Under Armour ColdGear Infrared Werewolf Jacket

LIKE AN ARMOR SHELL. I'll start with the con. I think…

Summary

LIKE AN ARMOR SHELL.

Pros

• Warm
  • Versatile
  • Rugged

Cons

• Fit

I'll start with the con. I think the fit of UA in general seems to be as if they are made for tall skinny guys. That being said I tried to find this jacket to try on before purchasing it, but was unsuccessful in finding it in my area. I tried on other jackets by UA and found the same to be true. I bought it online at a great price and went with the small because I wanted it for under, and not over. The sleeves fit perfect but the length of the jacket was a bit long for my build (5-8, 150).

I was looking for a really warm mid-layer, and the Werewolf Jacket met those needs well. At first it fit snug around the chest, but has loosened up since wearing and now feels snug, but good snug like a suit of armor. There's no draw cord on the hood, but this is not a problem for me as it is layered under another jacket with a drawstring hood. It fits perfectly under my 2 layer waterproof/windproof soft shell jacket, and those and a base layer have kept me warm as toast down to 0 degrees. I added one more layer and was perfect at 20 below. So, even in the small I can fit a base and mid layer under it comfortably.

The jacket seems strongly built and has plenty of pockets for stuff. It packs small, and would also be handy on a crispy fall day or cool summer night as an easy warming layer. I really wish I could have felt how a medium fit, but think it might have been long in the sleeves and too long in the body where it might bunch up underneath a shell. I don't have the comparison so I can't say for sure, but I am happy with the way the small fits me because it serves my purpose to be a fairly tight mid-layer.

When I'm wearing this jacket I really feel like I'm protected by it alone, or under a shell. I'm sure this jacket would also work great in a large for me as an over the top layer. I was very comfortable and not sweating wearing this completely layered up on a 17 degree day and in a store fore a half an hour.

I think this jacket was a great addition to my snowshoeing apparel as well as every day use. I could see this being a perfect layer with a base underneath for a 25 degree snowshoe. I can tell the Werewolf Jacket will be go to protection on any kind of weather. Very cool jacket!