to go to the store 1 mile away I had to carry it so no one stole all my shit. If I could carry this thing every waking hour for four months straight with no problems, being only 5'5" guy, then you can too. Stop crying.

The ALICE pack is a no nonsense, strong and cheap…

Size: 2484 cu inches
Max. Load Carried: 45 pounds
Height of Owner: 5'9"

The ALICE pack is a no nonsense, strong and cheap design from 1960s. There were several versions made for the US Army, medium ALICE and large ALICE. The medium pack can be worn without an external frame, the large pack has to have the external frame because of its size. I am not a big fan of external frames, so my pack does not have one.

While a vast improvement over a school bookbag, the ALICE pack is not the most comfortable design out there. It is still one of my favorites because of our camping history, and because it is tough. I have strapped tents, gallons of water, firewood, all kinds of things onto it, and nothing ever broke The fabric is very durable, and the straps are extremely strong.

I dislike the frameless design because the bag bows out, and sits on your back in an awkward way. The shoulder straps are not heavily padded, and there is no hip belt. With the external frame, you have to use a hip belt, so that may be an improvement in comfort and usability. The stock shoulder straps are about 2.5″ wide, and have less than 1/2″ of padding. When used without the hip belt, all of the weight rides on the shoulders, which makes even a short hikes extremely uncomfortable, and back-breaking. Both shoulder straps have old-school quick release buckles.

The main compartment is 18″ x 12″ x 9″. The front and side panels are not rectangles, so actual dimensions may be a little different. Inside there is a radio pouch. I usually stuff a towel there, to provide some sort of back padding, and to give the pack some shape. The main compartment is closed via a draw cord, and covered with a waterproof flap. The flap can be used a small pocket for snacks, keys, TP, whatever you need quick access to, without getting into the main compartment.

All of the fabric is not waterproof, the Army used special nylon waterproof sacks to keep soldier’s clothes and equipment dry. There are two grommeted drain holes on the bottom. The ALICE pack lacks a carry handle, and the padded pocket in the back, that’s used for external frame fastening, rips off easily if used as a handle.

Read my full review at: http://www.campingsurvivalgearreviews.com/?p=109

This pack is one of my favorites. Mine originally…

Size: 5,000+
Max. Load Carried: 55 pounds
Height of Owner: 67 inches

This pack is one of my favorites. Mine originally came with very well padded and cushy civilian shoulder straps, which I swapped out for original issue straps. Though they aren't as soft or squeaky, They fit my body frame a lot better and breath more.

I think one of the things I love about my ALICE pack is that unlike its civilian counterparts, either internal or external, the parts are easily acquired, for cheap nonetheless, and easily swapped out. I also like this pack cuz I can load it up with upwards of 60 pounds of gear and not have to worry about some thin webbing shearing or plastic external frame breaking.

I have used the generation one MOLLE rucks, and can honestly say I like the ALICE better. Though the ALICE only has one way to get into the main compartment, it can still hold its lashings better and easily takes ALICE gear attachments. When used with the frame, it can become uncomfortable with people over 72 or so inches tall. Luckily I'm still about 67 inches, so it fits just fine.

I do love my large ALICE ruck and hope it serves me well in the military when I enlist. Which I think it will readily.

This tough and flexible backpack is my short trip…

Design: Top loading
Size: About 40 litres with strap on connections (ALICE clips)
Number of Pockets: LC1 has 6 (3-external ammo pouches) LC2 has 3
Max. Load Carried: Ive had 75+ lbs in and on it.
Height of Owner: 5' 8"

Summary

This tough and flexible backpack is my short trip backpack. I can stick about 50 lbs of supplies in it, which is good since I hunt with muzzleloaders and supplies weigh a lot. This pack has never quit.

I replaced the snaps on the outside pockets with quick clips and the shoulder straps and hip belt with the new MOLLE versions, but the original were fine for 15 years. Though the aluminum frame is riveted it holds up extremely well. I've welded my joints for better strength. If you are going to do that get it done professionally.

My only points against it was the frame squeaks sometimes (this can be taped), and it's top loading (thinking how you pack it will help). Altogether though, this is an excellent 'pack for any skill. If you are not hung up on 'trail fashion' then this pack can do whatever you need it to do.

An Addition

Iwas reading online of the Hellcat modification for the ALICE pack. I did that for my son and it's a good modification. Google it or try thefollowing website for direction: http://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com/2011/04/building-hellcat-hybrid-ruck-from-us.html

You can also buy it from a few different websites. This really ressurects the old "tick" into an inexpensive option.

In 2013 I purchased the 1606 Airborne frame from Downeast Inc (its a light-weight polymer) and is rated to 200 lb. I used this combo, the large ALICE on the plastic frame and the MOLLE II straps, as a overnight or day pack for hunting. This is a lightweight and surprisingly good combination. Comfortable and about 5 lb. you can use this short trips with enough room for three or four days worth of gear and "grub".

The frame is $35 from Downeast or as little as half on eBay. If you are on a budget and need a large pack try the ALICE-Molle II mix. It is comfortable and you can get the whole system for less than $75 and will last for decades.

I bought a medium ALICE pack several months ago and…

I bought a medium ALICE pack several months ago and I love it. After around 45 miles worth of day hikes it still looks and functions like brand new. (I bought it surplus, "near mint" condition) I carry light with no frame for the pack.

The issue straps aren't great, but if you distribute the load well, they're pretty comfortable. These make great day packs and the amount of stuff you can fit in it is fairly amazing.

I can't attest to the large framed pack, but if a rugged pratical day pack is what your looking for, you can't beat it.

I have taken an old US ARMY ALICE pack and modified…

Design: front loading internal
Size: 150lt
Number of Pockets: 11
Max. Load Carried: 55kg
Height of Owner: 187cm

I have taken an old US ARMY ALICE pack and modified it to the hilt. It has a sleeping bag compartment sewn into the bottom with a zipper entr. this sleeping bag compartment can collapse to the bottom so as the inside of the pack can carry larger items such as water jerrys or saterlite phones. it has two long pouches on either side to carry camle backs with their carriers, designed to carry 2lt bladders. the inside of the top of the pack has the normal radio pouch which i use to carry 2x 2lt south african water bottles and this keeps the weight closer to your body. I have attached a larger lid with a claymore pouch with a zipper opening which opens away from the pack to allow another person to reach in and deploy a claymore if req. at the front of the pack are another 6 pouches three top ones for first aid equipment rope and marking equipment such as cylume cord rope etc. the bottom three pouches are for food left for breackfast centre for lunch and the right for tea. The frame on either side where the bottom of the pack straps connect have two small pouches attached using cable ties, these pouches are designed to carry first aid dressings. The top inside of the pack I have a light day pack designed to carry mission essential equipment. The pack is made of a mixture of canvas and nylon. The camoflage pattern has been hand painted in an Australian disruptive pattern. It is a well set out pack for Reconnisance work. It can carry up to 5 days food, 12 lt of water communications equipment, varring sleeping equipment mainly targeting a tropical sub tropical climate.

I got the large pack with frame of course and I gave…

I got the large pack with frame of course and I gave it a brief shakedown for a weekend. My son and I went for a hike. He basically carried a day pack with about 10 pounds of stuff in it. I carried the rest. I ended up with 50 pounds strapped to my back at the end of the day and this thing was pretty good.

I've had other external frame packs that were slightly more comfortable but I do have to say that low slung pack aids in balancing. It could definitely benefit form a sternum strap but once you get the thing slung properly for you--everyone is a little different--it's certainly good enough for the average hiker with tons of space and seemingly a pocket for just about everything.

It's not for the gram-weanies though. This is a stout pack not intended for ultra light anything. However if you want to have a lot of creature comforts back at the campsite then this is the pack system for you. If you are the one that cuts the the handle of your toothbrush then you are not going to appreciate this unit.

This pack has been in service with the Army for several…

Design: ALICE Medium, useable without frame
Size: ~3000 cu. in.
Number of Pockets: 3 Large, 1 Internal, 1 Map
Max. Load Carried: 35-40 lbs.
Height of Owner: 5'5"

This pack has been in service with the Army for several decades and is still a wonderfully designed piece of kit. It is built to last. The pack is made with # 420 packcloth, but is not totally waterproof. It can hold a fairly good amount of gear, with 3 large external pockets for quick access to small things. The pack rides on a small aluminum frame, and the kidney pad is nice but is not very comfortable compared to today's waist belts. You can detatch the pack and attach the shoulder straps to the pack to use without the frame, although it is very uncompartable because there is no frame sheet in the back.

I have used this pack to carry almost 40 lbs over a week. The straps pop out ocassionaly over bumpy terrain but if you tighten them and loop them back around they are not a problem. The straps also have a (pointless) quick realease but they sometimes release when you don't want them to.

Overall, this is a wonderful but aged design. It is solid and funtional with not flashy features or unnesesary add ons. It can hold over 50 pounds, and has webbing chains on the side to hold canteens, ammo pouches, butt packs, or anything you want to stick on. Rugged and simple, although not for everyone. If you are not too big on comfort you should be able to handle this ruck.

I have been a user of the ALICE pack or as some call…

Design: Top internal and side pockets
Size: 3,800
Number of Pockets: 2 internal 7 outside
Max. Load Carried: 140 lbs
Height of Owner: 6'

I have been a user of the ALICE pack or as some call it a Rucksack, from the day that the Army gave me one 14 years ago. Well if it's built to go to war, then it can make it through a weekend in the woods or sandy hill.

I have both the med and large packs, I do use a frame with both. But the Med pack is made to be used without a frame, but if you're going out in the heat or cold use a frame. It helps to keep the pack off your back and lets any heat build up out. The med pack was designed to carry up to 50 lbs and large up to 70 lbs but both will go past that.

Both packs have a large center pocket with a small pocket inside of that at the top, the flap that covers the main compartment also works as a pocket. For wet stuff or a map. On the outside you will find 3 nice large pockets and 3 more above that, also on the side's are area to hook on more stuff. Like a canteen or First Aid kit. The pack is not waterproof but you can buy liners to do the job. This is one pack that you can live out of on a trip. Give it a try you will never go back...

I carried a medium and a large ruck for four years…

I carried a medium and a large ruck for four years in the Marine Corps. They are rough and tough and can carry more than you'll ever want. In the eight years that I have been out of the Corps I have tried several different external and enternal frame packs, and my latest experiment is the small Alice ruck. I discovered that no matter what kind of pack you use there is going to be some level of discomfort.

There are several things I like about the Alice packs. 1) It is top loaded, so there are no side zippers to bust out. 2) It is short and stout, no frame bars sticking below your rear or above your head to get caught on branches and brush. 3) Durable, I've carried them across deserts, through triple canopy jungle, over mountains and even went swimming with them and they hold true all the way. 4) Extra pockets to help you separate certain gear in order of importance. 5) Simple color, so you don't look like someone ate a bag of skittles and then puked it on your bag.

If you do decide to buy one you might try a sternum strap... you'll thank me later. Also for those who are masters at "JERRY RIGGING," extra padding for those kidneys might help too.

I got my medium ALICE pack and frame from a deactivating…

Design: Top-loading external frame
Number of Pockets: M-3 L-6
Max. Load Carried: M-70+lbs L-Unkn
Height of Owner: 5'11"
Price Paid: Varies

I got my medium ALICE pack and frame from a deactivating Air Force Rescue unit back in 1990-91. I still use it to this day. It is very sturdy, can hold a lot more than its rated weight (sandbags plus gear, flak vest and chemical protective gear). It has three outer pockets, plus a "bonus" pocket in the top flap that's waterproof, and it has webbing for ALICE clip or similar equipment, so you can hang things on it also (canteens, entrenching tools, etc.)

Without the frame, the medium makes a good 3/4 day pack. On deployments, I put the frame in a checked bag, and use the pack as my carry on. Great for carrying blankets, etc.

I bought my large brand new, plenty of use from it, use it to carry my uniforms, toiletries, etc., on deployments, tons of room (a kid can fit inside of it). It has three large pockets and three small ammo pockets on the outside, plus the flap pocket. Several military equipment tailors offer modifcations for the large pack that add 7 or more pockets and multiple improvements for this pack.

One thing that I like about the frame design is that it rides high, and is relatively narrow, so it works well if you are wearing an equipment/web belt.

I have owned and used several different types of packs,…

Design: Alice pack
Size: large and medium
Number of Pockets: 3 external, 1 internal for a radio
Max. Load Carried: 70 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'8"

I have owned and used several different types of packs, having worked as a alpine mountain guide, professional ski patrolman and having been involved with mountain rescue. When comparing the Alice Pack to frame packs, internal frame packs or soft packs I will say it is a good solid pack.

It has no zippers to fail when you need it most. The sewing is bomb proof. It can be used as a soft pack or add its frame and you can improve the load carrying comfort for bulky loads that wouldn't carry well in internal frame pack or you wouldn't want to carry in you several hundred dollar pack ( Elk Quarters or boxes for example).

The basic Alice Pack can be improved upon by adding aftermarket thicker padded shoulder straps and hip belt, the difference is money well spent. The pack will fall short in some peoples eyes because the military-issue shoulder straps and hip belt are not very well padded and the nylon material is not waterproof (put load into waterproof bags).

The pack dose not extend up to add more load carrying capacity, hunters who hunt in the mountains may like this feature as the head will not come into contact with the top of the pack.

The issue straps suck and the frame needs a lot of…

Max. Load Carried: 40
Height of Owner: 6'

The issue straps suck and the frame needs a lot of help. BUT, with a 25 dollar pack, and 25 dollar aftermarket shoulder straps, this is a fairly comfortable pack when carried frameless. Considering that the basic design is almost 40 years old, and was designed to be worn with more padding under it, that's an acceptable trade off.

I know people whine because it is heavy. Guess what- I've had my ALICE go sliding down a 50' rock face, and there was only minor scuffs on it. The ultralight wonderpacks, on the other hand, I've torn seams out of trying to scratch myself under them. I've also watched them get slashed up by taking them through any kind of serious brush - fine for the tail, but not for the woods. I'll take heavy and working over light and busted any day.

I have used an Australian version of the US Army medium…

Design: rucksack medium alice pack varient
Max. Load Carried: 25kgs
Height of Owner: 5'11"
Price Paid: $100 + frame and straps rrp $275 + frame and straps

I have used an Australian version of the US Army medium alice pack. the version is made by an Australian company called Platatac. The straps are made my ausweb gear.

I love my Alice Pack. I have used it on field activities with the Australian air force cadets. I use the frame with enhanced straps and kidney straps. I have carried it when it had 25kgs of gear in it for 12km straight while also using webbing and I was not in any discomfort after that.

I would recommend this pack to anyone. The pouches on this pack are similar to the US Alice pack one's, except they are longer and where the webbing straps are on the sides of the pack there are pouches that have been sewn on there is also a claymore pouch on the lid.

I won this pack on Ebay not very long ago. It is an…

Design: Top loading rucksack
Size: Medium--2400 cubic in.
Number of Pockets: 2 internal...4 external.
Max. Load Carried: 65 #'s without frame
Height of Owner: 5'-11"

I won this pack on Ebay not very long ago. It is an unissued original US GI medium pack in absolutely MINT condition! The LC-2 frame is flat grey in color...almost looks parkerized. Not a scratch on it! I swapped out the shoulder straps for a set of "enhanced" straps from BLACKHAWK (OD in color). The rubber coating under top cover is MINT. This pack looks as if it was in a time-capsule for the last 20 yrs!

This is my only complaint with this pack...I find that when the frame is mounted I have much less load carrying ability. The frame is meant for heavier load carrying, but I can pack much more without the frame. Without the frame it's almost like a large "assault pack". All-in-all this is a beautiful ruck.

The army really knows how to make some tough gear,…

Design: A.L.I.C.E.
Number of Pockets: 1 main, 3 outside
Max. Load Carried: 50lbs
Height of Owner: 6'1''

The army really knows how to make some tough gear, but forget about comfort and style. I use a medium and the lumbar pad hits me way too high in the back. The lack of a sternum strap is another negative but I have put one on myself. But the pack can handle a heavy load with ease. I have only had 50lbs in it for long trips, but close to 80lbs for shorter trips and the pack performed well. The best thing about it, though, is that it is pretty much bombproof. The simple design makes it a good selection and it comes in very nice colors. If you get the chance, you should buy one.

I love my ALICE! this backpack is by far the best…

I love my ALICE! this backpack is by far the best backpack I ever owned. Unless you grab a knife or something sharp and go at it, you are not going to damage this ruck period. Is as close to bulletproof as it can get.

It has a very simple design. One main compartment, (very roomy, you can literally carry loads and loads in it). Three huge pockets on the outside (combine these and you have almost as much room as the pain pouch)
Durability? Well, I am still to see anything in the market that comes even close to the ALICE. Go buy yourself one, you’ll see what I mean.

Rugged, simple and no thrills pack. I have used all…

Size: large
Max. Load Carried: 60 lbs
Height of Owner: 6'1"
Price Paid: Isssued to me in 1989 ( free )

Rugged, simple and no thrills pack. I have used all sorts of packs from all sorts of makers and still migrate back to simple.

The large pack was designed to be lived out of for extended periods in a hostile environment. With this in mind I feel that it will serve the weekend to extended hiker/backpacker just fine. Load it correctly and it will hump a load with the best of them.

Are you people nuts? I carried a "tick" for years. …

Are you people nuts? I carried a "tick" for years.  At the end of special forces selection I had cuts into my back from the kidney pad and waist belt. I still have the scars to this day.

This pack is designed for the jungle and not the AT.  It doesn't go above the base of the neck so soldiers with helmets could look up when they were laying down with it on, and so they wouldn't be caught up with vines and other plant life when going off the trail.

Consequently the load goes out from your back in a horizontal line rather than up and you will HAVE to bend over to counter balance the load. A nonadjustable one size fits all frame?  REALLY?  Unless your exactly 5' 10" your screwed.

It sucks. Don't buy it unless you're broke. Actually don't buy it at all.

Palmer

This pack is awful, I was relieved when we switched to the MOLLE for comfort but ALICE was way more durable. Civilian packs are great for comfort and hiking.... not military packs!

I have owned my u.s. army large alice pack for six…

Design: RUCKSACK
Size: 3,800
Number of Pockets: SIX
Max. Load Carried: 50 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'1
Price Paid: $69.99 (retail)

I have owned my u.s. army large alice pack for six years. It has been used in panama by my father who was in the 82nd airborne division for 2 1/2 years. My pack is still in very great condition. It is very durable and strong. It has six outer pockets and one field radio pocket inside and one compartment in the flap. I recommend it for a five day campout. It is also good for hiking and hunting. One last thing it is very comfortable.

This is just simply the best pack I've ever used.

Design: A.L.I.C.E. pack (large)
Number of Pockets: 1main,6outside
Max. Load Carried: 80 lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 11"

This is just simply the best pack I've ever used. It's beautiful in its sheer simplicity and ruggedness. I've owned mine for over six years and have traveled all around the world with it and it still looks and performs great. If you don't want a modern, colorfully nauseating, techno-pack than I HIGHLY recommend this rucksack. If you want to know a trick for getting it on with heavy loads (w/out a back injury or knocking over bystanders) than you can e-mail me.

I get this Large ALICE pack complete... I work in…

Design: Rucksack
Size: Large, not sure...
Number of Pockets: 6
Max. Load Carried: 50 pounds
Height of Owner: 5 feets 8 inches

I get this Large ALICE pack complete... I work in construction so I carry helmet, gloves, safety glases, full body rain suit, a M65 Jacket and some tools. It's imposible to fit all in any regular backpack and ride my scooter, but with this ALICE pack it's really easy and confortable for my back. I love my backpack.

I've humped one for 12 years and wouldn't trade it…

Max. Load Carried: 85lbs
Height of Owner: 65"

I've humped one for 12 years and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. With a few slight mods, you can easily put 75lbs in it and go for days. Just like a good pair of boots, once you get used to it, it won't fail you.

IMHO Alice packs were designed to keep the RAP in…

IMHO Alice packs were designed to keep the RAP in business. An old design,functional yes but not user friendly by any means when compared to modern load carrying kit.

Just my opinion
Dave

A tough but antiquated design. This is not the pack…

Design: rucksaCK
Number of Pockets: 6
Max. Load Carried: 80lbs
Height of Owner: 5'10"
Price Paid: military issue

A tough but antiquated design. This is not the pack to buy if you want comfort but if you are looking for a cheap pack that you can run over with a truck and still use this is it. This pack is grossly outclassed by almost every civilian pack on the market.

A heavy-duty, well-made pack that you can pick up…

Design: Top-loading rucksack
Max. Load Carried: 50 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'10"

A heavy-duty, well-made pack that you can pick up for $30 to $50 (used in good shape) complete with frame, hip belt and shoulder straps. Lots of attachment points. Good size for a weekend trip. The large ALICE pack is better for a week-long trip, has six (6) pockets and a much bigger main bag.

Okay, WHY are you guys buying these things???? My…

Design: rucksack external frame
Size: medium
Max. Load Carried: don't know
Height of Owner: 6 feet

Okay, WHY are you guys buying these things???? My complaints are these.

1) The pack is really really heavy.

2) The metal frame is uncomfortable and the cross brace is weak.

3) It was originally designed for carrying 60+ pounds worth of supplies and ammo.

Guys just stay away from the military surplus stuff.

Listen, this pack kicks ass. For those who can appreciate…

Listen, this pack kicks ass. For those who can appreciate the sheer simplicity and ruggedness of a pack-pack, the ALICE pack is the one for you.

I was issued the ALICE medium pack with frame by the…

I was issued the ALICE medium pack with frame by the Army and carried it around many miles. Still have the same one and use for camping and hiking. I always liked it.

It has plenty of room and is well-balanced. It distributes the weight pretty well between shoulders and hips. It is never fun to carry around all your belongings on your back, but this pack does the job as well as can be expected.

I have read an army review of troops in Afghanistan using the MOLLE system, and troops and commanders wished that they had brought along their old ALICE packs. One company commander said he should have brought a container full of them.

I did not like this pack. I used to be a grunt carry…

Design: Ruck sack
Size: 3500?
Max. Load Carried: 80 lbs, usually 50 pounds
Height of Owner: 6'3"
Price Paid: issued as TA-50

I did not like this pack. I used to be a grunt carry this pack around such places like Fort Benning, Fort Lewis, Yakima Firing Center, and Germany.

It is a very heavy design, though it is durable.

It is not very comfortable with heavy loads. It put a lot of stress on my back over the years I had to carry it. After I left the service I got by a car. My doctor noticed that I had calcification in my back from all that weight all those times I carried the pack. This was over a four year period. I was 22 to 26 years old. I do not recommend this pack for anyone for a prolonged period of time.

I tested one of these packs that a friend was given…

Design: top loader
Size: too big and heavy
Number of Pockets: who cares

I tested one of these packs that a friend was given recently and have got to say they are rugged, rough, uncomfortable and really only any good for what they were designed for, lumping heavy stuff with no thought for the wearer.

Anyone who really thinks that these things are comfortable should try some of the Wilderness Equipment packs from Australia. They are the best packs in the world bar none and they make these things look like an old bed frame thrown on your back. Get into the new century and do yourselves a favour, you will wonder why you ever bothered with this crap.

I tried this pack because I find the hip belts on…

Design: rucksack
Size: Approx. 3,500 cubic inches ??
Number of Pockets: 1 large, two medium, 3 small and one top flap pocket.
Max. Load Carried: approx. 40 lbs.
Height of Owner: 5' 10"

I tried this pack because I find the hip belts on commercial packs too constraining. This pack's kidney protector pad rests on my back, just above my butt and is very comfortable. For me, this pack position takes a lot of the weight off my shoulders. I upgraded the shoulder straps to ones that have better padding. I also like the large main compartment and the three outside pockets. Lastly, this is the old European rucksack design instead of the new pack designs which are getting taller every year.

Pros: Rugged, durable, not eye-jarring in the boondocks.

Design: Top-loading rucksack-type
Number of Pockets: 5 (medium) to 7 (large)
Max. Load Carried: 60+ lbs
Height of Owner: 6'3"
Price Paid: $30-$80

Pros: Rugged, durable, not eye-jarring in the boondocks. Indestructible. Inexpensive. Good pack for young people until they grow into a bigger one.

Cons: The load tends to ride low, and sticks out from the body a ways, affecting comfort and balance. Only one size frame which may be hard on the taller user - best suited for 19-23" torsos. I'm 6'3" and Lady ALICE is hard on me on long hikes - if the shoulder straps are right, the waist belt rides too high and cuts off wind.

The people that wrote these reviews have not 'humped"…

Design: Frame Type Pack
Size: Large
Number of Pockets: 3 large outside 3 small outside
Max. Load Carried: 100 +
Height of Owner: Was 6'1" when i went in now 6'

The people that wrote these reviews have not 'humped" this pack OR they've never carried a good pack and don't know the difference. Tough (yes), lots of pockets (yes), Worst pack I can think of to carry.

SF people finally got Gregory to build the SPEAR system. THANK GOD.

If you've owned or used an U.S. Armed Forces ALICE Pack, please share your experience.

U.S. Armed Forces ALICE Pack

The U.S. Armed Forces ALICE Pack is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new external frame backpack, check out the best reviewed current models.