Vasque Snowburban UltraDry

I purchased these boots when I realized that my low-hikers,…

Price Paid: $120 (on sale)

Summary

I purchased these boots when I realized that my low-hikers, despite applications of chemical waterproofing, were definitely not going to keep my feet dry on winter hikes, snowshoeing, and during slushy spring hikes.

I decided to splurge, and shell out the bucks for these boots, and I am extremely satisfied...they are great boots, and well worth the investment (though at first the name "Snowburban" put me off...sounded too much like suburban!).

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Warm

Cons

• Laces can be a bit slick, hard to pull tight

vasque-boots.jpg

I purchased these boots just over a year ago, so they have seen nearly daily use from January to April, and then again since last November. There was a very brief (2-3 short hikes) break-in period, but I very quickly realized these would be very comfortable, and solid boots for me.

They weigh in at 1lb  13 oz. per boot. To me, they seem quite light, and I never feel as though I am wearing concrete blocks on my feet (as I have with some other boots!).

These boots are extremely comfortable. Initially I was concerned that they may be "too high", but the upper material has some nice flexibility, yet provides good support. They are warm, but not oppressively so; I have used them in temperatures from minus 20 (f), to 40 degrees (f), with only a light or mid-weight hiking sock.

I use the boots for Microspikes hiking on icy,hard packed snow, or shoulder-season conditions of slush/ice/mud/snow, and they provide a good, secure feeling, and my feet have never gotten wet. In the winter, I also use them frequently for snowshoeing, and they have served very nicely. The molded heel helps the snowshoe strap stay in place. There is a small d-ring on the base of the laces, for attachment of gaiters.

When I use the boots w/o snowshoes or spikes, they appear to have a good traction sole, yet do not collect lots of mud or snow on the sole.

I would certainly recommend these boots to others.

tubbs-7-heel.jpg

Nice review, Shelia. Thank you!

Thanks for the review, Sheila. I had the same initial reaction to the name. I'm glad they've worked out well for you.

300winmag

Insulation? If so how much? Removable liner? I want winter boots with a good insulating removable liner like Sorel felt pacs or my Scarpa T3 backcountry ski boots. Liners come out at night and into my sleeping bag. In the morning I have very warm liners to use. NO frozen feet.

Sheila Goss

400g insulation,thinsulate, not a removeable liner. I no longer winter camp, but these are warm in temps well below zero f. for day long excursions....

300winmag

OK, for "day boots" where you can dry them out at home overnight.