Vasque Talus UltraDry

Great midweight, leather, hiker. Solid, supportive…

Summary

Great midweight, leather, hiker. Solid, supportive sole, mid height great compromise between low top and full high top boot. Vibram sole.

Pros

• Solid sole
  • Leather construction
  • Waterproof

Cons

• Longer break-in period

I wear between a 9 and 10 men's depending on the shoe and what activity I'm doing.  The associate in the store said that these run small.  I walked around in the store for about an hour in the 9.5 men's and tried the size 9 on just for comparison.  The size 9 fit great.

These are a stiffer boot, so they have a very supportive sole and an upper that requires a little more break-in period compared to most hikers. The cuff is cut away in the back and has a synthetic section at the top which is very flexible, so it doesn't dig in to the ankle, but also offers much less support than if the leather went all the way to the top. This is a mid height boot, and not a full height boot.

If you ever wore the old Vasque Sundowners (before they changed the design and moved production overseas), these fit very similar to them.

They seem fairly breathable for a (mostly) all leather boot, and they keep water out without any issues.

Construction seems solid on these boots.

I love the soles on these. They have great traction and are solid and supportive enough to not beat my feet up when hiking on rocky terrain.

I'm hoping the smaller than usual size won't come back to bite me when I get a chance to try them out backpacking.

Been wearing them for about 2 months.  I'll try to post a followup after a bunch more miles in them.

Great boot for backpacking or day-hiking. Comfortable…

Summary

Great boot for backpacking or day-hiking. Comfortable and roomy fit, especially for those with problem feet. The closest I've found to a perfect boot.

Pros

• Excellent traction
  • Sturdy build
  • excellent value

I have had a history of foot problems, which makes finding a great boot tricky. I am an extreme overpronater... no arch in the right foot and almost no arch in the left... long toes... narrow heels... and sizable bunions on both feet. I especially have difficulty finding a boot with a big enough toebox that my toes don't get hammered on steep downhills.

When it came time to get new boots, I tried on a couple dozen pair of different brands and styles. I kept coming back to the Vasque Talus UD.

After eight months of day hikes and backpack trips, I have to say that I am very happy with them. I have thrashed through the mountains in winter and summer... wet and dry conditions. The fit is great, despite all of the quirks of my feet. Plenty of room in the toebox on the downhill. The Vibram sole has excellent stability and traction on dry and wet. The proprietary Ultra-dry keeps the feet dry through splashy creek crossing and muddy trails. And the boot stays comfortable on high mileage days.

I seemed to need a bit of break-in time. There was a spot on my right bunion which rubbed for a while (blisters prevented by using Leukotape), but that seems to have disappeared.

The old school nubuck leather construction is sturdy, and after eight months, they are still in solid shape, and I think I'll get several years of use from them.

All in all, this seems to be the closest thing to a perfect boot for me. Highly recommended, if you need lots of room up front, and want a classic styled mid leather boot.

If you've owned or used a Vasque Men's Talus UltraDry, please share your experience.