Vivo Barefoot Ultra Pure

A great, lightweight camp and water sport shoe! So…

Summary

A great, lightweight camp and water sport shoe!

Pros

• Seamless
  • Fun colors

Cons

• Could have better traction
  • Sizing a little funny

So far, I am extremely thrilled with this shoe. I was looking for a lightweight camping shoe to take backpacking, I wanted something more than the flip flop but nothing quite and heavy/big/clunky as crocs.

These shoes don't squash down too terribly well, but they are light and easy to strap to the outside of my pack. They are great for around camp, tying the bear bag, late night trips into the brush, etc. They let your feet breathe and you can wear a good pair of wool socks inside as well. If need be you could hike out in these, just in case you are prone to losing your boots!

It's a great shoe for jumping in and out of a kayak, though watch out for funny tan lines! It's not bad scampering around on rocks and such, it doesn't have TERRIBLY great traction, about the same as a flip flop or birkenstock. If they get wet they don't have to dry as they are just a foam plastic, the same material as crocs I think.

Now this is all regarding the shoe WITHOUT the 'running' sock it comes with. Or at least some models come with. This makes the inside of the shoe noticeably smaller and supposedly much more rugged.

I am a 7.5 shoe, I got an 8. With the sock it fits quite snuggly. It was a little tough to get my foot in and out with the sock insert inside, but I managed. I also have a very wide duck-shaped foot. I do not plan to ever run in these so I really don't use the sock insert. A pair of Smartwools inside around the campfire surfaces quite nicely. Without the sock they fit, are roomy in the toe box so my toes can breathe, definitely wouldn't want to run in them without the sock.

I really like these. We will see how they hold up to running around on rocks and getting poked with sticks, but my hopes are high!

Thanks for sharing your camp shoe review, Sarah. I hope you'll keep us posted on how they continue to fare. If you're willing, I'd love to see some pics of your shoes in action too.

I echo the call for pictures. I want to see this sock you talked about.

rated 5.00 of 5 stars All Ultra Pure versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there is 1 review for another version of the Ultra Pure. Read all reviews »