Vasque Breeze 2.0 GTX

Great shoe for hiking or backpacking! The Gore-tex…

Price Paid: $140 (lower price because I used my REI dividend

Summary

Great shoe for hiking or backpacking! The Gore-tex is a great feature of this product, making it waterproof. Strong sole, which is great for hiking with 30-lb plus packs. Protected my feet against blisters. Very good ankle support.

Pros

• Gore-tex for waterproofing
  • Strong sole
  • Great ankle support

Cons

• Ventilation
  • Traction in snow

I purchased the Vasque Breeze 2.0 in April for my May trip to the Smokey Mountains. I purchased them at my local REI store. The shoe salesman told me that I needed a heavier boot for my trip to support the weight of my pack and also because of the environment I would be hiking in. I had been using very lightweight Merrells for 5 years and I got blisters every trip I went on.

After backpacking for 6 days in the Smokies, I didn't get a single blister with the Vasques. The Gore-tex waterproofing was a plus as you can ford through small streams without getting your feet soaked. However, if the water is over your ankles then your feet are getting soaked and it is a pain to get your boots dry.

They provide great ankle support so it is very hard to roll your ankle while wearing these. You do need to break in these boots before going on a trip.  Your feet will thank you for it.

Some cons to be aware of are the traction in snowy conditions. They performed ok, but I didn't get the grip I expected from them. However, I have worn them a lot this winter as the Gore-tex does a nice job of keeping your feet dry from the snow.

Lastly, the ventilation is not bad, but your feet don't breathe as much with this shoe as compared with a non Gore-tex shoe. It basically comes down to which is more important to you: A shoe that protects your feet from getting wet, or a shoe that allows your feat to breathe.

Overall, I feel that the pro's out weigh the cons and that you should go out and buy the Vasque Breeze 2.0 hiking/backpacking boots for your next trip.

Nice review. NEVER listen to REI salesmen. I can't tell you how much bad advice I have heard from them over the years. Many of them are people working a minimum wage job with no real outdoor knowledge. That heavy-duty boot line is something they hear others say and then repeat with authority. Last time I bought shoes there, the sales guy told me "There is no way you can backpack a long distance in light shoes!" I responded that I've hiked hundreds of miles in lightweight Merrel's in all kinds of terrain. He didn't outright call me a liar, but he shook his head and said, "Well, I can't help you if you don't want my advice." I wouldn't trust REI salesmen to give me good outdoors advice any more than I would trust a GNC employee to give me good medical advice. Do your research before you go into a store and know what you want. The key to blisters are good socks and proper foot care. Drop your pack baseweight to under 20lbs and you can hike in sneakers (ok, DON'T actually hike in sneakers. I'm just saying you could). Some folks hike the Appalachian Trail in Chaco Sandals.

Jim Sarcia

Thanks for the feedback Goose. You're probably right about the REI salesman, I'm glad it worked out in this case. I knew I needed to upgrade my merrel's as they just didn't work well for me in the past. I usually carry a pack that weighs 30-35 lbs so I needed a heavier duty boot.

Great any-season boots that fit well. Fit: I have…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Great any-season boots that fit well.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Ankle support
  • Light

Cons

• Can get hot on your feet
  • Treads don't always self clean

Fit: I have oddly sized feet and these boots accommodate my feet extremely well, no chaffing or blisters. A common issue for most however is that the toe box is too narrow.

Comfort: These boots wore well from the first time I put them on and have not suffered from prolonged use.

Support: I like to have a boot with lots of ankle support and this boot offers such without chaffing as I am accustomed to.

Water Resistance: The only time my feet have gotten wet from these boots was when water was deeper than the cuff, for which there is no easy solution.

Traction: Great traction; however, traction can be lost with mud build up on a wet hike.

Temp Control: Probably best described as a three-season boot, it does a passable job with keeping your feet warm but can get hot with vigorous action.

Ease of Use: I have not encountered any issues with these boots, but there is a occasional issue of separation between sole and upper in early models.

Durability: I have not had any issues with this pair of boots and have been hiking in them for almost a year.

These are a great pair of lightweight hiking boots,…

Price Paid: $115 on sale at REI

Summary

These are a great pair of lightweight hiking boots, super comfortable and waterproof (Gore Tex) to boot! These boots are very supportive for your ankles, and are amazingly comfortable mile after mile in varying conditions.

The break-in period seemed very short compared to other boots, my feet felt great after the first hike and every hike there after. These boots are best for someone seeking ankle support, comfort, and durability.

I would definitely recommend these boots to anyone!

Pros

• Comfort
  • Durability
  • Ankle support
  • Waterproof

Cons

• Not for small volume feet
  • Insides dry slow if wet

These boots fit my feet very well, and the break-in period was almost nonexistent. Plenty of toe room, great ankle support, and my ankle stays locked in.

My feet are on the small side for volume, and the laces are pulled tight so much that the loops are almost touching! This does not affect the fit for me, they are still really comfortable... they just seem to be more for a larger volume foot.

Unlike most other boots I have tried, the break-in period for the Vasque Breeze was, well, a breeze. Usually my feet are sore after the first couple of hikes, but these boots left my feet feeling great right from the start. I have never experienced any chaffing or blisters from these boots, either. Nor have I experienced any pebbles or dirt entering the boot during a hike, even while wearing shorts.

I haven't tested the waterproof abilities for these boots since I live in a dry climate, but I have stomped through some mud with no issues whatsoever. The tread has no  issues gripping any surface I throw at it including scrambling across rock slide areas. The Gore Tex lining also breathes well, and with sock liners my feet stay dry even in the hottest temps.

These boots are easily my favorite piece of hiking gear, they are reliable, tough, and comfortable. They live up to my every expectation. They are made by Redwing, and I have owned several of there shoes and boots and like the others they don't disappoint and last, last, last.

Good boot for waterproofing and heavier hiking or…

Summary

Good boot for waterproofing and heavier hiking or backpacking.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Aggressive tread

Cons

• Heavy

These are great boots if you are looking for a heavier boot for longer trips in which you will use a heavy backpack. I know NOLS recommends these for their backpacking courses which are usually 30 days or longer  and the packs weigh into the 40s and 50s. I bought these for my Philmont trip in July and have using them on my shakedown hikes to get ready.

They feature Vibram soles which means they will both last for many miles and have a good grip. They also feature an insole which is based on trail running shoes so they are comfortable from right out of the box. After a 2 hour rainstorm in the day and an all night storm my feet were still able to keep dry in them.

I would not recommend them if you are going to be using them with packs that weigh less than about 25 lbs or if the average temperatures are going to be in the high 90s or 100s.